Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 10-09-2011, 04:09 PM

Default Front fork question.

I have a 2011 with Sachs forks. I am installing ttx inserts. Wile mounting the brake caliper on I noticed if I grab the bottom of the fork there is some play. Both forks. Is this normal and I just never noticed it before? I cant imagine the inserts have anything to do with the tubes.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Bottom of the fork?? You mean where the axel blocks etc connect to the tubes, or is the play between the inner and outer tubes?
Old 10-09-2011, 08:16 PM

It's where the tube's come together.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:50 PM

There is noticeable freeplay in the bottom of Sachs forks ... but they have very little stiction and the seals don't leak. You can shim the bushings if it makes you feel better, but it's probably not 100% necessary unless you're getting extensive wear in the upper tube or your seals won't hold oil.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 10-10-2011, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

Pretty sure I once read about someone with the same problem and that a little bit of play is acceptable.

Quick google shows up KYB forks have a little play. Just did a quick check on my bike for you. 2010 with the 48mm sachs. Grabbing the bottom of the outer tubes and pulling/pushing while the bike is on the stand = no play. Grabbing bottom of forks where they joint the front wheel theres a very minor play. Pretty sure mine have always been like this
Old 10-10-2011, 07:36 AM

There is no wear on the lower tubes. It was more noticeable before I mounted the wheel (each leg had the same play) Once the wheel was mounted I guess the weight of the wheel changed it. With the bike on the floor, grabbing the front brake,I can feel a little play, but then again I remember my last bike (Honda crf250r) had the same play. I thought it was from the floating front rotor.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:04 AM

I dont know, something just doesn't feel right. I can also here the spring moving around in there and I dont ever recall hearing that on any past bikes. The preload is correct incase your wondering, as a matter of fact I might have two much preload (5mm) Is there a manual on these forks anywhere?
Old 10-10-2011, 09:16 PM

Default front fork play

Front fork play. So I installed ttx inserts this weekend and when I was putting the front wheel back on I noticed the forks had some play in them. Is this normal? I talked to a guy at Ohlins and he said it was, that there has to be play and it makes sense but I cant believe after all these years I never noticed it. It might be because I installed the TTX stuff I was paying a little more attention to it. Any input? I put this on the suspension forum but there is less traffic there. What is normal free play?
Old 10-10-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemoto View Post
Front fork play. So I installed ttx inserts this weekend and when I was putting the front wheel back on I noticed the forks had some play in them. Is this normal? I talked to a guy at Ohlins and he said it was, that there has to be play and it makes sense but I cant believe after all these years I never noticed it. It might be because I installed the TTX stuff I was paying a little more attention to it. Any input? I put this on the suspension forum but there is less traffic there. What is normal free play?
Sachs have more than most. If you're not scrubbing the anodizing off of the inside of the upper tube or leaking oil you can run it. Yes they feel loose.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 10-10-2011, 09:33 PM

That play is normal on a lot of forks, Zokes do it as well. It does not take a lot of clearance in the bushings to be felt as movement at the base of the fork over 12" lower. You say you hear the springs, are they the same springs or same size? Some of this noise is normal too, especially with the fork off the bike.

Please don't double post, keep the tech questions in the tech forums, thanks.