Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Question Need your recommendations for my next bike

Sorry for the long-winded introduction, but I need your help!

Everyone here (and the other GG forum) have been very open and honest about your bike experiences... it's one of the things I like best about being a GG owner. So, I'm looking for your recommendations on my next bike.

Next year, I plan to buy a 4T bike for dual sporting... don't worry my XC250 is not up for sale. I know many of you have/had experiences with KTM, Husqvarna, and Husaberg. At this point, I'm open to all brands. I would like to commute to work several times a week. The distance is not long only 15 miles (each way) with speeds ranging from 35 mph to 55 mph. I also plan to go on some longer "adventure" rides in Northern Michigan with the endless miles of singletrack.

Here are my current "2007 model" selections and their ranking:
1) KTM 450EXC or 525EXC
2) Husqvarna TE450 or TE510
3) Husaberg FE450 or FE550
4) GasGas FSE450 or FSE500 (if they ever release one)

KTM and Husqvarna are at the top of my list because I want an easy-to-register street legal machine... no hassles. Yes, I went through the process with my current bike and it was doable, but a PIA. If needed, I will do it again but it must be justified.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the 500's since I believe they will be better on the road. Personally, I think I would be happier with the 450's since their easy to handle in the woods. My biggest fear is killing the 450 engine on my daily commutes.

Also, I'm undecided at this point for wheel choices...
Option #1) Put some good DOT rubber on the stock wheels and use it for both road and offroad all of the time.
Option #2) Buy another set of stock wheels (21" front / 18" rear) with good road-worthy rubber for commuting. Then, swap wheel sets for my trail rides with good offroad-worthy rubber already mounted. NOTE: I would stay with standard rim sizes to minimize change-over issues (like chain and brakes). Yes, a fully deck-out supermoto is cool, but too many parts to switch back and forth... no thanks.

What is your recommendation for the best dual-sport bike and wheel setup?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 07-31-2006, 11:56 PM

Have ridden both the 450 and 550 Husaberg. Like them both, but the 550 feels (to me) too long in the stroke for woods riding, would be fine on more open terrain.
Off course they also make a 650, if you feel like being propelled into orbit....
I think they are all great bikes
Std rims with road tyres with sprockets and chain to swap only, should only take 15 minutes. Any knobblies on the bitumen is a bad compromise, considering the blind people in cars (enemy no 1 on the road).
GG is fuel injected, never have to jet again, gotta be good.
For longer road trips vibration/noise becomes an issue pretty quick and you would want the beast with the least of each.
Hope this helps
05 Pampera 250
Old 08-01-2006, 06:28 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I rode a Husky TE450 a few weeks back. I would not hesitate to buy one if I was going to buy a 4t. It had a trials tire on it and I would do the same, that also solves your DOT tire requirement.

Things I liked:
1. Magic button. Really nice for short guys like me.
2. Very planted and great tractable power. Great torque and with a crack of the throttle accelleration was excellent.
3. Inspired confidence on slippery rocks and hills. I felt like I could climb a verticle cliff. Rock hill climbs are my Achilles and they gave me no problems.

Things I didn't like:
1. Engine breaking.
2. Weight.

I think the likes outweigh the dislikes.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:46 AM

While, I really like my GasGas motorcycles, I always objectively look at each motorcycle purchase to see what the best choice is for my riding purpose. My purchase options this year came down to a GasGas EC300 and a KTM 525 EXC. I went with the GasGas EC300 since most of the time I am on tight, technical trails and that is where the GasGas EC300 excels. I ride logging roads to connect trails. My GasGas EC300 has not seen pavement except for my paved driveway.

If I were going to commute, I would get a KTM 525 EXC.

I have ridden my friends '03 535 EXC on numerous occaisions. He has many thousands of miles on it with no major work.

Strong points....

1) Awesome torque down to idle. It can be geared up for commuting.
2) Great fuel mileage cruising on the road.
3) Strong, reliable e-start that takes an amazing amount of abuse.
4) Extremely reliable engine.
5) Handles very well for a 4 stroke.
6) Great aftermarket part supply.

The biggest downsides of the 525 EXC are...

1) it has a very top heavy 4 stroke feeling, especially when compared to a GasGas 2 stroke.
2) suspension is not as good as GasGas.

These are minor issues for commuting.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the feedback so far. I would love to hear more opinions!

My friend has a KTM 525EXC and it was not the "fire breathing monster" I thought it would be. The power was manageable with great low end torque. I could do without the engine braking and higher CG. However, I think that is typical of 4T bikes.

Any opinions on the 450 vs 525?
Old 08-01-2006, 01:00 PM

Matt,

I would rather have a 525 over a 450. I am 270# geared up ready to ride, so I like lots of low end torque. That is what the 525 delivers. If you want more zip out of the 525, it is available. Jetting changes alone yield quite a bit as they come very lean from the factory.

If you really want monster thrust, get a Husaberg 550. However, they are a different beast.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:23 PM

Smile

The Husaberg 450 has very manageable engine braking, they have done something to reduce this. Cannot remember what thou.
The Husky 450 I took for a spin was too abrupt in the power delivery, but it was jetted by a maniac, so don't t make any decision on that comment, just put me off that particular bike.
You have a great problem on your hands.....
05 Pampera 250
Old 08-01-2006, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Back when I had some extra cash laying around, this was my choice for a dual sport.
Comes already DOT legal.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Guess it depends on your terrain and where you intend to ride it. If your doing a fair amount of road work and fairly open terrain, I'd go to the big bikes 500cc+. I think the 525EXC might be a good compromise. I rode a 450 Berg and was disappointed personally with the power....the 550/650 is another story entirely, but would be a handfull in tight stuff. The Husky also looks real nice, however I have no experience with them to offer. The GasGas has the pluses of having familiar handling, EFI and that wonderful slipper clutch to rid you of that evil engine breaking bother. It and the 450 Berg would be OK for short 10-25 miles pavement runs, but would get old fast on longer runs. Maintained 60mph should not be a problem for any of these bikes.

I just know that for the terrain around here, a 450 is about as big as I'd want to wrestle for "real" offroad riding. That's why I have an EC250...and a KLR for street/adventure touring/dualsporting.

As for tires, if you want a decent wearing, decent grip tire go with the Dunlop 606 (full DOT). They are tolerable offroad and wear better than any knobby I've ever seen...also grip decent enough on the asphalt. About the only thing that can really do both with any competence.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

I really appreciate your help!

My current plans are either to go with the KTM 525EXC or Husky TE510. While the 450's would be very nice on the trails that I ride, I am focusing this bike on more commuting and longer trail/adventure rides. So the 500's sound like the better route to go. As I mentioned, I plan to keep my GasGas for most singletrack riding.

I have been doing more research on maintenance items such as valve adjustments. The KTM uses a screw & jam nut adjustment system, whereas, the Husky uses a shim adjustment system. From things that I have read about Husky, their bikes are very easy to work on. Shims seem like a pain to me but who knows maybe it is easier. The screw & jam nut seem like a better idea but I'm sure it takes some practice to get the adjustment dialed-in without screwing it up when you torque the jam nut.

Do any of you have opinions on maintenance items for either the KTM or Husky?