Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:57 PM

Default Decisions, decisions

Hey guys,
Well, I'm going to try again at the 08 Six Days in Greece for a Silver medal. While doing some research, I found out the Red Bull Romaniacs is a week after the ISDE (ISDE is Sept. 1-6, Romaniacs is Sept 13-17). I'm tempted to try both of them.

Any ideas on getting major sponsors for this? There's no way I can afford both (Greece is going to be tight on cash by itself).

Old 01-25-2008, 12:52 AM

Why are you going to try for a silver? Seems like you're half beaten already.

No really, if you're going for the sort of committment you need for the ISDE you should aim for gold but be happy with a finish.

Oh yeah, move to Baja. Lotsa rocks in Greece.

There's a guy here who's done the Romaniacs. Actually he finished 3rd! I know some other South African guys who finished right up there too.

M2CW

'06 Raga Rep

(hopefully '08 EC200 & '10 TXT Pro 250 soon)
Old 01-25-2008, 01:05 AM

I went to Chile, and realistically I know that silver is where my speed is at. I know I can do it, so that's the goal. Gold is out of reach at my current speed, but a strong silver is doable. I won't be happy until I get a silver, because I know that my speed is there to get one.

Judging by the videos I've seen, Greece looks fairly similar to the riding around here, so I should be well prepared.

Romaniacs looks like a lot of fun, but if I do it I want to be on an Expert team, so I need a buddy, plus some money. I'm going to see if I can 1) find a teammate and 2) get the funds together to do both races.

Should be a challenge, but what's life without a few challenges?
Old 01-25-2008, 01:24 AM

It'd be great to see a great bloke like you on gasser up there on the podium. We could organise another fundraiser as well. There's been a few more members sign up since the last one so we could try stickers again, maybe some t-shirts made up with GasGasRider.org at the top with 2008 International Six Day Enduro on the back of the shirt. That'd be cool i reckon. Maybe have that overlayed over a big GG logo.

Maybe we should kick around some more ideas for another fundraiser?

'03 GasGas EC200 My bike
'89 Yamaha TT250 R.I.P - Lost in the Black Saturday Fires
Old 01-25-2008, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyManiac View Post
I went to Chile, and realistically I know that silver is where my speed is at. I know I can do it, so that's the goal. Gold is out of reach at my current speed, but a strong silver is doable. I won't be happy until I get a silver, because I know that my speed is there to get one.
Fair enough. It's good that you know your abilities. It also gives a good grounding to aim higher in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyManiac View Post
Should be a challenge, but what's life without a few challenges?
Precisely. A while ago I set my sights on learning all the lastest whizz bang techniques used in trials these days. After taking 15 years out of trials riding enduros I came back to trials to find that the sport had changed dramatically. It's hard work at 45 because the body doesn't learn as quickly as it does at, say 20, but I'm getting there. An hour every two days after work is what I'm doing presently. Now if I can only remember to always keep my back straight when hopping the front wheel.

Now all I need is the topic and I can finally get that bloody PhD I was denied 10 years ago...

'06 Raga Rep

Old 01-25-2008, 02:04 AM

Oh yeah, lotsa DRY rocks in Greece. I don't suppose you get them in BC?

'06 Raga Rep

Old 01-25-2008, 09:26 AM

Where I am it's only wet in the spring. Turns into a dust bowl in mid-June unless we have an especially wet spring/summer.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:55 AM
Banned

So does that mean that you are going to do all of the Okanagan and some of the P.N.M.A. races as a precursor to the six days? I know major sponsers like exposure.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:23 AM

I don't know if I'm going to do the ODR series this year. I will be doing the PN Interior series (plus a couple coastal rounds), Desert 100, Spokane harescrambles, maybe the Idaho City 100 and some Alberta races.

For training, it's better to just go riding since our races are nothing like the Six Days. The trails around here are tough, so doing a 7-8 hour ride around here is very good training. It's different racing all day, because normally I chill for the first hour, then wick it up later in the race. The ISDE you ride hard for 10 minutes, cruise for an hour or two, repeat. All day. For six days.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Banned

Wink

I allways believed that the best practice for racing is racing itself. As for those killer rides unless your actually training, your not going to derive alot of benifit especially if your with a bunch of guys stopping all the time, sure your endurance is improved and your dicing but thats just the physical part of it. The mental part is the most important, thats where racing comes in. One thing I learned about riding super tight tech stuff all the time is that you get really good and fast at going slow! I'm not trying to slag you here but I do call just a little b.s.