Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:23 AM

Default Needle question?

I currently have a N1ED needle with a #7 slide and I'm trying to find out what the next leaner needle would be from here. I have asked the local GasGas dealer but I'm getting the old "I have no idea it's been too long" answer from them. I thought they were supposed to be Off Road Experts???? I guess I should have just asked here first, it was my mistake. Thanks in Advance. -Josh

Old 12-07-2006, 09:46 AM

The N1Ex series is a triple taper needle that can be difficult to get dialed in. If you really want to mess with triple taper needles, I suggest that get the JD Jetting guide (Excel spreadsheet) so you can graphically compare various versions of triple taper needles before you start buying needles. You can also compare straight taper needles.

An easier way to go is buy the LTR jet kit, which has worked well for my trail and woods riding.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:49 AM

Erik,

Thanks for the input on this topic. I was considering the LTR kit but I have everything minus the needle is a good state right now so it seems a waste to get the whole kit, when a needle is an inexpensive item. Although as I do more research on this it seems as though answers are near impossible to find. So the bullet might just to be bitten.
Thanks again - Josh
Old 12-07-2006, 02:41 PM

Rich to lean - N1ED, N1EE, N1EF, N1EG
From my measurements these needles differ only in the base diameter. After the "L1" dimension they appear to be the same.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:48 PM

Dave,
Thanks for the information buddy.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:45 AM

You might try to contact carb parts warehouse,they used to have an ad in the back of cycle news and were very helpfull for me in the past on another bike w/keihin carb.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:36 AM

If it's easier, the N1E? needle series are Suzuki parts, just ask the counter guy to look up the optional needles for a 2000 RM250. You are using the right slide, so you should be able good once you get the correct diameter.
2009 KTM 250XC - street legal CO trails connector

2015- Giant Trance carbon advanced-pedal power
Old 03-21-2007, 02:55 PM

Default needle reading

When i had a KTM 300xcw, I tried to decipher the code.

The best i could come up with is what Dave said. The last digit is the base diameter and is coded by how many two digit decimals after 2 mm. For Keihin codes I believe a straight taper ending in G would be 2.69mm base diam, and K would be 2.70, but these letters aren't always the same value as Keihin with manufacturer translations, but the idea is the same.

This is good to know with keihin because the seat(called needle jet as opposed to jet needle) is not replaceable like a Mikuni, so when the seat wears, you can go up a diameter. With a three taper needle, I don't think I'd start messing with tapers.

The needle hole can even be off slightly from the factory, making it difficult to properly tune the pilot jet. I shoot for a pilot that tunes between one and two turns on the airscrew. If my carb needs a pilot drastically different then stock, I'll try to get closer to stock tuning with needle diameter. If my pilot is tuning much richer than stock, I'll reduce needle diam, allowing me to lean out the pilot, and vice versa. Of coarse, then you'll have to adjust the clip position and make sure the main is still working for you.
- - - - - - - - - -
"Old" bikes>
06 KTM 300XCW- returned-dealer scam- 1st owner seized & returned prior to sale to me as "new"
87 Yam YZ490
81 Yam IT250
84 Honda v45 Magna
74 Suzuki TS400
76 CZ motocross 250-bought new in 81-should have kept
74 Kawasaki G5100
Old 03-22-2007, 10:10 PM

mattmax, you have imparted some very valuble knowledge here! the fact that the jet needle(orfice that the needle drops into) will and does wear,means that we all have to tune our engines/carbs to what they like/will run on,as opposed to a cookie cutter jetting kit. yes the kits are helpful,but they aren't the answer to every bikes jetting needs!!