Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:03 PM

Default Must do for gasgas

I'm not sure if anyone else shares the same opinion as me but my biggest hassle with current 2012 300r is air filter maintenance. Routine maintenance should be simple but mine is not. I'm sick of tearing filters n swearing when removing my filter n unless a Gasgas make a newly designed sub frame to allow easy access like beta and ktm then unfortunately I won't by another Gasgas.
Unfortunately it's such a pain in the ass that I avoid it sometimes.
Is anyone else of the same opinion or are the aluminium subframe a better? I'm only brining this up as it looks like the photos of the 2017 have the same frame..

Josh (Australia)

Old 03-31-2016, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't seen the 12 plastic subframe, so can't comment on that.. but I have had zero issues with the 13 aluminium one. Haven't torn a single filter other than by wearing them out. Where exactly are you damaging them?

There are 2 little threads that come down which I could see as potentials for causing issues if you jagged up on them. I think you'd have to try to do it though.

On my 2010 model I had issues with the seat base rubbing the top of the filter against the frame and causing issues.

On all models there is potential for both the airboot/sealing surface and the filter cage to have some sharp edges. As part of pre delivery I went through and made sure everything was smooth.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:17 PM

Hi Jakobi, it's mainly when I'm taking the filter out of the air box and then putting it back in. I have zero clearance on either side so the filter rubs on both edges of the box. It als rubs on the lugs that the lid for the box bolts to.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

I get you. It is a pain in the ass narrow box. I drop it in sideways, and then turn it to bring it onto the seat. Means that one outside face of the filter does slide along the airbox a bit and inner side runs clear. As above, no issues other than what I'd consider general wear and tear.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:50 AM

I have a 2012 and do what Jakobi does and have not damaged a filter yet.
Maybe try that?
Old 04-01-2016, 02:18 AM

Yep, I'll definitely give it a go tomorrow.FDB do you have the plastic subframe??
Old 04-01-2016, 02:51 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

I turn mine sideways when installing and have not had a problem either.
Mark
2008 280 Raga replica
2012 Gas gas ec 300 E
Old 04-04-2016, 03:34 AM

Ok,
I finally got a chance to go try what people are suggesting for easy air filter changes. There is no way I can go close to turning this filter sideways and slipping it out. Is my setup different to everyone else's. Jakobi, does the aluminium subframe give you more room than the attached photos?? My filter rubs on the back of the air box, even when I turn it sideways.

Thanks

Josh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (122.0 KB, 73 views)
Old 04-04-2016, 03:36 AM

More photos, I can't work out to post multiple in 1 post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (92.2 KB, 59 views)
Old 04-04-2016, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator

It looks as if your fuel tank possible comes back further than mine, but pics can be deceiving. In your second picture, you are rotating the opposite direction. Standing where you are, I would feed the filter in with the cage facing me, the mount away, and then rotate it. It does contact the airbox, but isn't excessive and definitely hasn't torn.

This is an old pic of me airbox when new. When I get some time I can take a comparison pic for you.