Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:05 PM

Default wanted info from 07-09 owners to make 2007-2009 subframe fit 2001-2006

hi everyone, i have looked at lots of comments about the newer rear end on the older bike, and as i would also like to convert mine cheaply, i have now got to the point that i am thinking of chopping up my subframe. so as there is lots out there who want to update their rear end too, i was thinking, and am now asking, if we could all post info on this thread about doing this ourselves then maybe the nice owners of the 07-09 models out there will send in some much needed info and pics. really all we need is dimensions for the subframe, then go on to match it up with other bikes, i would do all the asking around my self and i have most of the other parts ready to swap over as we progres and so can post detailed pics for us all to do the conversion ourselves. i have taken my plastics of the bike and tried the new rear mudguard upto the 01 bike, and to be honest looks miles away, i was going to chop and weld etc, but looks too much of a change to do it, so i am looking at getting a subframe from another bike and chopping that, as lots of people are saying the kx fits, i dont know yet. so please, any 07 -09 owners, take off your plastics, or maybe their off already, 1-measure the length of top rails from main frame centre point fitting-to the ends, 2-measure the length from the main frame centre point to the centre point of the down tubes where they weld on, 3- measure the length of the down tubes from wher it welds on to top rail to centre fitting point on the bottom frame mounts, 4-measure the the width of the top and bottom rails at the mounting points,5- and then the width at the top rail where the bottom rails weld to it, and 6-the top rail width also, at the rear end. it would sound simpler if it was illustrated, but its only 4 measurements really, the other 2 is just make sure you make the subframe accurately the same size as an origional one. alluminium tubing can be bought if needed easily. other wise its just a matter of adjustment and maybe moving mount points etc.
i hope we can get enough info to help each other out and get what were all asking for. please everyone help out.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:24 PM

i have an 04 and a 09. the subframe on the 09 is compleatly different, no way would i try to modify a 04 to fit 09 stuff. But the mounting points on the main frame seem to be the same...
there are conversion kits available.

basically the conversion is:
new subframe,
new/different air box, ( i belive the rubber boot for the carby is modifyable to the newer style air box)
different plastics.
im pretty sure you need to get a newer seat as well.

ALSO, older kx subframes do fit, with some minor modifications, but its the same shape as the older GG subframes, and nothing like the newer ones...
Old 05-14-2012, 09:18 PM

If you need to experiment, butcher a 94-98 KX subframe. I've borrowed varies rearend parts off my 95 KX to keep 2 '01 Gassers going. Fenders, side panels, and the rear wheel(19") is still on the EC250.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:50 PM

come on guys read correctly, i have most the 07 stuff, and everyone knows the same old things about 07parts fitting the 01 and what other years etc, thats what we are trying to do here with this post.
its simply to find a subframe as close as poss to the 07 so it can be slightly modified made to fit the 01 to 06 on a budget, the kits are not always available and expensive, this is the alternative, for people who can do things, its possible to do it without spending mega bucks. simple measurements wil be a big help.
i have now found a company that makes the subframes, but once again its cost., thanks, keep it going
Old 05-15-2012, 02:39 PM

I understand, you basically want to fab a copy of an '07 subframe that will utilize all the plastic and airbox. I'll see what I can do tonight about the measurements. It would be nice to borrow one for awhile if that were possible.

FWIW, the GG subframe is made by the same vendor that makes the Husky subframes.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
come on guys read correctly, i have most the 07 stuff, and everyone knows the same old things about 07parts fitting the 01 and what other years etc, thats what we are trying to do here with this post.
its simply to find a subframe as close as poss to the 07 so it can be slightly modified made to fit the 01 to 06 on a budget, the kits are not always available and expensive, this is the alternative, for people who can do things, its possible to do it without spending mega bucks. simple measurements wil be a big help.
i have now found a company that makes the subframes, but once again its cost., thanks, keep it going
i dont understand? you have most of the stuff, but no subframe? is that what your saying?
a copy of a 07 subframe could be made if your an aluminium welder, but you would really want one to copy.
01/04 subframes are compleatly different.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:54 PM

Apparently hotrod is a fabricator who can do this and save a few bucks over buying a subframe.

hotrod,

I'll be honest, by the time I finished servicing my bike tonight I did not feel like pulling the entire tail section to get measurements. My bike has an under fender light/plate mount with grab handles that also completely covers the subframe ends, so it has to come off for a measurement. Taking a close look at this though, there are some subtle bends in the tubing, plus the seat mount bridge, that are best documented with the frame in hand. This seems critical to the fit of the plastic and airbox.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:02 AM

bit of a crying shame when this is a gasgas owners site and theres not really anyone willing to help the many people that have posted asking the same questions about doing this project. they dont mind taking info for them selves though.
its a simple task, ya dont have to take everything off to measure up like, i am sure i would be able to get basic measurements without stripping everything off, but thanks anyway gmp,
lonetree yes i need to copy we know the subframes are totally different, thats why we need to get some drawings or pics and measurements posted, its not just me, there is quite a lot of people that want to do it, unlike some money is not readily available in large amounts to buy the kits, so this is a cost cutting way to get our bike looking better. thanks
Old 05-20-2012, 05:43 PM

Here is a pic of the 2007 to 2011 sub frame
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 571cd35f.jpg (17.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 05-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah no need to have a whinge with a thread thats only been running a week and your grand total of 6 posts. Its not the right way to go about getting people to help.

I'd imagine to get you the measurements you want to fabricate a subframe you would want some accuracy which would include stripping the bike down. If you want some numbers that are roughly in the range I can go and run a tape measure where I think they go and post them up. Have you looked into the price of the complete change over kit? Its really quite cheap when you consider everything you get to do the job for only a few hundred dollars.

You also have options of seeing if you can find someone with a subframe for sale, or someone parting a bike out. Or you may be able to just buy one at the right price. If you asked nicely you may be able to get someone at GoFasters to measure one up if they have one in stock (to see if it will fit). Just because you have the skills to build your own doesn't mean it will always be the cheapest or easiest approach. You'd then have a stock subframe to measure up and clone if required. You could even produce your own to assist the other people who want to update their bikes.

All just thoughts, and hope no offense is taken.

Tags
2001 to 2007 rear end