Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:59 PM

Default Jetting

I have a 2012 XCR 300 with 2 rides on it. Its been re jetted but seems to be running rich (bogs at low RPM and drools oil out of the exhaust all the way down and drips onto the swingarm). I live at 5000 feet and ride between 7000 and 12000 feet. I'm mixing 50 to 1 full synthetic oil. I don't know what jets were put in it or where the need position is. Anyone ride up here in the thin air? suggestions would be helpful. THX!

Old 09-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

You'll have to find out what you have in there(jets,needle,clip pos)
Pull the carb to do this,also to set float level.
Then the jetting gurus on here can advise and send you in the right direction.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Yep! Pull the carb. Find out what model carb it is. PWK AS1/AS2. Screw cap? or a flat metal cap? How deep is the fuel bowl? If its a flat metal cap does it have a number printed in the top? 36 or 38?? Then pull the slide out and check if it has a notch on the bottom edge. Look under there and see what number is stamped next to the little star. Then 6mm socket and remove the needle. Have a look whats stamped on that and what position the clip is in. Depending on the carb you may be able to get the main and pilot out without taking the bowl off. I would do that to check the float level anyway.

The 2T jetting section has a sticky at the top for the float setting.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:31 PM

Default jetting

i settled on a JD red needle, in clip pos 2, 165 main, 40 pilot, no spooge, i ride 5 to 8k. these are summertime settings, when the temps drop ill richen it up a bit.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:30 PM

When i get some time this week i'll investigate the carb more and give more detail about it. Really quick tho do you guys oil drip out of the exhaust? I've heard some peoples gasser do that even tho they feel the jetting is spot on. The last 2 rides oil has run out of the tail pipe, run down the length of the silencer and dripped all over the swing arm, shock and linkage. It kills me cuz it's such a beautiful bike i hate to see oil all over it's back side. Plus it make cleaning the bike that much more difficult.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mine spooged like crazy and was really poor on fuel. It would load up in single track and take a bit to clear out. Moving the stock needle down a clip pos helped but put me on the top (leanest positon). The bike was still rich off the bottom but the mid felt ok. Bike didn't idle well either and the idle screw was wound right in to the stops.

Jetted crisp now. Perfect plug colour. Oily ring around the extaust tip. Still get some oil at the join between the silencer and pipe but doesn't drip.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:39 PM

ok good info jak. Mine is the same way oil drip, bogs off bottom., loads up in the tight stuff and wont idle at all. I played with the idle screw first i turned it all the way in then all the way out and it didn't seem to change it at all! I called Motoadventure and Bruce said he would take a look and re jet it. I'll let you guys know what i find out.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

My ride is jetted similar to Bryan's above but a whole lot fatter main.Oem settings it spooged like yours and ran like crap.Now it has great milage and a light black ring around it's date.Runs like an electric motor until it gets on the pipe,then watch out for the trees.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

brad, probably best to take the time to learn how to do it yourself instead of palming it off to the shop. Its an invaluable skill to have and something that you don't really understand until you do it, but once you do you'll realise its not that complicated. I don't know the shop so can't comment on what they will do for you, but odds are they will continue to work with the stock needle and possibly just lift the clip 1 pos. If you give us the info requested above re whats in it and the particular carb model (post pics if thats easier). We'll be able to give you some recommendations for needles. For less than $50 you should be able to have enough brass and a few needles to have it running like a champ. I use a $10 yamaha needle in mine which I feel works better than the JD Red (which I have also tried). Very smooth off the bottom and an absolute machine when on the pipe!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky2CsihX5_g
Old 09-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Here is a perfect example of what they run like stock - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPMTIvIrfTQ - No idea who's video it is and its been sped up but you can hear it continually 4 stroking and not taking revs cleanly.