Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:18 PM

Default Gear Selector Shaft Bent?

I finally worked out why I couldn't get my gear shifter in quite the right place - the selector shaft seems to be pointing down slightly!

Surely it can't be bent? It looks like pretty substantial steel and I would expect the shifter or the case to break if it received a hit big enough to bend the shaft? Thoughts?

I assume I'll need to completely strip the engine to fix this?
As it all appears to be working with no oil leaks I'm thinking I may as well do this season then do a complete overhaul. If I do a complete rebuild is there anything that should be automatically changed on the bottom end or is it a case of just checking for wear. Although with the sparse information in Gas Gas manuals how do you know if something's worn?
Old 03-25-2009, 04:46 PM

Does it look something like this?

or this?

It surprised me too, that the shaft bent without breaking the
lever or the cases. I did not seem to leak oil either.
It can be replaced without splitting the cases, or so I am told.
SmackOver Motorsports did the repairs for me.
Good luck, Jeff so. Cal.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:58 PM

I have bent one shaft and broke the weld on another. To replace the bent one you will need to cut it off flush with the case. The clutch side cover and clutch basket will need to be removed to get at the shaft. The tricky part with the bend is all the bend must be cut off or you will have to push the bend through the hole in the rear of the cases. Splitting the cases cannot be done untill the bent shaft is removed. If you are going to keep the bike I would replace the main bearings, crank bearings, tranny bearings, gaskets seals etc.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:07 AM

Wow - Mine isn't bent that much!!

Looking at the parts fiche it looks like there is a separate bush and oil seal where the shaft passes through the case so I reckon it should not need cutting to remove as mine isn't that bent. It's just enough so that when the shifter is in the ideal position it hits the frame selecting first which means I sometimes can't select first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEB
Splitting the cases cannot be done untill the bent shaft is removed.
Does that mean if mine will push through I can change it without removing the engine and splitting? I just have to remove the clutch basket?
Old 03-26-2009, 11:52 AM

Yes, it should slide right through if straight enough. The oil seal can be changed from the outside as well. When you get the new shaft assembly, take the time to inspect the welded on stamped piece for burrs and irregularites that can cause the sliding "scorpion" to hang up. Run a fine file on all the sharp edges of both parts.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:05 PM

If you can see the bend it will not push out. Splitting the cases would come after removing the shaft. If you can get it out no need to split them unless you are servicing something in the bottom end.