Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Other...

Old 01-23-2014, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

IMO, if you're going to upgrade, chase something with some of the closed cart forks. Be it Ohlins TTX in the Sachs legs, or the 48mm Shivers with the PFP. That basically limits you to a Nambo model, or 2011 Race, or newer.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
IMO, if you're going to upgrade, chase something with some of the closed cart forks. Be it Ohlins TTX in the Sachs legs, or the 48mm Shivers with the PFP. That basically limits you to a Nambo model, or 2011 Race, or newer.
Thats proberly what I would look in to doing

Thanks
Old 01-24-2014, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator

or anyone whos done a KYB/Showa TC setup.. I guess depending on $$ you could always go that route yourself and get a big upgrade in suspension for less than a new bike costs..
Old 01-24-2014, 02:36 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
or anyone whos done a KYB/Showa TC setup.. I guess depending on $$ you could always go that route yourself and get a big upgrade in suspension for less than a new bike costs..
Yep. What I did.
I had a 2006 EC200 and wanted something newer / better, but did not want to increase the engine size. A new bike is out of the question due to cost.

As secondhand EC200s are very few and far between here in Norway, I ended up with a 2006 EC200 (the same one!) with Scotts damper, Talon wheels, KYB forks and newer plastics. I guess the total upgrade cost can be compared to the prize difference between the 06 as it was and a secondhand '10 or '11 model if I had been able to find one.

The bike handles a lot better now mostly due to the (revalved) KYB forks, but I also feel that the newer subframe and plastics makes it easier to ride. I can't really compare my bike to the newer ones, as my experience with the newer models is close to zero.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 01-24-2014, 05:19 PM

Personally I think it would cost far to much tlo make aold bike good.
I dont race I just like something that can handle and keep up with mx bikes . My one can but I think the suspension cant
Old 01-24-2014, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

It really depends on how much you want to spend, and how much you value your time, and the state of the old bike. If it cost you say 2 - 3 thousand dollars to bling up the old bike, you could have a very well setup and personalised bike. Yes its a lot of money, and would likely take a lot of time and effort.

Alternatively, if you sell your old bike and add a few grand to it you might get something thats been setup already for someone else. You might need to spend some more again to then dial it in for you. It might work out the same price, but will be an easier process and you will end up with a newer bike/chasis overall.

Even if you were given a brand new bike for free, you'd still have money to spend. Ie my new 2013R after purchase has cost me rad guards, bar pad, grips, throttle cable, rear sprocket, my choice of tyres, a few jets, pipe guard and head mods. At a guess I'd say I'm already in about a thousand bucks before I even start to consider suspension setup - springs, valving, etc. Thats just to bring my new bike up to my old bikes standard. Sure makes the 'upgrade the old bike' option sound like good value.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:20 AM

thanks of the advice, I'm not in a rush at the mo so will have a good think about what i want to do.

the bike is in ok nick its just the rust monster is starting to come through on the frame and I'm not sure if its got a bent fork tube.
I've been reading up on how to set the suspension up so next time I'm out i will have a play and get the race sag sorted.
is there anyway of checking if the front fork springs need up rating, found some stuff on fork sag but a lot of people say there is no such thing.

thanks grant