Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Off Road Racer's Corner

Off Road Racer's Corner ISDE, Enduro, Hare Scrambles, etc.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:15 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
Poskitt sounded like hell on his stream this morning! I rode with him and Basel on some training routes after he did Sonora in 2016ish. I raced Baja Rally the year after he did and ended up 7th OA and 3rd in class (expert). Angelo (Petr Vlcek) probably would have knocked me to 8th if he didn't have to withdraw.

He, Carlos Gracida (2014/2017 Dakar) and I were all pretty evenly matched and rode together a lot but it was very apparent they both had more experience and rode smarter. I was on a faster bike in the rough stuff and better technical rider but they both pulled some smooth ones one me that showed they knew the game well.

Let the games begin, this is going to be a good one!

Wow. You must be quite the rider. Still racing these days?

Old 01-06-2018, 01:51 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN Rick View Post
Wow. You must be quite the rider. Still racing these days?
Rally is so expensive I only do a legit one every couple years. Mostly doing a lot of hard enduro, NHHA and regional enduro/HS stuff.

Looks like times are starting to come in for SS1
Old 01-06-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Rally is so expensive I only do a legit one every couple years. Mostly doing a lot of hard enduro, NHHA and regional enduro/HS stuff.

Looks like times are starting to come in for SS1

That was exciting!! Sunderland storming out of the gate with VanBeveren hot on his heels!!

Nothing really surprising for me in the top 10 for stage one other than Toby Price coming in 14th. I expected better.

So incredible to see Jonathan Barragan and Cristain Espana taking 18th and 20th respectively. I know its only one day of racing but WOW!! 2 GasGas riders in the top 20!!

Doesn't look like Barreda's hand is hurting him too much either..

Last edited by CDN Rick; 01-18-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:42 PM

Yup great first day for the underdogs! Brabec, short, and samuels all did well given their experience levels as well!

My guess is Sunderland is bummed to have the stage win and price is right where he wants to be. Four days of dunes ahead will let him make up a ton of time out of the dust but following tracks. Sunderland is a great sand rider but opening the stage is always tough.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Yup great first day for the underdogs! Brabec, short, and samuels all did well given their experience levels as well!

My guess is Sunderland is bummed to have the stage win and price is right where he wants to be. Four days of dunes ahead will let him make up a ton of time out of the dust but following tracks. Sunderland is a great sand rider but opening the stage is always tough.

Thoughts on today?

Exciting to see Barragan slide up to 11th in the stage standings with a really strong special today. I only hope he can keep it up as the race goes long.

Jonny Aubert up to 17th in the stage.

As you predicted Price is up a number of places.

And Barreda takes the stage win. Gotta wonder if that was in his strategy.

Can you explain why they aren't showing all of his or Brabec's waypoint times??
Old 01-08-2018, 09:37 AM

Brabec was fourth on the stage (3) moving up to 5th OA. Van Beveren and Barreda paid a big price for bad days, sliding down the rankings to 7th and 15th respectively (as of 10:37est)
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 01-08-2018, 09:37 AM

Yeah the tracking is notoriously bad, I've been following since about 2009ish and it's always been a running joke on ADV. I'm sure Ricky's info will get updated eventually.

Bummed Sanz lost 20 minutes so early, she always seems to suffer the same fate. Perhaps a consequence of her riding style?

Now Stage 3! Barreda has already made a huge mistake, Sam is gaining time, Toby is getting back to form but Walkner isn't attacking like I thought he would. Perhaps he is content to take a back seat to Sam/Toby?

I'm super bummed for Adrian Metge to have to abandon the stage. 23rd for Pedrero on the Sherco is pretty respectable so farbut I'd be surprised if he cracks the top 15.

I think Bill Conger might have been forced to act out water carrier duties for a team mate with a broken wheel and had a long day yesterday but I'm stoked he made it in.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:04 AM

Certainly a lot of changes with stage 3. Barreda will have to run a perfect race from now on to finish well. Very disappointing as I was sorta rooting for him.

Vanbeveren's slide will be hard to recover from as well. But there is so much racing left and I hope he'll pull back up. Must be the Yamaha blood left in me but I'm rootin for him!

Sunderland's win must be putting a lot of confidence in his step today.

Price's strategy seems to be to run with the leaders but not be the leader.

A lot of guys seem to think the ASO is purposely bad with the tracking info just to confuse teams so they cannot radio information to their teams to sandbag or pick up the pace.
Its possible but I kinda doubt it. I've done timekeeping for races. Even with electronic timing its a total shitshow until the race officials have time to properly sort it all out. Nature of the beast.

Lots of changes today!! Looking forward to tomorrow!
Old 01-08-2018, 10:22 AM

Yeah race timing is always a cluster, at Baja Rally we never even knew our stage finish positions until like 24 hours later which made strategy impossible.

Most conspiracy theories can be chalked up to technology, incompetence, or confusion would be my guess.

Stoked on Brabec moving into the top 5. It's going to a be a long shot for the Yamaha boys after today.

Kevin B is making a great showing for Honda, I've always preferred him over Barreda.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Yeah race timing is always a cluster, at Baja Rally we never even knew our stage finish positions until like 24 hours later which made strategy impossible.

Most conspiracy theories can be chalked up to technology, incompetence, or confusion would be my guess.

Stoked on Brabec moving into the top 5. It's going to a be a long shot for the Yamaha boys after today.

Kevin B is making a great showing for Honda, I've always preferred him over Barreda.
Barreda is a great rider. No question about that. I guess the nature of Dakar is that one small mistake can have massive consequences.
But he strikes me as someone who's maturity disappears when something goes wrong.

I was also exited to see Brabec climbing again. I still think he may have what it takes to surprise everyone.