Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:03 PM

Default ec 250 float heights?????

hi all,
anyone point me in the right direction with fuel problems on uk ec250. Has been running fine till recently, just coincedence it got little colder and problems started i think.

when going down longish descents or using very little throttle for long periods the plug fouls up ,also had trouble with fuel leaking from bowl overflow when engine off and bike on side stand so guessing these two related to float height ,but it also ran out of fuel in carb during fast road section .
could it be that this too is also float height problem? is it worth fitting new float valve,(number 8 on parts diagram ) and reseting float height to 17mm?? or would 16mm be better?

thanks in advance

also cheers mods for quick posting problem !

Old 02-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Banned

It might be worthwhile to check the two tabs on the carb body that support the float pivot pin. They can become ovaled and enlarged from vibration making it extremly. difficult to set the float height correctly

Last edited by widebear; 02-04-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:22 AM

ok sorted the float height problem out when i had it to bits to clean carb out had forgotten to clip the float valve spring over float tab !!!!

hopefully a quick jetting question, running on the following sizes was wondering if the colder weather could cause problem with plug wetting on lower throttle positions and how to go about sorting it ,or is it just a simple case of adjusting air screw out to lean mixture off? realise most of you guys in usa and our cold aint same as your cold!

38 pilot
180 main
7 slide
n1ef middle clip
Old 02-07-2008, 01:00 AM

Hi!

Here in Finland with temps around 0 C this jetting is lean (at least for the 07 EC250 which, as Glenn wrote, it requires much bigger jets than older models). First I went to 45 pilot with air screw at 1-1.5 turns out. Just yesterday moved the needle (N1EF) clip to 4th position from top improving the low-mid response and torque but still I got pinging/detonation/loss of power when I tried to use full power once, with the 180 main jet. Today I will go straight to an 190 and test on the weekend. At least to go rich to get rid off the pinging.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:33 AM

If you guys in Europe/UK can get some of the other needles mentioned you should try them. I know Les has sold kits in Europe, contact him for a distributor. The JD Blue is good and the CCK Keihin needle has a good rep as well, about to try that myself in a 250 Husky w/Keihin conversion.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:27 AM

Hi!

I think I arrived to a good jetting spec for the 07 EC250 for winter in Finland. I have to add that we add about 1% of ethanol liquid (plus 2% oil...) to help the petrol and the carb boot not to freeze (actually the moisture in the air channel not to become ice... I hope you understand me). For this we use also sleeping bag bases to cover the carb from snow, ice and cold air and to guide warm air from the cylinder to the carb.

Pilot: 45
Air screw 1,5 turns out,
Needle N1EF, clip #4 from top
Slide 7
Main Jet: 190

It's a completely new bike now with torque and power everywhere on the rpm range. The detonation and pinging (what felt like power valve issues...) is gone.

Leon
Old 02-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Banned

Leon, Just curios. what is your temp and elevation and how close are you to the ocean?
Old 02-16-2008, 01:06 AM

think i may have sorted it,have backed the air screw out alittle more and also blanked off 1/2 the rad as advised and now it seems to go a hell of a lot better also smells like its getting hot,cheers guys
Old 02-17-2008, 10:30 AM

Hi!

This jetting now is good from -4(Thursday) to +3 C (today). At least these two temps I have tried with the new jetting. Sea level (+50m max) altitude, and about 10 km away from the sea. It felt a bit better today so an 195 jet for colder than -5 C is good to use. I don't think we will get these temps anymore this year.

Leon
Old 02-18-2008, 04:29 AM

Default Ec250 '08 Jetting

I have a new EC250 and have played with the jetting. I started at the following
set-up:

mj 178
pj 42
needle n1eg#2

In weather around 10 C the bike is very responsive with a slight hesitation from low to mid transition. I bought a R1369D Honda needle (CCK equivalent as Povit has suggested) but I have not tried it out yet since the weather has droped to around freezing and I don't know how much I should increase the main and where to place the clip. I ride enduro races here between sea level to 500 meters. Should I put the richer nief needle and lower the clip to #3 and 182 main?