Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Suggestions on removing swingarm

My swingarm bolt is siezed to the bushings, heat doesn't seem to phase it, hitting it with a 3 lb sledge and a brass drift does nothing but make noise. I squirted WD 40 in all the joints and am waiting. Maybe I need a bigger torch!

OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs

Old 07-08-2009, 04:29 AM

This might be helpful...

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...rm+axle+puller
'04 Duc M800 R.I.P
'06 Duc S2r 1000 R.I.P
'07 Duc S2r 1000 still rubber side down...
----------------------------------------------------------
May be so... May be not so...

My Website
Old 07-08-2009, 09:53 AM

Roost....loosen the motor mount bolts...worth a try.

Good luck
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 07-08-2009, 11:28 AM

The problem with heat is you can't get it where you need it. So, try cold instead. I know LN2 is beyond the reach of most but dry ice is common. Try packing the hollow of the shaft with dry ice and deep freezing it before you hit it with a hammer. The shaft should contract more than the sleeves. I have removed several frozen bearings from steering stems this way, one just fell off with a tap on the bench. I never had a swingarm seize to try it but its worth a try.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:13 PM

Go find some Kroil. You can get it at gun shops. Best penetrating oil there is. WD is worthless except as a solvent for cleaning.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:52 PM

I soaked it in Maltby penetrant. Then hit it with an air hammer. I didn't even try smacking it after the lube, but with the motor mounts loosened, and one shot with the air hammer, it shot out the other side like a bullet from a gun. My white cabinet in the garage now has a bruise from it! Yikes. I guess it wasn't that stuck. The grease looks good, and even the grease on the swingarm bolt was slippery. I think the biggest deal was loosening the motor mounts.
A lesson well learned.

I have a complaint though. Why so many silly different sizes of bolts???????? Geez, 16,17,18,22mm. All on the linkage. My one complaint with Gas Gas from the very beginning is that it's not a mechanic friendly bike. Wonderful to ride, "what were you thinking" to wrench on. I suppose after owning a Husky, anything is a pain to wrench on, that bike was made with the mechanic in mind.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 07-09-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostafish View Post
Why so many silly different sizes of bolts???????? Geez, 16,17,18,22mm.
Mutter mutter..curse curse..

'06 Raga Rep

(hopefully '08 EC200 & '10 TXT Pro 250 soon)
Old 07-09-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
I have a complaint though. Why so many silly different sizes of bolts???????? Geez, 16,17,18,22mm.
Us proffessional mechanics have a dream (and we mutter it often).... That engineers will spend all eternity wrenching on their own ideas in the afterlife

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 07-09-2009, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I soaked it in Maltby penetrant. Then hit it with an air hammer. I didn't even try smacking it after the lube, but with the motor mounts loosened, and one shot with the air hammer, it shot out the other side like a bullet from a gun. My white cabinet in the garage now has a bruise from it! Yikes. I guess it wasn't that stuck. The grease looks good, and even the grease on the swingarm bolt was slippery. I think the biggest deal was loosening the motor mounts.
A lesson well learned.

I have a complaint though. Why so many silly different sizes of bolts???????? Geez, 16,17,18,22mm. All on the linkage. My one complaint with Gas Gas from the very beginning is that it's not a mechanic friendly bike. Wonderful to ride, "what were you thinking" to wrench on. I suppose after owning a Husky, anything is a pain to wrench on, that bike was made with the mechanic in mind.
One advantage of having a factory trained honda master tech as your best friend -> Les at LT-Racing disassembled that bike and lubed everything for me before it was even ridden. That grease on there was from that prep. If he hadn't have done this - you might have had a little bit harder time with it...

And yes, he did the same for an '08 husky txc510 we purchased and there was much less cussing involved...

jeff
Webmaster
GasGas Riders Club
Old 10-03-2009, 07:31 PM

Soak with PB Blaster then use a air hammer with a punch stlye bit.