Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 12-10-2019, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawbagga View Post
I believe it was excessive clearance on threads making them not tighten correctly/loosen easily also.
That is the case. On the video I saw, you can see that the nut can be rocked when on the thread. I changed mine and although the original was tight, it was a lightweight job that seemed pretty flimsy.

Old 12-10-2019, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudolfHucker View Post
That is the case. On the video I saw, you can see that the nut can be rocked when on the thread. I changed mine and although the original was tight, it was a lightweight job that seemed pretty flimsy.
Did you measure or weigh them? Did you check the threads with a thread gauge? Do you have pictures of both together for comparison?
Old 12-10-2019, 04:29 AM

@Rodent: my dealer confirmed what you said. I called him today and said that when I looked through the oil sight glass I only saw a silver nut but no cuts on its edges.
He said dont worry, the nuts were not the problem, they just forgot the Loctite 648 on them and did not torque them properly.

He will sent me a written confirmation that he has checked/secured/torqued the nut and has filed a warranty claim to GasGas, he will also send me the worksheet and the warranty claim. So I guess I can relax...

If the nut is left hand thread how the hell can it get loose/off when the crank spins forward?
Old 12-10-2019, 06:07 AM

Finally found the still photo of my original crank nut. It is marked as loctited and it was solid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190219_135415.jpg (130.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 12-10-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Finally found the still photo of my original crank nut. It is marked as loctited and it was solid.
Thx for the photo. If it was tight and installed with Loctite I guess it was okay? Did you replace it?

edit: I saw you replaced it...
Old 12-10-2019, 09:07 AM

Yes, I replaced it as the UK importer said it needed to be done due to the OEM nut being lighter material and he supplied the replacement.

I have found the video I mentioned but I can't find a method of attaching it to a post and I don't have an online photo store.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Yes, I replaced it as the UK importer said it needed to be done due to the OEM nut being lighter material and he supplied the replacement.

I have found the video I mentioned but I can't find a method of attaching it to a post and I don't have an online photo store.
If you email me the video I could try to upload it to my YouTube channel.

However, I just ordered the new nut and the gasket for the engine cover. I don't trust the dealer so will replace it and then I can be 100% sure that it has been done properly.

Thanks again for the photo !

Doc
Old 12-10-2019, 11:31 AM

@RudolfHucker

I fear its required to remove the clutch basket otherwise it wont be possible to put a socket on the crank nut, right? If so how can I block the crank so it does not turn when I torque the crank nut?
Old 12-11-2019, 01:45 AM

You don't need to remove the clutch basket, I didn't.

I used a Motion Pro gear jamming tool, a 6 point socket and a 1m socket bar (very carefully!) but my mate used a soft penny coin just as successfully.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:28 AM

Thank you for the info. Good that I dont need to remove the clutch as I dont have the safety washer.
Like yer mate I will use a 5 (or2) Euro cent coin to block the gears.