Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:56 PM

Default New Bike Time

It's getting close to new bike time...and my family's shop recently picked up Gas Gas.

I'm currently on a 2008 KTM200XC and it's just about as dialed in as it can be - honestly I love my motorcycle. Engine wise it has been setup SX-style (for those of you not familiar with the legendary 03-04 KTM 200 SX it had the best 2-stroke 200cc engine of all time) and I have TTX fork inserts and a revalved WP shock.

My question is this: What bike to buy? GG 125 race? GG 200 race? I want a Race so I can move my fork inserts to the new bike. I really, really like small bore bikes but I'm a bit hesitant to go with the GG 200 since it is based on the 250. Can the 200 be set up to rev? Does it feel heavy? I see that Eric Gorr has a 144 kit for the 125 - any experience with this kit?

I'm just looking for opinions of owners of both bikes and possibly owners that have moved from a later model KTM 200 to a Gas Gas.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangezuk View Post
It's getting close to new bike time...and my family's shop recently picked up Gas Gas.

I'm currently on a 2008 KTM200XC and it's just about as dialed in as it can be - honestly I love my motorcycle. Engine wise it has been setup SX-style (for those of you not familiar with the legendary 03-04 KTM 200 SX it had the best 2-stroke 200cc engine of all time) and I have TTX fork inserts and a revalved WP shock.

My question is this: What bike to buy? GG 125 race? GG 200 race? I want a Race so I can move my fork inserts to the new bike. I really, really like small bore bikes but I'm a bit hesitant to go with the GG 200 since it is based on the 250. Can the 200 be set up to rev? Does it feel heavy? I see that Eric Gorr has a 144 kit for the 125 - any experience with this kit?

I'm just looking for opinions of owners of both bikes and possibly owners that have moved from a later model KTM 200 to a Gas Gas.
The GasGas 200 has a pretty rabid following, and while it's based on the 250, it does get it's own engine cases. You don't have the powervalve adjustability on the Gassers that you do on the KTM, but the chassis should smoke your pumpkin. The 125 might be an interesting bike, but check the CafeHusky forum before you go the EG route. The GoFasters guys may be able to divulge some inside info on GG's own 144/150 efforts

In any case, welcome to the family.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 01-02-2011, 06:40 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangezuk View Post

only the frame is 250, the motor looks like a 250 externally, but the cases are different.

the gg bore/stroke is 62.5x65
the ktm bore/stroke is 64x60

in my opinion here's the main differences between the ktm200 and the gg 200

1: the gasgas has a more sturdy feel since it's a 250 frame. it is a bit heavier than the ktm, but it doesn't feel like it in the woods. the ktm feels lighter when you push it around.
2: the transmission ratio is much better for woods on the gg
3: the gg engine is smoother
4: the gg turns better
5: the gg can be setup to have massive overrev. slightly retarding the timing helps. getting the squish right helps too.
6: i prefer the linkage suspension on the gg
7: the gg engine sounds way different than the ktm. don't know if that's good or bad...
8: the gg has a lower seat height
9: the gg motor is indestructible. the ktm 200 (in my experience) eats big end bearings. my gg has only had 1 ring change in 10 years. and it was still in spec
10: the ktm may have a little bit more torque off the bottom. don't know why - looking at bore and stroke, the gg should have more torque. might be flywheel weight difference...
11: the ktm may have a slight hp advantage.
12: the gg does not overheat/boil over ever.
13: the ktm has better rear brake lever and easier clutch pull
14: the ktm has better front brakes
15: the ktm has less expensive plastics.
16: the ktm chassis is easier to work on. the motors are about the same to work on.
17: just like the ktm, the gg 200 power delivery is very dependent on jetting....

i know absolutely nothing about the gg 125 - never ridden or even seen one...

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 01-02-2011, 07:00 PM

sounds like you got the ktm pretty well dialed. I'd say assuming you can switch out your ttx stuff give the gasser a try. If it isn't exactly what you want its gotta be pretty close. It won't be OMG this thing is so bad I can't ride it. You put the effort into the gasser that you did on that ktm you'll have a sweet ride!! my bud has a 08 200 xc w ... works good in the woods .....
Old 01-02-2011, 08:20 PM

Like I said, I love my bike. It is approaching the 400 hour mark and is starting to feel worn out. It has been super reliable (can't say the same about the rider) and has never left me stranded or made me DNF. I do rings every 25 hours and a piston and rings every 50 hours. The crank was rebuilt at 300 hours - the pin that held the rod in was starting to wear, the rod bearing was in spec. If I go the GG route it will be the Race version for the 48mm forks - meaning my TTX inserts can be fitted.

My biggest worry about switching over is losing what I have finally got dialed in. I do realize that there will be a period of tuning and such - even if I stay KTM (I would go the 150XC route). I love my bike so much because of what it is - lightweight, turns well, is very predictable in the rough stuff and makes enough power to have a ton of fun on without wearing me out over 80 miles.

Thanks for all the input!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:06 PM

You can actually get 48s on the early 2011 XCs (250 and 300), making a decent (and tunable) Sachs/Sachs combo, but the extras you get with a Race or especially the Six Days makes them very attractive. That is the only way to go if you're committed to a 200 as well.

You may end up waiting a while for the Race versions too - it may be March before they hit the shore.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 01-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Banned

Ryan,
I'm about to throw a monkey wrench into your plans. The 125 and 200 Race have 45mm Zokes, not the 48. We also don't know if the TTX cartridge kit will work in the new Zoke 48. I don't think Ohlins can tell us because they haven't gotten to see the new Zoke 48. I may be able to help you find a used set of 48mm Sachs to put them in IF they are interchangable from one brand fork to the other.
Sorry for the bad news.
Give me a call if you want to discuss options. 615 347 6519
I am driving to Massachusetts to pick up a couple of bikes, see a couple of dealers and attend a Gas Gas/KTM Trail Rider magazine shootout at Mike Lafferty's place next weekend.
I havea 125 6D at the warehouse now if you want to try it.
Clay