Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:50 AM

Default Static Timing

Does anyone know how to set the static timing on the 2 stroke gas gas (05 EC300)? I can't find any reference marks on the engine, or the stator backing plate.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:13 PM

If you have the larger 2K-3 ignition, the stator has an insert with a single hole in one of the slots to fix the timing. This can be seen in the photo I posted in the DC conversion thread. If you have a 2K-2, the M5 holes in the cases for the 2K-3 will be unused. The upper hole will be visible. If an M5 cap screw and 12mm OD flat washer is snugged down in this hole, the stator plate can then be rotated until it contacts the edge of the washer. The 2K-2stator plate bolts should then be just off center in the slots. This works out well on the 250 and I think the timing for the 300 is the same.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Banned

I set mine at 1.5 mm b.t.d.c.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:45 PM

widebear,

How are you referancing the trigger magnet strip position to the trigger coil ? It must be in a manual somewhere for a bike using this ignition. Everything I've done was based on a 1mm BTDC stock timing, but I have never verified it.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Banned

Glen. If I remember correctly? Using 1.5 mm btdc as a some what standard but arbitrary figure for modern 250cc 2 strokes. I set the piston to this position. I then i noted the locations of the p.u. and magnetic strip relative to each other as set by the factory and marked the stator plate and the case with punch marks , stock 3k prior to removal,Then with the 2k stator I indexed the pu and magnet to the same relationship as previous.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:58 PM

I looked at the trigger strip/coil with a timing light, but the ignition seems to advance so fast off idle I could not trust the referance. You would need to trigger a strobe off the pick-up signal. My last job I had exactly what I would need.

Your method is logical and sound. I do however have an '03 spec sheet Kent A sent me from Sweden that states the spec is 1mm BTDC. If I was real ambitious, I could do the same with my 2K-3 that has the insert to fix the timing. What I will do is measure the insert if you like.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Banned

Maybee we could add stuff like this to a F&Q topic along with things like piston weights, stock comp and the likes. Ive got a super accurate triple beam scale I,m going to start documenting some stuff.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:13 PM

Just finished up the install of an Electrex 190 watt, 3 phase stator, with a modified Trail Tech KTM flywheel (required considerable machining). Was able to set the timing using a timing light, while I turned the crankshaft @ 400 rpm with an air drill (while the spark plug was grounded). Happened to have the head off for RB squish machining, so was able to accurately determine the piston location. This worked very well and the RPM should be well below any electronic ignition advance creating an issue. Checked the timing on the factory setup and found it firing very close to TDC. Now setup to 1.25mm BTDC. Installing HID lighting, as 1/3 of my riding is at night and the stock setup just won't cut it. This all for about $50 more than the 2k-3 ignition from GasGas.