Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:18 PM

Default Home from Southwick

My goal was to finish my four motos yesterday. I did.
Final results:
Decrepit 45+, I finished 17th out of 24 riders.
Headlight Class, I finished 10th out of 13. That's right, only 13 enduro bikes showed up to support a MX race that gives them their own class. Tragic.
Oh, and I won a very nice Forum snowboard (The Recon 153 Chilly Dog) with bindings because I was the first to pre-register (14 minutes, this race/party is a no-brainer decision).

But here's the best part, (snipped from FB)
This morning, circumstances allowed that I was the first on the track for today's open riding. This is a world-class riding facility - the best riders in the world race here. Deep, perfect sand all the way around, up and down hills with tight turns and fast sweeping turns. A little rough from yesterday's racing, it was still in better shape than any other time I have ridden there (yesterday's conditions were fantastic). This morning, Ralph had groomed the big uphill right-hand sweeper that brings you back out of the "back side" of the track (I guess you'd call it turn six). It was glorious out there. I came across the finish after my first lap and nobody was out yet. On lap two, it was only my one fresh line from a few minutes before scratched into the deep sand. In the end, I had the whole of Southwick's famed MX338 all to myself for almost three laps. Words can not convey how good that was for me. Just Heaven. Very, very special. I love that track. And I love my GasGas. Thanks to Davo Stimilon for being exactly what this sport needs more of. Thanks to Ralph for being cooler than cool. Thanks to the crew who showed up in our pits to ride or support. And thanks to Forum Snowboards for my awesome snurfer. What a great few days.

Please join me on the gate next year.
www.stimilon.com

-Dean
2001 xc300 (now with 2005 plastic)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stimilon 2012 finish line.jpg (96.9 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by motogroove; 05-28-2012 at 08:25 AM. Reason: embed image

Old 05-28-2012, 08:23 AM

Fun in the pits is part of the whole Stimilon experience. I like a race that doesn't take itself too seriously.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg doll in drag.jpg (122.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Chilly Dog websize.jpg (107.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Super Chicken websize.jpg (96.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 05-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Site Sponsor

Wow. Very cool. I wish i could experience that on a track....i have experienced this on ski hills.

I love the costumes......and the gg on the track!
Ride with confidence again!

Made in the USA
Old 05-29-2012, 10:14 AM

Glad you had fun. Low turnout tragic? Consider though that your in NETRA land, where bikes with lights are setup for, and raced in rocks. Trying to go fast in deep sand, on an MX track no less, sucks on a bike setup for the gnarly woods up there. I know because my bike is setup the same way, and the few times I've been to a sand track it was not fun. I'll race in sand when I have to, but in the woods as part of the natural terrain. I'm sure most of the woods guys up there feel the same way, and there are lots of other events going on. Do you ride any enduros or harescrambles, or some of the NETRA Turkey Runs?
Old 05-29-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Glad you had fun. Low turnout tragic? Consider though that your in NETRA land, where bikes with lights are setup for, and raced in rocks. Trying to go fast in deep sand, on an MX track no less, sucks on a bike setup for the gnarly woods up there. I know because my bike is setup the same way, and the few times I've been to a sand track it was not fun. I'll race in sand when I have to, but in the woods as part of the natural terrain. I'm sure most of the woods guys up there feel the same way, and there are lots of other events going on. Do you ride any enduros or harescrambles, or some of the NETRA Turkey Runs?
Well, you are correct in that this event is not for everybody. But there's somebody here who probably would really enjoy this. Not sure which one of you... You will thank me after.

And I understand that a NETRA regular night have better things to do with his budget and energy. I get that. However:
If woods bikes suck there, that's all the more credit the promoter should get for providing us our own class. That's what various classes are for, right? He's cool enough that the class won't disappear. But it would be nice to fill the gate more than 25%. And also, look who wins (Image) Maybe not tragic, but...

It is important to remember that this event is all about fun and riding - the competition aspect is almost secondary except in rockstar class. Consideration that the bike is not ideal is missing the point of this particular event. There were two Honda Elsinores lined up there, a 20something year old WR250, etc. For me, and my skill level, a deep sand track on a large scale is one of the few or only places where I can use all 300cc's of Spanish fury, and hold it open. Unlike some pedestrain KDX, my Spanish Fly is highly adjustable. The time I spent out there this weekend was about as far from sucking as being alive can be. I don't use the word "glorious" much, and it came to me on my 2nd lap of open riding.

I have done a few NETRA events a few, er, lotsa years back. I did the Salmon Run once and the Dam Good twice. Thomaston Dam was sort of home turf for me. Even if I'm woods racing, I prefer unsanctioned events where I'm not going to be in the way of some points race coming through to lap me. Meriden Motorcycle Club's Turkey Run was always a favorite. I'm not fast and will never be competitive, so "racing" for me is more about the thrill of particpation.

But over the years I've come to a balanced reality for me about woods versus track. I'd rather ride in the woods every time. But if I'm racing, I'd rather be on a track. I am blessed to own a bike that's pretty damned good at both.

Skidplate and handguards, clickers... back to the woods for me for the rest of the season. But I can't wait for next year at Southwick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 420_track04 websize.jpg (115.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg headlight winner websize.jpg (122.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-29-2012, 02:55 PM

Hey its all good. I was just pointing out a possibility for what you saw as low turnout in a woods bike class, thats all. Come down in Aug for the Quarry Run or Nov for the Hammer Run. Lots of miles on prime trail and no stress of racing.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:43 PM

Indeed it is (all good).
Hammer Runs sounds fun. Haven't heard of the quarry run before.

Here's turn one, Headlight moto2. My chosen apex is about ten feet to the right of #658, which gives me the inside line in turn two (if I get there in time). But mostly it keeps me out of trouble in turn one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #420_holeshot websize.jpg (100.2 KB, 42 views)