Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:23 PM

The slave cylinder isn't a problem after you bleed it. The slave cylinder makes it very easy to set the Free Gain on the rekluse auto clutch. You are probably okay with the GG basket, but the Rekluse basket is quiet and much stronger.

I am running a Honda Fiber clutch pack and it works great. I only had trouble because one of the steel plates that Rekluse sent me was the wrong size, 2.25mm. After rekluse sent me the correct replacement steel plate, it all dropped in and worked fine.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar

Old 07-24-2013, 06:17 AM

I would take that clutch as soon as you can and have a look at it. I had the SAME probs with my "12 300 clutch. It howled, grabbed and screeched since I got it a few months ago. Took clutch apart and 7/11 webbings supports were sheered from the basket fingers and were being chewed in my tranny. The remaining 3 webbings were already cracked and ready to sheer off aswell. I also had a broken tab on one of my fibre plates (probably caused by the broken off webbings).

I had already ordered a Rekluse Clutch Case as my stock case was weeping... but after this discovery, I went ahead and ordered a Rekluse outer basket aswell, and new fibres from Gofasters. I almost decided to just go ahead and order the full EXP Core II but decided to wait.

Now, after roughly 10 hrs of rippin and tearin.....no leaks, grabbiness, howling and no squawking at all.

Not sure why my '12 outer clutch basket was so weak. Some have suggested poor quality control in Spain. A buddy had an 07 300 and never touched a wrench on it for 5 summers and 20 000 kms, except for reg maintanence and an LTR Jetting install....the entire bike was basically bulletproof.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:29 AM

Interesting. I see some exploratory surgery in the Gasser's near future.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:28 AM

My GG basket looked fine(see the photos on the thread). But when you place the Rekluse Basket next the GG Basket(see the thread again), the Rekluse Basket is a much higher level of design and construction. Also,the Rekluse is quiet.

I'm not knocking the GG stuff, I was installing a Core EXP Auto Clutch and I didn't want to take a chance on a basket self destructing and trashing my motor.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 07-28-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto7man View Post
If you buy the Rekluse Basket make sure that you measure the hole in the center of your OEM basket. It will either be 40mm or 46mm.
My basket hole (minus the gear insert) is 40mm (33mm with the insert).

Everything looks normalish.

I had read something about a special basket spacer for the GG to keep the mechanism from s raping the inside of the clutch cover. I had none in my kut so I am reusing the OEM washer.

Hmmmm. No gasket in the Kit. Off to AutoZone for some material.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GGBasket.jpg (120.2 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by AZRickD; 07-28-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:09 PM

Everything is installed.

The clutch drags, so (if I read the directions correctly) I should go clock-wise a click or two.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:34 AM

Well... two hours of fiddling later...

I kinda figured there was an "art" to this. That finding of "the starting point" is step one of the fudge factor. I found some facsimile of the "starting point" and dutifully did my one complete turn. Since this was a used Core EXP, I added the two "tics", all the time wondering if it was the tic marks that were the "tics" or the numbers that were the tics. I assumed it was the tics that were the tics.

So, as stated above, the clutch dragged and stalled on the first attempt. I took the cover off and adjusted a couple of tics clock-wise. Still dragging. A couple more. Still dragging. A couple more. Dragging less. Finally I got it to were it barely caused the bike to every-so-slightly inch forward. It didn't stall. I did a couple of tics more and it was too my liking but when I raced it down the street it was slipping badly. I backed off the adjuster to the point where it didn't drag at idle and it didn't slip at speed. Now I need a nasty hill climb to really test it. I bet that thing is gonna get really hot.

I can see the utility of the adjustable slave cylinder. Heck, necessity of it. I might have to order one, assuming Rekluse has it figured out for the Gasser (I read the horror stories).

Meh. I've felt better-tuned EXPs on other bikes. Maybe I need to do some more tuning. At least I have the option of removing the EXP and installing an extra fiber and steel to make it a manual.

I also put a washer on the brake lever to give it some clearance from the Rekluse clutch cover. I used a full 1,000 ml of Walmart ATF, by the way.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
I used a full 1,000 ml of Walmart ATF, by the way.
Rekluse recommends the non synthetic Shell Rotella. I am running the synthetic Shell Rotella simply bc its what I was running before. If I have any issues then I will switch to the non synthetic Rotella, you can buy both at Walmart.

I know you read my posts about what a pain it is to bleed the Rekluse Slave Cylinder. However, once its set up, its easy to fine tune your "free gain" on the auto clutch.

―Comedian Lewis Black

-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 07-29-2013, 11:02 AM

I talked to the Rekluse techs about the Rotella recommendation when they were in Phoenix last January at a KTM Ride Day.

They said that the Rotella recommendation was sort of a default position as they really didn't "test" anything else at the time. They have the intention to test other oils but it is very low on their to-do list.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:36 PM

Ok, I will post updates with the Rotella as I put more time on my autoclutch. Those guys at Rekluse seem to really know their stuff.

―Comedian Lewis Black

-Unknown Sardaukar