Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 12-14-2012, 12:02 AM

Hate to burst your bubble but i think the cast 36 is summer time.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:11 AM

Nooooooooooooooooooo.......say it isn't so!

Dear Santa...........this may be a tough one.....but I need you to come pull some strings!
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 12-14-2012, 08:07 AM

Thats the price you pay for that good winter weather.

I thought about doing the studded tire thing this winter but there are so many downed trees in the woods I'm not going to bother. I'll go hiking with my dogs and a chainsaw instead.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Thats the price you pay for that good winter weather.

I thought about doing the studded tire thing this winter but there are so many downed trees in the woods I'm not going to bother. I'll go hiking with my dogs and a chainsaw instead.
If you have studded tires you get 2 things in one, it's basically like having a bike with a chainsaw on the back wheel !!!
Old 12-14-2012, 02:58 PM

Good point!
Old 12-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

On the APT Facebook page, it's a gasser!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (112.3 KB, 79 views)
Old 12-20-2012, 06:52 PM

I have a funny feeling the 2014 GG bikes are going to come with the SmartCarbs.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

But I just bought one!!

Seriously not a bad move though. Will solve some of their supply issues with Keihin and imo be a positive move. They just need to stop taking half a year off work and build enough bikes to deliver on time and they'll start turning some serious coin.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:32 PM

I hear ya and that's usually my luck. If the SC works as well on a GG as it does on my 165 Husky.....you gotta get one!
Old 12-22-2012, 06:41 PM

I have gotten a lot of information from this thread on the SmartCarb. I thought I would re-post the report I did at CafeHusky after testing John01's 36mm SC.

"I finally got a chance to do some testing of the APT from John(Thanks John). Thanks Kelly for sending it on and discussing the cable issue. With the cable turned to the small hole and kept with a pin, I never had any issues with the cable at all(thanks FlyingBob). First thing I did was do a bunch of ripping around with my RB Designs full modded TMXX(including boring to 39mm). It is jetted super crisp and spot on. It has been a month since my last ridng experience and forgot how freaking awsome the 165 runs(200 Fatty pipe). So I immediately switched carbs to the SC and went through all the same gyrations as with the TMXX. First off is the difference in exhaust note everyone else has mentioned. It isn't that much different from the perfect TMXX but noticeable. Second is the "Instant" throttle response everyone has described, definite improvement and corresponding increase in bottom. Third is just how smooth it pulls from idle to max rev's. Was seeing decreased times in 25mph roll ons in 6th. Was able to pull and accelerate on <5mph climbs that the TMXX tended to not respond to in third gear. Mid was very good and it rev'd slightly faster here than the TMXX. Top end, well the TMXX wins here. With the 13X48 gearing it was pulling 69 mph pretty well with the TMXX. The most the SC would pull is 68mph. I attribute this to the much larger bore of the TMXX. I first ran the SC with Kelly's jetting. It was perfect but when I pulled the plug it was burning with a light tan which is a bit close to the edge for me. I richened the adjustment 2 clicks and couldn't notice any change in running but now the plug has a nice light chocolate tan. Another thing I noticed is how clean the SC runs. I mean no smoke or spooge....none. I ended my ride with a ton of low end pulls and climbs which normally gets a little smoke going when you light it back up, now none. I use an Amsoil Dominator/Interceptor mix and these are very high flash point oils that tend to spooge and smoke when ridden like this especially when it is so cold out and the coolant never sees any temps above 110 degrees. With the SC absolutely none of this.

I am not going to have enough time right now to test this against my well jetted PWK airstriker but if John doesn't mind waiting a few extra days I will get that done.
All in all a very nice carb with absolute increases in performance and rideability across the board with the exception of the very top. I don't regret spending the $400 on the cast 38mm SC at all. I did all this testing on my '12 WR/CR 165. The SC is much easier to get in there by raising the sub-frame. It does cause the intake boot to ever so slightly rub on the shock. I am going to get a new boot and do some cutting and massaging to shorten it slightly when I fit the SC permanently. Already done some work on this and it will work by doing some slight removal of the inner lip. Only issue is you lose the little tab you grab.

Bottom line: Very nice upgrade and I expect APT to sell a boat load of these with a $375 price point. Adjustment couldn't be easier and once set I doubt you ever touch it again. Only possible fly in the ointment for APT is that the Lectron is cheaper and probably at the very least comes close to the same performance. We will know more on that once someone has both carbs well set up and test back to back.

wallybean, Today at 1:51 PMEditDeleteHouse Keeping"