Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Off Road Racer's Corner

Off Road Racer's Corner ISDE, Enduro, Hare Scrambles, etc.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:32 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Isde 2010

I'll be making a run at the ISDE in 2010. It's never too early to declare or prepare. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have an entourage that will be supporting me. I will be bringing my oldest son, my good friend Jack as a chase rider, and for moral support, and my massage therapist, for obvious reasons. I'll almost certainly be riding two stroke.

Is there anyone here who has ridden, or knows someone who has ridden on the Mexico team?

OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs

Old 11-20-2008, 09:26 AM

Roost,

Good luck in your fund raising events.
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 11-20-2008, 12:38 PM

Speedy Mechanic will be able to tell you all you need to know. You should run tire balls for sure.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 11-20-2008, 04:55 PM

Wow, I've just put the feelers out, but some of my old sponsors are already hopping on board.
I just secured Dunlop tires. This is a huge deal, tires are a big expense.

Things I will need to wrap up (plenty of time here) are: I'll need my suspension revalved, and serviced throughout the year occasionally, I'm sure Les can help me, but I'll have to ask.

I need to decide which bike to ride. Honestly the field is very narrow. I'm really torn between the GG 300 and the new Husky 300. I'll honestly probably need two bikes, one for my chase rider, so he'll have the same stuff in case I break something. (Ahh, yes, a chase rider, I'll have incredible support).
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 11-20-2008, 05:57 PM

You better start reading the rules on the ISDE.

Number 1: No outside support. You are only allowed to swap certain parts and can only receive parts, fuel, etc at designated checkpoints and the work area. No chase rider needed (though a lot of cheating riders use them, it's very disappointing and takes away from the accomplishment of racing the ISDE). This is supposed to be a test of rider and machine and it is up to the rider to decide what spares they carry with them (recommend brake pedal, shifter, clutch lever, bolts, quick steel, zip ties, plus tools) and ride fast yet preserve bike and body (I need to work on all three).

I'll write more this evening.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:14 AM
Site Sponsor

roostafish

Traditionally your first objective is to quaify via the US ISDE Qualifier series. Normally there is room for roughly 34 riders on the US Team of which 6 riders are for the Trophy Team, 4 riders are for Junior Team, 3 riders are for the Women's Team and another 3 riders are for the Senior Team. That leaves 18 riders for the E-1, E-2 and E-3 class Club Team's (6 riders per class.)

I would suspect that next year the number of club riders allowed would increase and could be as high as 10 per class or 30 club riders total but there is no guarantee of that.

If you qualify you don't need any chase riders as the US check support is second to no other team at Six Days and all of your support needs, within the rules at least, are taken care of.

SpeedyManiac is right your Six Days expierence will not be the same if you rely on "cheating." In fact you will be humbled by the rest of the world class Club riders there to the point that you'll be embarrassed if you bring your own chase rider.

There probably is a place for your "chase rider" friend during the Qualifier series as he could ride in your class (and hopefully on your same minute) and help out if you run into difficulties.

If you're really serious about what to expect in Mexico in 2010 plan a trip there next July for the Two-Day World Enduro Round that will be used as a trial run for organizers.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist
Old 11-21-2008, 10:02 AM

Believe me, I've obsessed over the ISDE before.

I am familiar with the qualifying. I've done this before. Back then, chase riders were part of the deal. It wasn't cheating, it was simply having someone meet you at checks with water, food, and having a bike with spare parts available, and the well supported riders had them, the trophy team riders for sure. Maybe we can't do that now. I realize you cannot swap certain parts, and that those parts are marked when you impound your bike. Don't get too uptite about me cheating, because I won't. I know exactly what this race is all about, and I intend to follow the rules and have an honorable race.

I am in top physical condition, I am at around 6% body fat, and have a grueling conditioning routing. My life focus running up to this race will be mental and physical preparation. I am not taking this lightly. Though I may decide to ride on the Mexico team rather than spend the thousands of dollars it will take to qualify here.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 11-29-2008, 04:13 PM

I defer to Steve on all things ISDE.... Chase riding by the US Team has out of the picture for quite some time. I believe two experienced pre-riders to inspect tests and trails before the first day is the extent of non-competitive riders for the US Team. Chase riding is extremely dangerous, as the collision between a Dutch chase rider and a car in Poland '05 point out. Tragically this accident killed the rider and 2 occupants of the car. There was a call for all chase riding to cease after this event, but it continues. I'm sure Steve looking out for Gas Gas riders and the whole US support system will keep your back covered in Mexico.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:33 AM

Forget the chase rider. Obviously things have changed. My friend will be there for me, and can set out my tires and stuff and guide me when needed. It'll be less expensive that way anyway. I just remember what a huge advantage those guys seemed to have. Besides talent, they had moral support, and just the comfort of those chase riders.

The cool thing is we can drive there! No getting your bike to San Fancisco, no waiting for the shipping container, wondering if you were going to have time to even touch your bike before impound.

Besides, there's lots to see in Mexico on the way down.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 12-08-2008, 11:32 AM

Roost,

Not sure if you have seen this yet, more on your ISDE quest:

http://www.acerbis.it/moto/index.php...t=&language=en
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals