Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:36 PM

Question ec 300 2005 won't rev high nor idle...

a friend's got an ec 300 that has had nearly everything checked but still doesn't run well.
it doesn't idle, and doesn't rev past halfway.
starts fine when cold (even without chocke) but when warmed up it sounds like it's VERY rich as if chocke was on all the time, this is how i can discribe it the best.

engine has even been split and put new seals on the cranck, new (carbon) reeds.
we swapped out my carb from my ec 200 and still doesn't run well, but somewhat better since it's a bit leaner.
silencer has been removed to check if it wasn't blocked, to no avail.
PV moves as it should.
CDI has had an update from gasgasdealer.
funny thing is, that the engine runs much smoother when we open the drain hole at the bottom of the engine i guess it then runs better as it can't suck that much fuel in...
only thing left to swap are the ignition coil and static timing on the 2K3 ign.

anybody have an explanation on how it can run better without the drain bolt??

thanks for any input.

Hannes.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:47 PM

What are you running in the carb?

My 2005 ran piss poor, and had no idle with the stock needle (N1...something IIRC), N3EG clip #3 and a 42 pilot, 175 main jet - and it's super sweet, with a slight fourstroke burble coming from closed throttle, that I can live with.

Not loading up, snappy all the time, and rideable.

Get the jetting right, then work on the airscrew (I run mine almost 2 turns open from fully closed now).
The thing with the stock jetting is that it's super rich on bottom, and makes all lift the throttle too much with the idle scew - just to get it to idle...and you're out of the pilot circuit...

/J
Old 12-02-2012, 01:14 PM

We had one acting up like that and it turned out the needle egged out where it moves up and down in the carb . That bike wore out a carburetor before it needed a topend ! We put a new carb with the same jetting and it was back to running great .
Old 12-02-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGM View Post
What are you running in the carb?

My 2005 ran piss poor, and had no idle with the stock needle (N1...something IIRC), N3EG clip #3 and a 42 pilot, 175 main jet - and it's super sweet, with a slight fourstroke burble coming from closed throttle, that I can live with.

Not loading up, snappy all the time, and rideable.

Get the jetting right, then work on the airscrew (I run mine almost 2 turns open from fully closed now).
The thing with the stock jetting is that it's super rich on bottom, and makes all lift the throttle too much with the idle scew - just to get it to idle...and you're out of the pilot circuit...

/J
MJ 172 ,PJ is 42 and needle is probably N1EG (can't get it out since the nut ontop of the slide is screwed up :-s ) and set at it's leanest
i don't think it's that, since my own 300 used to ride just ok with that needle.(with quite some blubbering but do-able)
we swapped my complete carb (from my 200) with CCL needle 180MJ and 45 PJ and syptoms were still the same.
previous owner said it ran best with a 145 MJ but that was just to disguise the problems.
somehow i don't think it's jetting related but rather a problem that makes it run rich (or so it seems as if it's rich)...

it really runs as you're constanty running choke ON :-/
Old 12-02-2012, 01:45 PM

All I know is that my bike ran like crap, and I put the same jetting all other GG EC300 riders over here are using, which is the N3EG with a 42 and 175/178 - and it went from stinky rich, non idling, building up POS to just about spot on.

/J
Old 12-04-2012, 03:56 PM

did you look at the seat the needle goes down into, in the carb and see if it is egg shaped ? what did you find ?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:29 PM

Before you do anything else, service the silencer/spark arrestor...if you have a good spare that has fresh packing, put it on and try it. If you don't have a spare, repack the one you have with new packing. With the drain plug out, it is relieving just enough back pressure to run smoother.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:19 PM

Any updates on this problem????
Old 12-07-2012, 01:56 PM

hi guys, owner of the bike here

Just replaced the needle with a brand new N3EG.
Bike still runs like crap, no powerband whatsoever.
Next step is to check the silencer and carb seat for wear...

i'll keep you guys posted !
Old 12-07-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitar View Post
hi guys, owner of the bike here

Just replaced the needle with a brand new N3EG.
Bike still runs like crap, no powerband whatsoever.
Next step is to check the silencer and carb seat for wear...

i'll keep you guys posted !

all of that has just been checked ,to no avail
power valve has allso been checked for movement and seems ok.
could a faulty ignition coil make it run that crappy?
all i can say is that it sounds kinda louder then "usual" thrue the airfilter when you open up throttle...