Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 01-14-2008, 01:59 PM

Default How many O rings on the rear suspension rocker

When I took my triangular shock linkage out in the middle (large) bearing it had 2 o rings on one side and 1 on the other.

Also the small bearing had one thin silver 'cap' type washer on one side and none one the other - has some-one been bodging this?
It didn't look as if anyone has touched these since new though I could be wrong. What color is the OE grease - mine is purple.

From Go Fasters as far as I can tell there is 1 o ring per side and maybe the washers on the little bearing there should be 1 each side.

Which brings me onto the question - are there any better detailed drawings for the chassis or even a chassis manual?

'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)

Old 01-14-2008, 09:48 PM

There should be 1 o-ring per side and 1 metal washer per side.

I had this same question when I first pulled my suspension apart on my 04 300.

As far as drawings I do not recall any.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:14 PM

Have you got any of the manuals form the gasgas webiste? i know one of them has broken down pictures of all the parts. i will have a look when ig ot home from work and see if i can find out for you.

'03 GasGas EC200 My bike
'89 Yamaha TT250 R.I.P - Lost in the Black Saturday Fires
Old 01-15-2008, 02:27 AM

yes, it appears that there is one washer and o-ring on each side according to the manual. This is manual is for the 06 bikes but nothing small like that changes from year to year i'd think. It matches what Go Fasters says so i reckon its right.

Hope this helps.

'03 GasGas EC200 My bike
'89 Yamaha TT250 R.I.P - Lost in the Black Saturday Fires
Old 01-15-2008, 05:31 AM

Is it possible the factory built it wrong or more likely the previous owner has had it to bits? What color is the OE grease?

Also I was not too lucky in that one side swingarm bearing was badly damaged/dry/worn down because the 'top hat' sleeve has cracked, I guess it's a design/manufacture fault as LTR or smeone similar sells hardened sleeves so they must break a lot. Also the big pivot on the swingarm was dry and worn badly with the metal pin/inner sleeve all corroded - I dont know why that one was dry.

I guess I should be stripping this more often - perhaps if I did it when I got the bike all would be fine?
'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)
Old 01-15-2008, 06:15 AM

I've never heard of a top hat bushing cracking. I think it just got too dry in there.
Those of us that have gone through what you just have are now sure to service it at least once a year. 2 years ago I took GMP's advice and used Jet Lube. I've been very impressed. I've had it apart 3 times and everything looks great.
If I ever buy another used bike I'll be sure to check that the pivot bolt will come out without much trouble before I agree on a price.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:55 AM

Your parts failed from lack of maintanence and the work of a previous hack leaving parts out, simple. The bike should be torn down when new (certainly when buying used) and regreased, then at least once a season.

My bike sees water/mud and a good bath every ride. I just tore mine down first time since April and it looks fine. From what I have seen by experimenting, the system can go a season on a service starting with good parts, new o-rings, and good grease. I do check and regrease the lower shock bearing mid season however as its the most highly loaded and smallest bearing, but thats an easy job. Overall for a linkage system its very well sealed and low maintanence.

Hey Brian, the Jet Lube is great but unfortunately Mcmaster does not have it anymore! They have some Dow Chemical stuff for over $40 a can now. Have to find a new source. Another great lube thats just about as good is Castrol PyroPlex Blue, a waterproof grease designed for heavy equipment.

The "top hat" sleeves are very hard. LTR does not sell replacements. Another possibility for the cracked part is if the insert in the frame that tightens against it is uneven, and puts a side load on the part when the pivot is torqued down. My '03 had some slag in this area that I cleaned off. With the lingage/brackes installed, place just the sleeves between the frame and the brackets and check fit. Remove any burrs, slag, etc from the inserts surface for an even clearance to the end of the bushing.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Hey Brian, the Jet Lube is great but unfortunately Mcmaster does not have it anymore!
Bummer. Glad I got mine. The pint should last me almost forever.