Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:20 PM

For the ISDE, use mousses. Practice your technique and you'll get it down. With some practice, it only takes a little over 4 minutes to do a mousse.

FIM tires are garbage so it's pretty easy to start tearing knobs. Plus, if you put a hole in the tire, the tubliss system is done. I use tireballs for my regular riding, but for the ISDE you definitely want to use mousses. I had to learn how to do mousses at the ISDE (while under the time constraint - no practice) and was doing them in about 7 minutes, sometimes a little less, so with practice ahead of time you'll be fine.

Remember, you have 15 minutes at the end of the day, plus 10 minutes in the morning. I did tires and oil at the end of the day, air filter in the morning.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

During qualifiers, I have only been able to do one tire in the 15 minute afternoon work period, then a filter in the morning. Of course, these are two day events, so it's not been a big deal, but I sure don't want to go six days on a front tire. I have also been using tubes, not mousses. I have recently really improved my tire changing technique with some nice tools though. I've been tempted to go with mousses, and just get four, so I can have them lubed up and installed in tires the night before.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 12-24-2008, 11:46 AM

At the ISDE you pretty much need 4 mousses unless you are just there to finish. If you don't want to drop time, you need to have 2 sets of mousses so they're pre-installed in the new tires.

Use new mousses and you don't need a rimlock, so changing tires is really, really easy. There's some videos around youtube and stuff showing tire changes, or get someone to show you at the races. Mousses are intimidating when you start out, but once you learn the technique (and get some big tire irons) you'll see how easy they are to change.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I knew a guy that used to put his wheel on a lathe and remove 2-3 mm of material, just on one side of course. He could actually mount the tire with out tools and I never saw him lose a tire in any way. He said this was a trick the isde teams used. Anybody know anything about this?
Old 12-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

OK, I'm confused.
What's the point of using the Tubliss if you have to run Slime?