GasGas Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   GasGas Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-14-2016, 03:34 PM
95jersey 95jersey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 385
Default What fork springs are you guys using for your specific weight?

Title says it all. Curious as to what you guys are running.


Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 12-14-2016, 04:53 PM
nknudsen's Avatar
nknudsen nknudsen is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SE Minnesnowta
Posts: 720
Default

I'm 185lbs naked and currently use .44 & 5.4 springs. I would like to try a 5.2 some time?
__________________
Noah
2000 EC250 with 2011 transformation kit, KYB SSS forks, MN street title
16' Ski-Doo XS Renegade X 1200 4T
16' Specialized Fatboy trail
02' ZRX 1200r R.I.P.
72' Olds 500ci, Batten Heads, Street/Drag car, former CarCraft magazine centerfold (has-been)
15' TW200
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-14-2016, 04:59 PM
95jersey 95jersey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nknudsen View Post
I'm 185lbs naked and currently use .44 & 5.4 springs. I would like to try a 5.2 some time?
I am 190 naked. I just upgraded to .46F and 5.4S

I had a 5.2 rear and had to over tighten the pre-load to get the right sag.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-14-2016, 05:33 PM
mtnmanseth's Avatar
mtnmanseth mtnmanseth is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Idaho
Posts: 161
Default

180 lbs nekkid / ~205 ride ready, B rider

.46 up front, 5.6 rear
__________________
2005 GasGas EC300
2017 Beta 300RR Race Edition
2021 TM Racing 300EN Fi (2T)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-15-2016, 06:25 AM
Ignas Ignas is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 42
Default

I weight 87kg and use .42 forks and 5.2 shock.
Would like to try .4 in forks as its too stiff right now with wp cc forks. Rear with 5.4 is too harsh for me
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-15-2016, 07:47 AM
95jersey 95jersey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignas View Post
I weight 87kg and use .42 forks and 5.2 shock.
Would like to try .4 in forks as its too stiff right now with wp cc forks. Rear with 5.4 is too harsh for me
You are my weight. You are WAY to heavy for .40 and you are too heavy for .42 and 5.2.

The harshness you are feeling is that your suspension is only working in the bottom part of the stroke. In order to get softer and more compliant you need to go stiffer.

A .42 and 5.2 is for someone under 175lbs with gear.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-15-2016, 12:21 PM
TheLetterJ's Avatar
TheLetterJ TheLetterJ is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Santa Maria, CA USA
Posts: 187
Default

You guys are really going to dislike my setup then!

230lbs in gear
.46 fork
5.8 shock

I don't have my exact preload and sag numbers (or fork oil height) handy, though they are written in a notebook somewhere in my garage. I do know that the rear of the GG is at 95-100mm race sag, and I run minimal preload up front. Forks feel good as far as springs, the shock could stand going up to a 6.0 spring and it needs more low speed comp.

I've been running 1-2 rates softer than recommended in the fork on all my bikes for the last 9 or 10 years. On my faster/desert bikes, I usually run 1 rate higher than recommended in the rear too. I'm very tall, with monkey arms, so I tend to get my weight further back than the average rider when going straight while up on the pegs.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-15-2016, 03:18 PM
Ignas Ignas is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95jersey View Post
You are my weight. You are WAY to heavy for .40 and you are too heavy for .42 and 5.2.

The harshness you are feeling is that your suspension is only working in the bottom part of the stroke. In order to get softer and more compliant you need to go stiffer.

A .42 and 5.2 is for someone under 175lbs with gear.
Just as i got the bike i tried .45 and 5.4 front was like rock hard and rear was ok but 5.2 was better
My static and race sag is fine with 5.2
Problem is that front suspension is working oppositely, i only use 1/3 - 2/3 of travel. I have wp mxma4800 forks and have read that most of the guys puts .4 if used in two stroke.
Also racetech suggests 0.416 and 5.32 for my weight.

I remember changing rear spring to one step harder than oem on my xr650r ant that was terrible idea. It made fast compression even worse and i had to go back to oem spring.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-15-2016, 07:19 PM
95jersey 95jersey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignas View Post
Just as i got the bike i tried .45 and 5.4 front was like rock hard and rear was ok but 5.2 was better
My static and race sag is fine with 5.2
Problem is that front suspension is working oppositely, i only use 1/3 - 2/3 of travel. I have wp mxma4800 forks and have read that most of the guys puts .4 if used in two stroke.
Also racetech suggests 0.416 and 5.32 for my weight.

I remember changing rear spring to one step harder than oem on my xr650r ant that was terrible idea. It made fast compression even worse and i had to go back to oem spring.

Strange I am bottoming out my forks with .42 pretty bad. Just sitting on the bike they drop mm ore than an inch. But I have zooks not WPA.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-16-2016, 05:26 PM
Ignas Ignas is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 42
Default

Think it might be because of closed cartridge forks. Or you like high jumps more than me.
I have almost 0 sag at front when on bike
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KYB forks what weight springs are you using? nknudsen Enduro Suspension 2 03-24-2014 08:31 AM
Please use the Technical Forums for specific questions MattR General Discussions & Announcements 1 01-14-2008 07:24 PM




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2009 - GasGasRider.org