Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Other...

Old 08-27-2006, 09:45 PM

Arrow 79 Miles at Heppner OR

The title should have been "monkey-butt 79"

I need to learn all I can about getting a softer seat for my 05 EC 250.

We went 25 miles on Friday, 33 miles on Saturday and 21 miles on Sunday morning.

It looks like I used about 3.5 to 4 gallons of gas for the whole 79 miles.

I went with some friends who were on 4WD quads. Their average speed must have been about 15 MPH, but I probably did more like 20 or 25 MPH. It was very dry, dusty and hot, but the ride was a total cake-walk because of the slow speeds numerous breaks and easy trails. There are a few single track trails at Heppner OR that a bike could easily go on, but the place is dominated by quads. We did see some deer and a flock of turkeys.

Over all a very good (albeit slow) weekend.

I will need a thicker foam seat-pad if I go again. The seat was my main limiting factor. These people like to just amble along at a slow speed hoping to see some animals. I enjoyed the scenery, and the animals too, but the seat time was a reall killer. I rode the second half of each run on each day standing up. I saw a post a while back about "big seatfoam", and thought it was really ugly and kinda dumb, butt now I understand .

Where can I get a big fluffy comfy seat for my 2005 GG EC 250 ??

Old 08-28-2006, 11:28 AM

Default " Monkey Butt 79"

Boy do I agree with U about these seats. Mine's a fse450 '05. I used to think Ktm had the hardest seats. No way!
I have a cheaper remedy for U that works great! In July I went on a 140 mile dualsport meet on my fse450. We did 1/3 single track and the rest forest service,jeep trails and private landowner skidroad/dozer trail type stuff. We had one break about in the middle to gas up and refresh for awhile. I was worried before I went so I tried on an old pair of mountain bike 6 panel shorts that have the synthetic chamois crotch pad to eliminate "Monkey Butt". It was amazing! I coulda kept riding! No pain at all! I wore the Thor over the boot Ride Pants that day and they had plenty of room inside with no restrictions.
Evs has the "Ultimate" with hip and thigh padding, and "Ride Plus Short" that are plain. They look like they breathe really well and Evs states " Synthetic chamois crotch pad virtually eliminates "Monkey Butt".
I like the hard seat 'cause I can move forward and backwards quickly. I might be wrong but I would think with a softer seat, U would sink down a bit, making it a little harder to move around quickly.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1

Last edited by flybars; 09-11-2006 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:35 PM

Default biker shorts lack "support"

I tried them so-called 'biker shorts' one time , but whenever I stood up, my gonies would drop way down & between , and then I would squash my 'stuff' when I tried to sit back down.

I like the idea in theory, but in practice it didnt work out.

Its been a few years. Maybe things have changed. Ill look into it.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:43 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

These may help:
http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.j..._group_id=4367
Old 08-29-2006, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

When I first got my bike, the stock seat and smooth cover caused me to get monkey butt almost every ride. The seat was too soft, you sunk in and it didn't provide support when transitioning the bike from lean to straightup.

About a year ago, I upgraded to the taller seat foam (medium/firm?) to help my knee pain. I had to get the Guts Racing "gripper" cover for the taller foam. I was worried that the monkey butt would get worse. Well, I have not had any issues with this new seat. I believe the firmer foam and gripper cover keeps you planted better. I was shocked... my intuition thought that softer and smoother seat would be better, actually it was just the opposite!
Old 08-30-2006, 07:48 PM

Question Um... ?

Um...

I need "support", or things will get ugly.

Would I just get a Jock-strap ??

Exactly WHAT or HOW are these Riding Pants worn ???
Old 09-11-2006, 06:44 PM

Default 79 miles at Heppner OR

Some people wear underwear under them. Most don't. They breathe well and are comfortable. I don't see how your nad's could possibly slide around in them either. They are stretchy and very tight. They have a gripper hem that keeps the short from hiking up your leg too. They are inexpensive and Evs, Moose, and a bunch others carry their own versions. I have very hot summers over here, so I'll probly get the Evs or Moose vented. By the way, I've noticed that the mountain bike versions are much more expensive! I'm sure these will go up in price too once they catch on. Try a pair, I'll bet U like 'em. Let us know. Bob
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 09-15-2006, 08:01 AM

OK

I did wear some kind of "shorts" that were supposed to be comfortable for riding, but they were really terrable. I wore them for all of ten minits and had to get rid of them. I think the crotch was too low and that provided a pocket between, rather than holding everything forward and out of the way.

I just hate to spend more money on another ten minit nightmare.