Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:51 PM

Default Cold weather - what to do??

Hey fellas,

I have a 250DE with a 300 top end. I haven't yet looked at what jetting, needle and slide I'm running. I am at about 900 ft above sea level in Wisconsin. I'm going to be ice riding the bike this year, and am contemplating the jetting. But, I have had the bike running in cooler weather, and took a spin today around the yard, sort of putting a bit, but the bike started alright, but took a few kicks. It idled fine, and seemed to run fine once warm (by the way its 25F here today). Should I bother changing the jetting if its running alright and starts? Or do I go ahead and bump the pilot and main up just a hair, and consider one up on the slide?

Just curious - I don't want to burn it up. I usually stay off the ice if it is much below 20 degrees F, but have been out there when it was about 5 - BRRRR!!!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I

Old 11-29-2007, 02:55 PM

Be careful running her in the cold without rejetting! You'll score the piston warp a head, or she'll seize up tight on you.

I have a 200 and I run a 180 main, 45 slow 3rd clip (LTR needle) between 60° and 80°F.

Here's the chart I've been running by for 2 years hot and cold riding. I've run the chart from 100°F down to 20°F (Never had the clankers to try and run below zero!) If anything, I run a little rich, which is good in the cold.

I'm in Minnesota, so I'm set up for about 900 ft above sea level as well.

Take her easy until she has time to warm up.

These are what I've worked out for my 200
Temp Main Slow Clip Air Screw
100°-120° 170 42 3 ½OUT
80°- 100° 175 45 3 ½ OUT
60°- 80° 180 45 3 ½ OUT
40°- 60° 182 45 3 ½ OUT
20°- 40° 185 45 3 ½ IN
0° - 20° 190 48 3 ½ IN
-10°- 0° 195 48 4 1 IN
Below -10 200 50 4 1 IN

I would cover one side of the radiator with duct tape or cardboard too.

Anyone with more experience cold riding? I plan on getting out more this winter too. (key word "plan")

I know some of the guys at GoFasters winter ride in Minnesota as well. I'd give them a call and see what they suggest for the 300 jetting at our winter temps. Be cautious, don't wreck her.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:02 PM

Hey thanks Barkeater,

Glad I asked. I figured it might be hard on it - but did not realize I'd be running that big of a risk. I definitely will find out where I am at, and adjust accordingly.

I had definitely better go rich too. On the ice, the bike gets worked pretty hard, and your definitely wringing that sucker out far, far more than I ever would on the trail.

Calling Go Fasters is also a great suggestion.

Say - you fellas up der in MN ice ride at all? I have relatives up in MNPLS, and I thought about bringing the bike when I come to visit. Anyone plow any one of those 10,000 lakes for a little recreational ice riding??!!

~300
Old 11-29-2007, 03:21 PM

I always start the winter with good intentions, end up riding once or twice and then cleaning the turpentine out of my float bowl in the spring.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:09 AM

Default Hmmmmm ...

I just rebuilt my EC 250 after a cold weather seisure. I thought it was because of loose base nuts.

I have upgraded to an EC 300 cylinder now. I made absolutely sure that the base nuts were properly torqued this time though. I started with everything new, cylinder, head, piston,rings, wristpin, bearing and all new gaskets.

I ride at about 600 ft. above sea level, but it was a cool day at around freezing (32 deg. F) I think it was a high of 40.
I took the break in really really serious this time. Two heat cycles, each on separate days, and mellow riding on ride day. I have an engine hours clock on the bike. After about an hour of mellow riding, I found a sandy beach by the river to rip around on at higher RPM. As I was pulling away from my higher RPM romp in the sand, the bike just quit... !! I did get it to fire up again after a minit of crying, but she only ran for a second or two. ore weeping and gnashing of teeth and another restart attempt, ans she ran just fine. After this, I just thought maybe some crap has shaken loose and temporarily plugged a jet in the carb. The bike ran fine the rest of the day.

I have the LTR jet & needle kit.

Should I be running with a 185 main, and 45 pilot as suggested above ? Is this why I seised last time ? Did I partialy (is it possable) seise the motor this last time ?
Old 01-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Could have been ice buildup in the carb. The point just around freezing makes stuff to carb of high revving twostrokes. We ride lots of cold weather, some guys wrap their carb with foam to shield off snow from making the carb even colder.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:07 PM

I use a piece of tube zip-tyed around the carb
Old 01-21-2008, 09:40 PM

Default My jetting...

I have a 180 main jet and a 45 idle jet.

I also have the LTR jet and needle kit.

It looks like Barkeater wants me to run a 185 main for 20 deg to 40 deg weather.
Is the 180 main lean enough to actualy damage my nice new motor ?!?

The cylinder was nice and warm to the touch and the air was pretty dry and only cold at higher speeds (through about 20 layers of clothing)
It took a little longer than a month for me to get the parts and actualy do the rebuild. My theory (hope) is that some gunk inside the carb temporarily clogged a jet and then rattled loose after a moment during the second bout of weeping and gnashing. I will clean the carb before I go out riding again.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:50 PM

Keep in mind I have a 200 and I'm at 900 MSL. Your jetting baseline is different. When in doubt, call LTR. Les can help you establish a baseline for your bike, then use the chart in your owners manual to adjust for altitude and temperature.