Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Community Forums > Mid-West Forum

Old 08-01-2010, 08:28 PM

Exclamation Exotic Bike Trail Ride

Gentlemen, start your VORs, Vertematis, GasGas', Bultacos and Puchs ... it's almost time for the Michigan Exotic Bike Trail Ride. I've heard some great things about the interior trails at Leota, and of course there's the Long Lake Trail in Cadillac.

Talk to your buddies and see if they won't play hooky from work sometime between now and Labor Day and come out for a fun ride. You may even learn something - I'm trying to get one of Michigan's premier off-road riders to join us for part of the day to offer riding tips.

I'm open to suggestions for venues and dates, so send them as a reply in this thread.

Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters

Old 08-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default MI ride

Hey Steve, So what is involved for the out of state folks, that want to ride these particular trails you're talking about? Are they required to have some sort of permit, (like one from the CCC) and what about the bikes...tags, lights, etc?
Old 08-04-2010, 11:15 PM

All you need is a Michigan ORV sticker and a spark arrestor. You can get the former at most every bike shop in the state and some gas stations and Meijers' as well.

We've got several great trails up here, so if you're planning on coming check out http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...8330--,00.html and then decide how long you can take off work and where you'll end up camping

I'm trying to schedule the EBTR so that it doesn't get too close to a D14 hare scrambles or enduro, but those are usually good fun as well.
Steven Beane #275

afterhourscycle.com
Old 08-09-2010, 11:02 AM

Exclamation Friday August 27th - Cadillac Long Lake Trail

Guys and ladies, the date has been set for what could be the first of many "exotic bike" trail rides. Tell your GasGas/Husky/VOR/Vertemati/Can-am riding buddies this is the ride for them We may even see a few of the rare KTMs in attendance.

We're targeting a 10:30 start at the trail head of the Long Lake Trail just north of Cadillac. Terrain is varied, with roots, loam, and of course, sand. The elevation changes are interesting without threatening your life. The trail http://www.midnr.com/publications/pd...ycle_Trail.pdfis ~26 miles long, but you're never more than a couple miles from the truck. Standard MX tanks are fine unless you plan on a couple loops. Bark busters are nice but not required unless you're particularly clumsy.

Out of state riders will need to pick up a Michigan ORV sticker ($16.25 at last count) at the Meijer's down the road from the trail or almost any bike shop, and make sure the bikes are fitted with spark arrestors. There's camping on-site or hotels near-by.

Come on out, the riding should be great. The company is guaranteed to be fabulous
Steven Beane #275

afterhourscycle.com
Old 08-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I am planning on attending the Shane Watts Dirt wise school on the 28/29 weekend in Michigan City, IN. How far is the proposed ride from Michigan City?

I am planning on leaving MN on that thursday. I could bomb it to the ride. That would have me riding in both TX and MI as well as MN this year.

Thanks.

blitz
Old 08-09-2010, 07:45 PM

Blitz: I won't claim to be a travel planner, but depending where you are in Minnesota you can either blast over through Wisconsin and the UP and then drop down to Cadillac, or take the Badger (ferry) over to Ludington. Cadillac is about 3:45 from Michigan City, IN.

I did the Dirt Wise school a couple years ago and learned alot - you should have a good time.
Steven Beane #275

afterhourscycle.com
Old 08-20-2010, 10:22 AM

Is this still on? As of today, i am planning on meeting you guys. I'm planning on camping. Is there a campground nearby? or a crappy hotel?

Thanks.

blitz
Old 08-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz11 View Post
or a crappy hotel?

Thanks.

blitz
Yeah, the ones where the employees don't get murdered?
Old 08-20-2010, 06:48 PM

Girard,

You're killing me (pun intended)!

That really did surprise us. I liked that hotel. It was $100/night, nice rooms with a kitchen, and nice staff. it didn't SEEM that crappy.

We did a demo in DC in 2003, and we stayed at the "Wolftrap." it was $40 per night, there were cigarette burns on the sheets and bedspread, bottler openers screwed the the bathroom vanity, and people would get into fights in the parking lot at night. Lots of character.

I like crappy hotels 'cause you forget the nice ones. The $18 per night hotel on my honeymoon was a winner, too. Never try to get a hotel in Nebraska in Sept. during "Farm Fest."
Old 08-20-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz11 View Post
Is this still on? As of today, i am planning on meeting you guys. I'm planning on camping. Is there a campground nearby? or a crappy hotel?

Thanks.

blitz
I'm not sure about the crappy motels, but there's a campground right on site. Check out the DNR site for more details. That and town's only a couple miles away if you're scared of bears
Call me at 313-332-4091 if you need directions etc
Steven Beane #275

afterhourscycle.com