Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:02 PM

Its just a SPST switch, you could use any switch, even a toggle on a simple bracket if you want. The map select function is controlled by either connecting or disconnecting two wires. One wire to each side of the switch, simple. The new KTMs have the same or similar CDI. It will work.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn280 View Post
Both companies use the same Kokusan cdi unit.
i just learned that the KTM does have the dual map CDI. i didn't realize it's the same unit. thanks for the help. now i'm off to find the switches. my guy want the "hi-zoot" Gas-Gas switch.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:25 AM

Default MC250 duel map ign? Info

I just bought a 05 mc250 that I heard the early half of the year had a duel map, and they ran out of the duel and went to what I have now.

Anybody know the truth about whether the early 05 MC250's had duel map? I know the DE250's had the duel map, but the difference between slick and sunshine was very minimul, but the 300 made a big difference.

Does anyone know if I can get a duel map that is full blown MXer in one mode and smooth power/torque for mud in other position. I've asked this question several times in the last 8 months, but learned some new things, so let me know if you know anyting I don't.

Matt
Old 01-10-2007, 09:11 AM

Default Dual map DE 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Those that have the newer 250s with the dual map CDI, could you please desribe the difference in feel between the two maps? Thanks.

Its sure been dead around here lately.
Hopefully, I know what I'm talking about. If you have a '06 DE250, there is almost no difference between "rainy" and "sunny". I forget how it works out, whether it's rainy or sunny, but if you get used to riding in one mode wide open, it's the same as the other mode wide open, with such a very insignificant difference. In other words, the switch may not as well be there.

The DE300 is a major difference. "Rainy" mode will chug through anything, slow, torquey, and slick, and "sunny" will haul major league triple AAA, outrevving and overrevving KTM's reason for putting out a 300 to start with.
KTM is just now coming out for the reason for user hooked up duel map in 07, when GG started in 05.

Anyway, I've got a new 05 MC250 motocross that I just bought in Aug that I'm searching for that mythical motocrosser dual map. So many dealers and so many stories. The last, most credible, duel MX map story I heard came out of Gofasters, and I think it actually had more to do with a story that had been told to me and recycled, and made it to Gofasters because of my inquisition. The original MC250 dual map came from a KTM dealer in Maryville TN, and when cross examined, he admitted he never hooked it up to slower map. When I was talking MC250 ignition with Gofasters, they told me about how the DE250 style ignition ran out mid year, and mine had the late model single map. No one I know has ever been able to confirm or deny that the earlier dual DE250 style actually had more than one ignition curve programmed into the box
Old 01-11-2007, 03:49 AM

Hi!

Yesterday I tried first time to drive in the night (great! It was the 4th time already..) with the two connected cables looping out of the dual CDI (MC2005...) disconnected. The difference was small but noticable. Nothing great. I think it improved the lugging a bit. First and second gear rock gardens were a bit easier. If there weren't rocks there were a lot of slippery muddy short ruts. Sliding all the time without spiked tires. I cannot say yet which mode I like most but it's good to have both. The nice hit of the MC remains about the same but it was a bit like on/off switch.... not smooth and strong all the way as with the sunny mode.

Leon
Old 01-11-2007, 08:44 AM

Dealer tells me the same thing, just about pointless on the DE250.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:41 AM

Default Duel map wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
Gmp ,
l have a 05 ec 250 ,it had the dual cdi on it but no switch , l put a switch on it about a year ago , the sunny mode feels like the motor has been leaned off a bit , it is a fair bit crisper and has a slight but noticable crack to it , l like using this setting on open courses when its really muddy as the rear spins up quicker and seems to clear the rear wheel and grip , the rain setting mode ( handbag mode ) is pretty helpful when going gets tricky , slippy uphill climbs are a little better , on the whole the effect of the switch is quite suttle , worth having if you have the dual cdi fitted already , just for the record l also tried the bigger power valve cover but l found it had too much bottom end and took it off after one race , hope this of some help

I've got the 05 250 MC motocross model. I've heard at least three different stories about the possibility of the MC having duel map. One is it has it, just like the DE, two is it doesn't have it, even though the kokusan CDI are the same physical unit, and three is it had it for the first half of the year of 05 (Very few 06's made it to the U.S.), but they ran out of the right Kokusan CDI unit, and switched to something else midyear, and I can tell by where the unit is mounted.

I wanted the 50mm forks and MX frame and assumed I would need a weight to go on that superlight flywheel. Instead, my bike has an incredible amount of low end torque, and the motor doesn't feel like a MX bike at all. I put the jet kit in and it only improved the low end. While the bike is not slow, 2 stroke snap seems to fade with RPM. It runs like the description of the 300 in rainy mode.

Could someone describe their CDI to see if I have the right kokusan CDI and tell me what wires I hook or unhook to change the mode. I think everything is plugged in now, but I'm afraid to start unpluging wires without knowing what I'm doing.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:36 AM

Hi!

My MC had the cdi in the airbox and if you check the cdi you would see two simple (red-black or black-white I think) wires connected together. If you just disconnect them you get the "cloudy" mode.
If my MC was a 6-speed like yours I wouldn't change it. Just a 14oz weight... With the 4-speed there wasn't any torque feeling down low and it needed a lot of clutching in technical parts with a lot of load on the engine (I felt sad hearing the clutch crying...). The mid and top power IS amazing with good overrev. A friend of mine with a 4-speed 525 SX was really impressed with the MC in a sand MX track.

Leon
Old 01-31-2007, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon_gasgas View Post
Hi!

My MC had the cdi in the airbox and if you check the cdi you would see two simple (red-black or black-white I think) wires connected together. If you just disconnect them you get the "cloudy" mode.
If my MC was a 6-speed like yours I wouldn't change it. Just a 14oz weight... With the 4-speed there wasn't any torque feeling down low and it needed a lot of clutching in technical parts with a lot of load on the engine (I felt sad hearing the clutch crying...). The mid and top power IS amazing with good overrev. A friend of mine with a 4-speed 525 SX was really impressed with the MC in a sand MX track.

Leon
I think I have the "replacement" CDI that I was told they used the last part of 05 because they ran out of the standard Kokusan unit while they were building them. I was told the standard CDI was mounted in the airbox on the back of the rear fender.

Mine is mounted under the gas tank. I have to take off my tank to get to the CDI. Is your's mounted to the back of the rear fender inside the airbox? I have screw holes there.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:05 AM

Yes, it was mounted in the airbox.

Leon