Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:53 PM

Default HELP! - bleeding hydraulic clutch

Okay, Saturday I re-installed my rekluse clutch but had one issue. My dad accidentally pumped the clutch while I had things disassembled - pushed the throw-out rod quite a ways out. Installed rekluse, but it wouldn't engage as the throw-out rod was pushed out. Couldn't pull in the clutch lever either as there was too much pressure. I cracked the bleeder on the slave cylinder, but must have got air in the line as I now have no feel at the lever. Never bled a hydraulic clutch before - is it the same as a brake? I will have to pull the slave cylinder off the bike as actuating the clutch override on a rekluse with the engine shutoff is a big nono. Tips? Thanks,

Steve

Old 09-29-2008, 07:13 PM

I might be able to help. Just did mine this weekend. First you need DOT4 fluid, a syringe that fits into the bleeder valve, and your 7m.
1. Remove top cap, fill up about 3 quarters to top
2. fill your syringe up with fluid
3. Crack open bleeder valve
4. shoot fulid into valve (watch out you might have fluid shooting up at you at the lever
5. close valve
6. repeat if needed but i doubt it
7. then bleed your clutch just like a brake
8. pump lever 10 or 15 times, crack open bleeder
keep doing that till you have preasure.

Throught this time make sure the fluid is topped up or eles you will just put air back into the system.

Hope this helps.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 09-30-2008, 10:44 PM

I was in the same boat tonite. Except instead of "Dad," it was me.

I put everything together (except the clutch cover because I wanted to see it actuate), and then bled the clutch as normal. I like to do the syringe on the nipple trick because I find that bleeding at the lever doesn't get all the bubbles.

I pumped the lever and began to fill the syringe with amber (a bit toasted) old brake fluid. Then I removed the syringe, filled it full of new brake fluid (I think I used DOT3 like my Kawi) and pumped the good stuff up the nipple into the master cylinder -- using a turkey baster to remove the fluid as the reservoir was filled. Copious amounts of teeny bubbles were pushed up.

I refilled the reservoir, snugged everything up, pumped up the clutch slave cylinder and looked at my clutch plate move in and out (a few milimeters).

I've bolted on the clutch cover and am now dealing with that silly-assed Gasser oil fill hole. I've tipped the bike on its side and am trying to find a funnel thin enough to fit in the hole.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:47 PM

I have a funnle that works great. Granted i do have to lay the bike over to fill it just like you.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 10-01-2008, 12:02 AM

Eh. I just put some heat shrink on the end of a sort of thin funnel. It actually "screws" in.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:29 AM

Thanks for the tips guys. Mine is an 07 so it needs mineral oil instead of DOT fluid. I'll try bleeding the system tomorrow, hopefully all goes well.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
I was in the same boat tonite. Except instead of "Dad," it was me.

I put everything together (except the clutch cover because I wanted to see it actuate), and then bled the clutch as normal. I like to do the syringe on the nipple trick because I find that bleeding at the lever doesn't get all the bubbles.

I pumped the lever and began to fill the syringe with amber (a bit toasted) old brake fluid. Then I removed the syringe, filled it full of new brake fluid (I think I used DOT3 like my Kawi) and pumped the good stuff up the nipple into the master cylinder -- using a turkey baster to remove the fluid as the reservoir was filled. Copious amounts of teeny bubbles were pushed up.

I refilled the reservoir, snugged everything up, pumped up the clutch slave cylinder and looked at my clutch plate move in and out (a few milimeters).

I've bolted on the clutch cover and am now dealing with that silly-assed Gasser oil fill hole. I've tipped the bike on its side and am trying to find a funnel thin enough to fit in the hole.
I found an easy solution, put a 1 of those rubber tappered thing on the end of throttle housing on the end of a funnel, perfect