Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default spewing rear brake

I am slowly but surely getting my '07 300E set up for the enduro season, with the help of the members of this board & my friendly local GG dealer. my latest issue is this:

my rear brake gets hot & fades. I flushed & refilled it, no help. my dealer put a rebuild kit in the M/C & that helped, but I noticed yesterday a little fading & there was fluid spewed out of the slave cylinder, & the cap on the refill nipple had blown off. I'll check into rebuilding that, too, just to remove another variable.

I'm going to lower the pedal as far as it will go to keep my foot off it as much as possible, & try to remember to stay off, etc. etc., but I've never had this problem on another bike.

beyond that, is this a common problem? has anyone tried any fixes for it?what about 1 of those cooler/radiator things made for the slave cylinder on the Honda CRF?

Old 01-14-2008, 11:42 AM

It is notr that hard to boil a rear brake, but it should never pop the cap off the bleed nipple and drool all over. I would guess it didn't get tightened enough after replacing the fluid. Perhaps to keep things cooler you could swap out the master for an older one with a remote resevoir, I think they stay cooler. I also find that the pedal on my 02 rides pretty high with my pegs in the low postion.

Paul B
Old 01-14-2008, 11:47 AM

Mine had air in it when new and was a PIA to bleed. I like a low pedal and always set my bikes up that way. Cut a few mm off the MC piston stud to allow adjusting the pedal lower without it hitting the pedal in the clevis.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:04 PM

I would check the brake is not dragging when you are riding or are you just !!! fast?

Only time my brake gets anywhere near hot is when my KTM dragged the brake 'cos I had it adjusted the pedal couldn't move up enough to let expending fluid back into the reservior when teh brake was not in use.

Also a vented (or more vented) disk will stay cooler (at the expense of brake pads)
'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)
Old 01-15-2008, 08:44 AM

thanks for the advice.

the nipple is tight; I can't tell where the fluid got out, but it definitely did.

I think the key is to get the pedal lower, & since that's free, I think I'll try that next. I've put on the low pegs & that I am sure has made it worse. I think I'll also take GMP's advice & grind off a few mm of the piston stud & try that--I'm always looking for a good excuse to fire up the grinder anyway. I'll post back as things develop.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stay_upright View Post

Only time my brake gets anywhere near hot is when my KTM dragged the brake 'cos I had it adjusted the pedal couldn't move up enough to let expending fluid back into the reservior when teh brake was not in use.
You too - I've been there.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:39 PM

OK, here's the latest: I took off the pedal & caliper to remove the piston stud & grind a little off the top so that I would not have to mess with cleaning up the threads, as I would if grinding on the bottom. problem: I couldn't figure out how to remove the stud! I'm used to KTMs, where the stud just falls out. what's the secret?
Old 01-17-2008, 08:12 AM

Just run a nut up the stud, cut about 5mm off, and run it back off. The boot is a tight fit in the MC.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:55 AM

thanks, Glenn, I will do that. sure would be easier if they'd put a height adjuster on the pedal. if you Gofasters guys see this, you might mention it to them in Spain....
Old 01-17-2008, 10:05 AM

The pre '04 frames had an adjuster. It got in the way of the newer frame guards so they eliminated it. Actually it is not needed as the bottom of the clevis pulls the pedal down as it is adjusted up the MC rod. You just have to shorten the rod, but you had to do the same thing on the older bikes anyway.