Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 09-23-2006, 08:29 PM

Default Break Down

Had a crappy day riding yesterday.

About 30 miles into a 70 mile loop my bike decided it was done. It started making an awfull/expensive growl and quit moving forward and I promptly shut it off. Bike would not stay in gear or neutral. The only hint it gave was a couple of false neutrals right before it went and it fouled the case oil(Rotella) quicker than normal. My brother and I took the side cover off in hpoes of an obvious trailside fix but none was to be found. We then spent the next 2 hours pushing, pulling and cursing the bike up a steep seitchbacked trail to a point where we could tow it out 4-5 miles of trail to a gravel road then 20 miles back to the truck.

To add insult to injury on the way way home I hit a large pothole in the middle of a sharp corner and looked back in horror to watch my broken yet pretty SE flying off the trailer! Damage was minimal only a little road rash to the handguard, pipe and footpeg. I have always made fun of idiots who let their bikes fall off a truck or trailer, now I am one of them.

I will be doing a teardown Sunday night and ordering parts asap. Anyone know of a GASGAS dealer open on Monday?

Paul B

Old 09-24-2006, 10:27 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I can tell you are from the Northwest U.S. from your IP address (it's logged when you post). I know Gran Prix Cycle here in oregon is closed monday. The other dealers close to you would be...

- Condotta's in Wenatchee
- Skagit Power sports
- Cliff's Cycle Center in Bremerton

jeff
Old 09-25-2006, 11:51 AM

Have you torn it down yet? What are you looking at?

jeff
Old 09-26-2006, 07:23 PM

Finished the tear down last night and it wasn't pretty.

There was a little gear soup around the drain plugin the case. 3/4 primmary had a full tooth missing, 4 secondary has two whole dogs missing and 2nd and 3rd secondary are scuffed/worn/chipped.

It also appears that the clutch basket and hub are in need of replacement. I have a feeling the clutch wasn't the same after an EFM clutch was unistalled by a previous owner.

It is going to be a hefty parts bill.

On a positive note the crank apears good as does the top end.

Paul B
Old 09-27-2006, 06:51 AM

Some people believe(including Youngworth) that the EFM and Revloc with unlimited lockup can cause transmission failures. The Rekluse on the other hand can only transmit so much torque before slipping(similar to the manual clutch with spring pressure only), smart. GG clutch baskets are especially tough, should not need replacement in normal use, so I would suspect the EFM played a role in this failure.

Don't forget to check the shaft runouts. If the trans locked up under power from debris in the gears, chances are they are bent. May be best to find a sound parts bike or motor. 250/300 trans is the same, '02 was upgraded to all needle bearings. Hit all the big dealers listed on this site, maybe you will get lucky. Now is not a good time to need parts not in stock. Bearings/seals are all standard and available at a good bearing house, so don't worry about those.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:49 PM

FYI - I have a complete gasket set in the garage - PM me if you would like me to send it your way.

jeff
Old 09-28-2006, 05:40 AM

Are the shock dampers in the clutch installed correctly and intact?
Old 09-28-2006, 10:48 PM

Im not sure what the dampeners are, could you elaborate? I have ordered a new clutch basket, hub, plates, fibers, tranny, gaskets, seals and bearings. It wil be like a nearly new bike excluding the scrathes from my trailer mishap.

Paul B
Old 09-28-2006, 10:49 PM

Im not sure what the dampeners are, could you elaborate? I have ordered a new clutch basket, hub, plates, fibers, tranny, gaskets, seals and bearings. It wil be like a nearly new bike excluding the scars from my trailer mishap.

Paul B
Old 09-29-2006, 05:58 AM

In the '03 parts manual: # ME120132008 "Silentblock, Rubber"

They are shock dampers that get mounted between the gear and clutch basket. They absorb shock forces that are damaging to the tranmission. Most bikes have these in one form or another. My point was that if the stock basket was reinstalled on the primary gear, this would be worth looking into as a failure. Also, perhaps someone else can answer this, does the EFM clutch basket use the rubber dampers? If not, that may be your answer.

If you ordered the entire basket/gear assembly, they are included.