Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:16 AM

Default It doesn't fit....

I've just about finished rebuilding my 05 300 after a year of non-use due to a crash and broken wrist.

I can't help wishing it was a KTM so the bits actually fit together properly I'm getting fed up as it takes a lot of time and bodges to get it together though i do love the motor, suspension and brakes so it's worth it but I didn't feel it this weekend.

Here's what didn't fit:

Moose replacement bearings are loose in the swingarm - gives 1-2mm play with new bearings!

Rad panels (Polisport) are no-where close to fitting on the bike and it's made worse with rad guards on. The fit is terrible

The Hunt graphics sticker for the front of the fender is way way too wide and the wrong shape - some serious cutting with scissors was necessary.

The Hunt sticker for the fender has no holes for the two mounting bolts - I will have to drill the sticker once set.

The Hunt stickers for the side of the rear fenter are too wide at the end - scissors again....

The Hunt sticker for the LH fork boot has no cut out for the cable mount at the top - scissors again...

The cycra handguards mounting hole for the mount which fits onto the bars is 2" (yes 2 inches) away from where it should be. Out comes the 8mm drill! Yes I phoned them - that's the way they are I have all the right bits for my protapers.

That's about it for now but it's turned what should be a 5 hour job into a 20+ hour job

'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)

Old 03-03-2008, 08:17 AM

That sounds like aftermarket part problems not GG OEM problems.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
That sounds like aftermarket part problems not GG OEM problems.
Ditto!
Old 03-03-2008, 09:31 AM

Yes most the parts are aftermarket I seem to recall the original panels (black) were OE and they didn't fit either so I'm guessing the polisports are direct copies (that dont fit either).

Cycra and Hunt Graphics are to blame for te rest - it just all seems to happen at once and it gets infuriating when nothing fits or works as it's supposed to. I don't mind working on the bike but it's hard with one hand tied behind my back.
'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)
Old 03-03-2008, 12:26 PM

I have a '05 EC300 and all the stock parts fit great. Way better than my '00 EC300.

First off, the moose bearings are horrible. Live and learn. The handguards are not specific to GasGas and you should expect to do some bending and possible drilling depending on your handlebar bend. As for your graphics, just consider them custom. I have trimmed every sey of aftermarket graphics I purchased with exception of those from Graphix MX, but all I purchased was the shrouds.

Mike Baxter
Old 03-03-2008, 07:53 PM

The moose bearings fit like that in my ktm too.. go with the right parts and you'll be happier!
Old 03-03-2008, 08:39 PM

Probably repackaged junk from China. There is a reason the OEM bearings are full needle (no cage) bearings, they are rated for a higher load. Buy OEM or a known high quality part from a bearing supplier.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:55 PM

I replaced all the plastics and graphics after I bought my new-to-me '03 KDX.

I wuz cuttin' and Dremeling to beat the band.