Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 03-19-2009, 12:12 PM

Default Late model GG Suspension Review

A local dealer is beginning to sell an unusual number of Gassers recently (three). I've gotten a few questions bounced my way but with all the suspension component changes recently (I have an 05 and theirs are 08/09 models with an 09 EC250 Racing possibly in the mix), my knowledge base is lacking.

Can y'all offer up your listing of what is available currently? My bike comes with the Zokes/Ohlins. One of the new one comes with Zokes/Sachs, another with Sachs/Sachs, etc, etc. Just a bit too much for me to keep up with.

I await your efforts to turn me into a GG suspension sales expert.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:25 PM

07 - Zokes front, ohlins rear standard. Racing bikes came with Ohlins fork and shock.

08 - Zokes front, sachs rear standard. Racing bikes came with Ohlins shock and possibly fork.

09 - Sachs front and back is standard. Racing is sachs/sachs I believe. Nambotin replica comes with Ohlins shock.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:00 PM

Some of the 07's came with Zokes front and Sachs rear. Mine did.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:46 PM

That was quick. Okay, let's move on to specifics.

How do these function (compared with themselves or other makes)?

What about the 45mm vs the 47(?)mm vs the 50mm?

Sachs vs Zoke forks?

Free-association and stream-of-consciousness thought encouraged.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:45 PM

Forks:
I've ridden an 01 with 43mm WPs stock and modified. Modified they were decent, but still not great. My 07 has Ohlins 48mm forks. I upped the spring rate from stock and it's good, but a little harsh on the small stuff. I have some new compression valve springs coming to soften up the initial part of the stroke. The ohlins forks are good, but nothing special.

The 09 bike I rode at the ISDE had Sachs 48mm forks. These suckers were awesome. I had no issues spending 6 days with this bike. The suspension was so good on that 09 I strongly considered buying one, but unfortunately my bank account vetoed that idea. I will have a new bike in 2010 hopefully with the Sachs suspension.

Shock:
Ridden a few different ohlins shocks and the sachs shock. All were good though again I think the sachs was my favorite. I'm not overly sensitive to the back end of the bike so honestly any of the shocks I've tried have been just fine.

So, personally I think the sachs suspension is the best thing going. Stock, the valving and spring rates on the 09 ISDE bikes was perfect for me. I set the sag and rode the bike for 6 days straight. Didn't even adjust a clicker.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:12 AM

Speedy Maniac,
would it be possible that u have the rear sachs settings?
Old 03-20-2009, 10:13 AM

Not a clue. I literally showed up, set the sag, added a few other parts (BRP triple clamp & SUB mount, steering damper, flexx bars, LTR PV cover) and then rode the bike for 6 days. Didn't even touch the clickers.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:43 AM

My Ohlins forks are awesome. I upped the spring rate as well and encountered a little hashness as well. I installed 1 of the stock springs and that made it near perfect for the spring rate. I weigh 165 without gear. I also ordered the optional compression valves with high speed adjustment from Ohlins. I'm very happy with the results. Rocks become pillows and the bike goes where I point it.

I gotta ride a Gasser with the Sachs suspension.

2005 GasGas EC300 (Ohlins front and rear)
2007 Yamaha FZ1
2003 Pampera 280(hers)
Old 03-20-2009, 03:06 PM

While we're on the subject, anyone know what spring rate comes stock on an '08 EC300, 45mm 'Zokes and Sachs rear?
Old 03-22-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyManiac View Post
The 09 bike I rode at the ISDE had Sachs 48mm forks. These suckers were awesome. I had no issues spending 6 days with this bike. The suspension was so good on that 09 I strongly considered buying one, but unfortunately my bank account vetoed that idea. I will have a new bike in 2010 hopefully with the Sachs suspension.

So, personally I think the sachs suspension is the best thing going. Stock, the valving and spring rates on the 09 ISDE bikes was perfect for me. I set the sag and rode the bike for 6 days straight. Didn't even adjust a clicker.
Maybe the ISDE bike had modified Sachs forks ?.

The standard ones that come with the enduro bikes (non 'racing' models) over here in Europe are way too harsh for the average rider. Several of my customers have since sold their 09 bikes and gone back to KTM because they are unhappy with the forks on rough rocky terrain. This is despite many oil grade changes, air gap adjustments and clicker adjustments on their part (and on mine).

On my own bike, a 09 EC300, I have revalved the compression stack and made it better but I would still prefer the 45mm zokes up front for Irish terrain.

The 'Racing' suspension seems to be better, but only, it seems, in the hands of expert riders. The Marzocchi forks suited the average rider better as they had a plusher set-up straight from the crate.

I think that the move to Sachs forks was/is a mistake for GG, and one that will cost them several customers. The sachs shock is quite good though.

Just my 2 cents