Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Other Bikes... > Other GasGas Bikes/Quads

Other GasGas Bikes/Quads Trials, Pampera, Wild HP, etc.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:20 AM

Default Lower bearing replacement in Sachs rear shock

Hi all,

More Pampera excitement...

There's heaps of slop in the lower bearing of my rear shock.
If I lift the rear mud-guard it moves freely a few inches before there's any resistance (!).
It's definitely the rear shock not the suspension-linkage bearings because I changed all of those last year and I can easily see the movement in the shock bearing, which was the only thing I didn't change last year because it seemed ok.
That will teach me...

Anyhow, I already have the bearing (that I didn't fit last year) and have managed to get the rear shock out WITHOUT taking the swinging arm out.
It looks to me like there are a couple of bushes with flat flanges, which run inside the bearing; I'm guessing that they are pushed in from each side and meet in the middle (?)
These suckers don't want to come out, probably corroded into the bearing (!) so now I have the shock standing in a pot of diesel and will leave it to soak over-night.
Before getting aggressive with it tomorrow, I thought I should ask if anyone has any experience of this job or any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Old 04-02-2018, 12:51 PM

Default Bearing info provided here

The plain spherical bearing for the lower rear-shock bearing for a Pampera 2-stroke (125/250/280) is a GE12C/K4; mine is a KML brand.
The inserts levered out ok, after which the bearing removal/insertion was mostly BAU.
The only thing you can't do with a spherical bearing (unlike a std 2D round bearing) is to use the old one to drive in the new one. This is because the inner bearing (drilled-through sphere) would impact with the same on the new bearing, so you don't want to bash on that and damage the bearing surface.
The bearing is PTFE coated and 'self-lubricating'.
I used a hex socket (18mm) to drive out and squeeze back in (using a vice) the bearing as this was the biggest socket that fitted into the tube in the bottom of the shock, and gave good contact with the outer bearing surface.
Hopefully the reassembly will be uneventful and I'll be rolling again v soon, without the 'slop' in the rear end.
The movement in the bearing was only a few mm, but the effect of leverage means that the back end of the bike moved a couple of inches.

Ride safe and good luck spannering.