Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Off Road Racer's Corner

Off Road Racer's Corner ISDE, Enduro, Hare Scrambles, etc.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:42 PM

I hate to swim against the tide, but I was given an original Pacemaker by a buddy that quit riding and had no further use for his. I've used it for the last 3 seasons without a problem that wasn't my fault. Mine uses AA baterries, not 9V (it's OLD), and I put a fresh set in for every race, but other than that, it's been fine. If I had a choice between that and the ProComp, I'd take the ProComp...it's a very nice unit (son runs one), but for the price (free in my case) the Pacemaker has been great. I wouldn't necessarily reject one out of hand if the price was right.

Tim H

Old 07-21-2009, 01:46 PM

Oops, meant to compare to the ICO Checkmate (what son is running), a fine unit indeed.

Tim H
Confused
Old 07-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I own a pacemaker, needs to be repaired though. I wiped out on a nasty wet day and it took a shot to its case a couple seasons back and started leaking and the race program screwed up and I had to wing it the rest of the event. Never got it fixed as that is its main down fall. Fred had in the past been far to busy racing and not putting full effort into the business.

I really like it but as said they aren't the most reliable. Are a little wide and eat 9 volts in 1 event. The 9 volt connectors do come off the wiring if you aren't careful installing battery's also.

If it was reliable I would take it over the ICO checkmate in a heart beat.
It has all info on the main screen including min and sec and the screen is not busy with a bunch of B. S. info I don't need like on the ICO. Its large and easy to read while bouncing around the trail. Also I would rather be able to change my own battery's then have to send it in every couple of years to get them changed out like the ICO. I also am not a big fan of the auto cal that ICO has put on their computer, I find it can make you chase mileage around if the club that put on the event mileage is not consistently the same. Oh and so you know the ICO is what I have been running over the past 2 seasons yes successfully but not as comfortably.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 07-21-2009, 09:17 PM

Roscoe's post echos everything I heard and read about the Pacemaker. Great unit when it's working. I got a Watchdog. It's simple, functional, and bulletproof.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:51 AM

Thanks for the additional info.

I guess the battery life would be a deal breaker for me as I'd also like to use it on my old Husky for putting around town. (Unless someone has an old mechanical speedo that would work on that beast )
'04 Duc M800 R.I.P
'06 Duc S2r 1000 R.I.P
'07 Duc S2r 1000 still rubber side down...
----------------------------------------------------------
May be so... May be not so...

My Website