Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 08-15-2014, 02:28 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Wicked great site thanks Noah

Old 08-15-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (F5) View Post
Wicked great site thanks Noah
No problem. It was helpful for me.
16' Specialized Fatboy trail
02' ZRX 1200r R.I.P.
72' Olds 500ci, Batten Heads, Street/Drag car, former CarCraft magazine centerfold (has-been)
15' TW200
Old 08-16-2014, 02:08 AM

This is a good thread, it must be a sticky
Old 08-16-2014, 03:50 AM

nah that'll be the morning after a particularly difficult chilli & a few too many beers.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:28 PM

Ahh I got lazy after looking at the space for a Caliper bracket - there isn't any, & as I was ordering some gaskets to a forwarding house I plunked down $60 US for the Braking bracket from Amazon. They will share the freight back to NZ & I don't have to think about it . . . .except how to pay the next credit card bill which was already a problem.

I bought the steering bearings (AB221001 All Bearings YZ250 06 kit) quite a common size in stock at my local shop.

I've found the forks had leaked a little oil when put in vertical position which is common of forks that sat a while. I pulled back the dust seals, ran some film (remember that stuff that cameras used) under the main seals & lightly hazed the shiny chrome with a scotchbite pad cleaned it up & pumped it up & down. Seemed to stop the issue, we'll see but I want to get a ride in rather than do the seals & then have to get them apart for new springs of valving changes if required.

Last edited by (F5); 08-20-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:45 AM

now that I've fully hijacked this thread; my calliper bracket showed up & I bolted it on, looks like the right one for the '06 forks, but the brake was still attached to the GG by the brake lines so I only got to slide it on & measure the disc to spacer distance that looked right.

I think I am going to try make some blocks up to fit the triple clamps that have bolts in them to hit the frame in the same way as the stock setup does. I'll fashion them to bolt on, but butt up against the YZ bottom clamp and also to weld to the YZ fork stops at the top only so as not to compromise and soften the metal of the actual clamps.

I'll see how I go, but this means I'm not having to weld to the frame which will distort the bearing area and more importantly means I don't have to take the frame with everything heavy still attached to someone who can weld it properly (my welder only does messy retained nuts, non critical stuff etc).

But the gaskets showed up so that's job number one anyway. This is likely a month away but will post up pics if it works out.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 09-10-2014, 07:45 AM

Just to clarify about welding on a steering stop. If the fit on the stop is perfect to the frame (no gaps) and it's welded correctly, you won't have an issue with bearing race fitment due to warping.
16' Specialized Fatboy trail
02' ZRX 1200r R.I.P.
72' Olds 500ci, Batten Heads, Street/Drag car, former CarCraft magazine centerfold (has-been)
15' TW200
Old 09-10-2014, 10:58 AM

Can't see me making a perfect one but mainly the moving the bike without the front attached is putting me off.
My weldy guy says that even 7mm thick steel welding a bracket to a hydraulic tube is enough to distort it. But I want to try replicate the std system.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
Old 10-30-2014, 04:53 PM

Well to continue my hijack, I finally got clear (or rather to an impasse waiting for parts) of my other projects to get back to my conversion.

I whipped the front end off & slid in the YZ triple c/w old YZ bearings for now (new ones will go in once any welding done). That was easy enough, now just to work out how to make the steering stops.

I've got some plastic I will carve up to replicate the chunks of metal on the original GG Triple that have the cap bolts threaded into them that hit the frame. I'll make these blocks and then maybe make a jig that can hold threaded rod in place to keep them in the right place, yet to work that out. Then I'll make the blocks out of ally, bolt them from underside & weld the tops of the YZ stops to the tops of these blocks as belt & braces. Should be far enough up that won't affect the rest of the clamp. Will also be a slightly adjustable stop like std.

I'll make an adaptor plate for the front mudguard to pick up original mounts. the last thing is adapting the Motosportz steering damper I have. The holes go right through for the bar clamps in the same place from GG to YZ, only prob is the YZ clamps line up with the rear GG ones & I'd prefer to use the front ones. I'd redrill some holes but it gets thinner there. More thought required.

Hmm I've got a week to do this before my next ride. . .
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
Old 10-30-2014, 07:39 PM
Banned

Can you have a bracket with the stops welded on it that slips over the steering head.This is the way the old school WER steering stabilizers(also known in sweepers world as hood ornaments) were mounted.
You can then either drill completely through the frame behind the neck and secure with one long bolt.Or you could do something even tricker depending on the savviness of your welder fabricater guy.Id drill holes and then tig weld,tack weld a collared threaded insert that would recess into the drilled hole.That way you would be sure the frame was sealed.Spot welding the collar with a tig welder would keep the heat to a minimum and would be behind the trip head itself.

Just a thought