Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Other...

Old 03-26-2018, 05:34 PM

Default Out with the old, in with the new

After much deliberating ive decided to buy myself a 2016 ktm exc 300 6days as it came up at dam good money

Despite my 2011 gas gas ec250 being much older and carrying many more hours on her i can honestly say i am more than surprised at how the gas gas motor doesnt seem to age inside or out, despite the ktm only being 2 years old theres signs of corrrosion on the engine, when you look at the gasser the old beast still looks fresh with no more than a few scores on her casings.

Ive decided to do a top end rebuild on the gas gas and have noticed that its the original piston i am taking out and it has done plus 200 hours. The conrod and big end are in very good condition (as tight as a drum) despite the abuse the bikes taken over the years

Heres hoping my new austrian lover wil be as robust and enjoyful to play with as the spanish maiden

Old 03-26-2018, 08:09 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silky9153 View Post
After much deliberating ive decided to buy myself a 2016 ktm exc 300 6days as it came up at dam good money

Despite my 2011 gas gas ec250 being much older and carrying many more hours on her i can honestly say i am more than surprised at how the gas gas motor doesnt seem to age inside or out, despite the ktm only being 2 years old theres signs of corrrosion on the engine, when you look at the gasser the old beast still looks fresh with no more than a few scores on her casings.

Ive decided to do a top end rebuild on the gas gas and have noticed that its the original piston i am taking out and it has done plus 200 hours. The conrod and big end are in very good condition (as tight as a drum) despite the abuse the bikes taken over the years

Heres hoping my new austrian lover wil be as robust and enjoyful to play with as the spanish maiden
I rode a KTM 300 for awhile. Great bikes, you'll get a lot of haters, of course, but there is something to be said about readily available parts, ..
Old 03-27-2018, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwoodlief View Post
I rode a KTM 300 for awhile. There is something to be said about readily available parts, ..
There is also something to be said about bikes that are so reliable that they hardly ever need parts. I can honestly say that I've never needed a part that I couldn't get from my local Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki dealers other than pistons and rings (I order these ahead of time and they are easy to find). In total I've owned 6 gassers over the last 17 years and all have served me well - just saying - I've nothing against the other brands - just never had a problem with parts for my gassers.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:56 PM

I had my first outing on then ktm at the weekend, its hard comparing the 2 with my old GG being a 250 and the ktm being a 300.
However what i can say is when i put the fmf gnarly on the GG she pulled like a 300 down low. Unbelievable engine control

The positives the GG has over the KTM are:
Clutch so light makes the ktm clutch feel like the old cable clutches you had years ago

Nissin brakes more responsive and stronger bite compared to the brembos

I just love the Gassers ride height, cant count how many times ive fallen off the ktm when coming to a stop, and im 5ft 10" so i aint overly verticaly challenged.

Despite my ktm being a 6days model the GG comes with more bling.

GGriderforum full of helpful people and information, ktm forum is nowhere near as helpfull

The positives off the EXC:

Electric start, couldnt live without it now

Parts are more readily available in my area as i have no local GG dealership network

Easier resale where i am.

To be honest i cant say either bike is better as i am no expert, what i can say is if my GG had an electric start to begin with, i wouldnt have purchased the ktm.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:40 AM

I went from an '06 GG to a '13 husaberg te, which as most know is more or less a ktm 300 exc. It was the opposite to what I expected. I really like the WP suspension, especially with the shock professionally lowered (shorter shaft) and the forks dropped in the clamps. However I found the TE300 engine disappointing, it seems low on power. Had two motorcycle engineers that must have nearly 100 years mainly dirt bike experience between them go through it and just couldn't find anything wrong. Couldn't get a 38mm lectron to work properly at all, although it was a bit better with a 38mm PWK (36 standard). The power just seems really soft, even with the 'scary' pv spring wound right out. Even got outdragged by an old crf 250 4 stroker out of a muddy corner on some sticky going the other week. It's not the end of the world as I'm not a competitive rider, but even my EC200 seemed more lively, don't know if they are all like that. My '06 EC300 was much more powerful despite being able to do a much better job of jetting now than I could when I had the EC. Will be going to a 2018+ EC300 when I can bring myself to spend the money.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravan Monster View Post
I went from an '06 GG to a '13 husaberg te, which as most know is more or less a ktm 300 exc. It was the opposite to what I expected. I really like the WP suspension, especially with the shock professionally lowered (shorter shaft) and the forks dropped in the clamps. However I found the TE300 engine disappointing, it seems low on power. Had two motorcycle engineers that must have nearly 100 years mainly dirt bike experience between them go through it and just couldn't find anything wrong. Couldn't get a 38mm lectron to work properly at all, although it was a bit better with a 38mm PWK (36 standard). The power just seems really soft, even with the 'scary' pv spring wound right out. Even got outdragged by an old crf 250 4 stroker out of a muddy corner on some sticky going the other week. It's not the end of the world as I'm not a competitive rider, but even my EC200 seemed more lively, don't know if they are all like that. My '06 EC300 was much more powerful despite being able to do a much better job of jetting now than I could when I had the EC. Will be going to a 2018+ EC300 when I can bring myself to spend the money.

Get a SX head and CDI for your KHuskybergM. The difference is indescribable. I had a 13 TE250 and even though it was generally a flaming pile of shit from top to bottom, the SX head and CDI made the power good. Just the rest of the bike sucked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk