Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 05-21-2012, 12:57 PM

Unhappy HELP: Sachs Gold rear suspension

Guys,

I'm a brazilian rider, so I'm sorry for some mistakes im my english...
Recently, I've decided to buy a GAS GAS EC 250 (two stroke) 2012. It has a good package: electric start, reliable engine, excel rims, light weight, FMF silencer, a new frame with a plastic sub-frame and other features.
For the front forks, I've choosen Mazorchi 48mm closed cartridge, but for rear shock absorber...
I've gone to dealer decided to order my Gas Gas with Ohlins 888 rear suspension, a feature that will add few more dollars to final price, but the technical guy said that the new Sachs Gold rear suspension is better than this model of Ohlins.
He told that this Sachs suspension is an "all new" system that was released last year on 2011 Six Days series and it has performed very well on all tests...
So, my doubt is: "Is it true that this new Sachs is better than a traditional Ohlins shock absorber (not a TTX)?"

Thanks to everyone !!

Old 05-21-2012, 01:07 PM

I don't know about a new Sachs, but there is nothing wrong with the properly valved and setup Sachs on my '07. Its a quality steel body gas piston shock, just like an Ohlins. It wouldn't bother me in the least to get a Sachs shock on a '12. I know when the '07s first came out, some came with Sachs, and some with a lower grade Ohlins, with a rubber upper mount bushing that failed quickly. Sachs was better then. The older Ohlins gold series were very good. The 888s are supposed to be good, but have a really dumb placement of the rebound adjuster IMO. Your likely in good shape either way, good luck.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:22 PM

I had the gold Sachs on my 07' and I have the Ohlins 888 on my current 11'. hese two shocks are totally different. The Sachs was only good for the trashcan. The Ohlins is the best stock suspension I've ever ridden.
I would buy the Ohlins888, when the price is not tooooo high.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAVES View Post
Guys,

I'm a brazilian rider, so I'm sorry for some mistakes im my english...
Recently, I've decided to buy a GAS GAS EC 250 (two stroke) 2012. It has a good package: electric start, reliable engine, excel rims, light weight, FMF silencer, a new frame with a plastic sub-frame and other features.
For the front forks, I've choosen Mazorchi 48mm closed cartridge, but for rear shock absorber...
I've gone to dealer decided to order my Gas Gas with Ohlins 888 rear suspension, a feature that will add few more dollars to final price, but the technical guy said that the new Sachs Gold rear suspension is better than this model of Ohlins.
He told that this Sachs suspension is an "all new" system that was released last year on 2011 Six Days series and it has performed very well on all tests...
So, my doubt is: "Is it true that this new Sachs is better than a traditional Ohlins shock absorber (not a TTX)?"

Thanks to everyone !!
American riders were treated to Ohlins 888 shocks on their 2011 Six Days bikes (Mexico series) and did not get the Finland-themed bikes, so you'll definitely need help from non-US riders. The Sachs on our standards were decent suspenders, on par with the 888.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 05-21-2012, 08:40 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

It has higher heat tolerance, it will be good but no doubt it will need a revalve as all Sachs gear across all brands seems to miss the mark with valving in stock form. Build quality is great. If its a bit cheaper to get the Sachs expect to pay the difference for a revalve and have a better shock than the ohlins once this is done.

http://www.motomecanicatrujillo.com/...a-6days-2t.pdf

Shows the difference in the compression adjuster piston assembly which looks higher flow = lower heat. It also has higher volume as far as I can tell.

Current. 2015 ec300r estart, 98 RM 125

2013 Ec300r 2011 Ec300e 2009 Husky TE310
1982 XR500 Honda 1981 KE100 Kawasaki
1978 GT80 Yamaha
Old 05-22-2012, 12:40 PM

We have this new type Sachs in our teams 250F -11 (6-days Finland) I can't say wich one is better -11 888 ohlins or that sachs.

-12 ohlins 888 misses fast compression adjustment that sachs has. I've ridden both and can't really say wich is better...

Sachs might be cheaper and has more adjustability than -12 ohlins 888, but usually is a bit more expensive to get serviced (att least here).

I think this didn't help you to make your decision - sorry

ps. There is also TTX 44 for -12 Gassers....

When it hurts you know you're allive!

Gas Gas EC 300 Factory Racing 2012
- Ohlins TTX both front and rear
- Rekluse Core EXP 2.0 + Rekluse clutch basket
- Scalvini full exhaust system
- S3 Head
- Trusty adjustable PV cover

That was ultimate setup for me...
Now trying something else for a while...
Old 05-22-2012, 01:16 PM

There are some VERY fast guys here that came up through the ECEA to Pro and ISDE level that did just fine on revalved Sachs shocks, mostly Huskys but GGs too. Then, and now, with a new crew of fast young guns, I see no one throwing $$ at Ohlins TTX stuff. In fact, I don't ever recall seeing a TTX shock on a bike here. We have some great tuners who get the perfectly adequate OEM shocks working for the rider in his application. Why some guys think they can buy a bike and ride it with stock generic valving, then call it trash when it doesn't work for them is beyond me. Do SG12 boots suck because your size 12 and bought size 10?
Old 05-22-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
There are some VERY fast guys here that came up through the ECEA to Pro and ISDE level that did just fine on revalved Sachs shocks, mostly Huskys but GGs too. Then, and now, with a new crew of fast young guns, I see no one throwing $$ at Ohlins TTX stuff. In fact, I don't ever recall seeing a TTX shock on a bike here. We have some great tuners who get the perfectly adequate OEM shocks working for the rider in his application. Why some guys think they can buy a bike and ride it with stock generic valving, then call it trash when it doesn't work for them is beyond me. Do SG12 boots suck because your size 12 and bought size 10?
You are right, when revalving the shock it will be good for sure. I did this with all my bikes before and I loved the suspension. But
I had the stock Sachs on my 07 and now I have the stock Ohlins888 on my 11Gasser. I just call the stock sachs shock trash, not a modified. The difference is very big. On the Sachs you did not even felt if the valves for the damping where open or closed. On the Ohlins I can adjust it from super soft for Trail riding, to very hard for MX racing. I love the combination of the Ohlins and the 48mm Zockes. I rode on my old gasser also a Reiger (dutch high class suspension) shock and the Ohlins is smilar as that one.
Fact is when doing a revaling with customized setup every suspension will be great for the owner.
I would spend the money for the Ohlins, but this is only my opinion. I don't want to blame somebody.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Do SG12 boots suck because your size 12 and bought size 10?
Ooh, I like that!
Old 05-23-2012, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis74 View Post
You are right, when revalving the shock it will be good for sure. I did this with all my bikes before and I loved the suspension. But
I had the stock Sachs on my 07 and now I have the stock Ohlins888 on my 11Gasser. I just call the stock sachs shock trash, not a modified. The difference is very big. On the Sachs you did not even felt if the valves for the damping where open or closed. On the Ohlins I can adjust it from super soft for Trail riding, to very hard for MX racing. I love the combination of the Ohlins and the 48mm Zockes. I rode on my old gasser also a Reiger (dutch high class suspension) shock and the Ohlins is smilar as that one.
Fact is when doing a revaling with customized setup every suspension will be great for the owner.
I would spend the money for the Ohlins, but this is only my opinion. I don't want to blame somebody.
I cannot provide my opinion on the Sachs but I have to agree with Elvis74, the 48mm Zokes and the Ohlins 888 are a great combination. I don't have them set up properly for my weight and they never stop to amaze me. The 888 eats everything I throw him.