Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:03 AM

Talking GG needs help in Tennessee

Gas Gas has 5 listed dealers in Tennessee but two are trials dealers and the 3 others do not promote the brand at all. There may not be an 08 or 09 bike on the showroom floor anywhere in the state. Something needs to be done. I want to help but I'm not sure how to go about it. I, like most of you, rely on dedicated dealers like GoFasters, Smackover Motrorsports, and Road Track & Trail to handle my GG needs over the phone. Two of the those three dealers are no longer in business and they are sadly missed so what can we do to encourage new dealers to take on and promote the brand closer to home?
Here's my idea - We brainstorm ways to get more people interested in these bikes. I'll start the process - one idea that I like is billboards. I would be willing to put up a couple of small billboards if I could get the pictures donated. Anyone own any property along interstate 40?

Old 04-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I have an idea, we could all buy an extra Gas Gas and lend it out to people. There are a few more running around here because I let people test ride mine. Heck, I bought mine from test riding one back in '97 while I was riding a Husky. That test ride, coupled with a dealer nearby put me on a GG 200 for my next bike.

I'm afraid we're the best advertising they've got in the U.S.

If J-Dub does well this year, it should also open some eyes. Also, Dirt Bike just did a 300 "shootout." With the KTM, GG, and Husqvarna. They said good things about all the bikes. In fact, I read nothing negative into the article at all. I would guess good write ups in the magazines help sales, and this one should help.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 04-20-2009, 11:33 AM

Call Rich at Smith's Powersports in PA or Jay Hall at Hall's Cycle in IL. Both have helped me out a bunch and always know the part I need even if I don't and usually have it in stock.

Good GasGas Dealers are out there, but you have to support them so they stick around.

2003 Gas Gas 250 EC
Southern Ohio
Old 04-20-2009, 03:29 PM

Thumbs up

Test rides are for sure the most effective thing we can do to win people over to GG. Perhaps the factory and /or dealers could sponsor individual "promoters" the way they do racers. These "promoters" could offer test rides at organized events in return for discounts on GG equipment and parts. The test rides could include filling out a survey sheet and providing contact data so dealers could follow up with brochures or phone calls.

In response to "flopper12" I've heard very good things about Smith's and Hall's and I encourage everyone to support the good dealers whether they be in state or out of state. I just believe for the long range good of the GasGas brand we must increase the numbers of those dedicated dealers who actively promote these wonderful Spanish bikes. I have a GG dealer that is only 25 miles away but the last new GG they had on the floor was an 06 model. They don't get my business. I'm going to do my part to find someone local who will take on these bikes, advertise them, stock parts, and give some support to local racers.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:16 PM

We have a great dealer in Albany Oregon, and I'd love to do more business with him, but my bike never needs anything! Maybe I should rephrase that, I'd love to buy a new bike from him every year, but I'm not rich.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 04-20-2009, 06:20 PM

I think you may be asking too much from your dealers, especially given the poor economy. If you want to blame someone for lethargic sales, blame GasGas. Great at building bikes, not so great at marketing them-at least in the U.S.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:26 PM

I agree with Thelonious. There is so little mark up in these bikes, it's really got to be passion that keeps you in the Gas Gas business. A couple of fast factory riders in the U.S. and a couple of raving magazine articles would sell the heck out of Gas Gas bikes. Just look at Husaberg, they're doing great, and don't have a big name factory guy, just a hot new design, and a few very favourable magazine articles.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 04-20-2009, 06:54 PM

Dave's (KTM) Sportcycles in Maryville, TN sure tries pretty hard to promote those bikes. He tries to keep one or two on the floor and still has a hard time moving them. He also adds light kits and soft seats to the bikes before they leave. How many dealers do that? He also races the brand, after being a KTM dealer for many, many years. He has a sweet 2007 250 MC in there now he's trying to move, with the light kit and seat. He will loose well over $1k before all is said and done.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:36 PM

We're starting to get a little off topic here. This thread was started as a way to brainstorm ideas that we as individuals can use to help dedicated GasGAS dealers to promote these bikes. Maybe someone near Maryville,TN could help Dave (Cyclesport KTM) get a website up. Maybe someone in west Tennessee could help Sportcycle USA modify their website so people who use it would know they sell something other than KTM and Husenberg. http://www.cyclesportusa.com/
Old 04-20-2009, 10:10 PM

I believe Gas Gas Paciifc (a site Sponsor) here in Western Canada is having a Demo Day this coming weekend. That seems to be a good way to get the brand in the hands of potential buyers.

2009-04-17 - Gas Gas demo rides available
Sat. Apr. 25 Cat Lake (Squamish, BC)
Trials and Enduro models available)

Another thought; KTM has an implicit "brand recognition" because all of their bikes are orange. You see an orange bike and you assume it's a KTM. You see someone win a race on an orange bike, you assume he won on a KTM. Perhaps GasGas should just do something as simple a stick with a single, distinct colour for all models for all future years? "What, you mean your blue bike isn't a Yamaha?"

What's a good colour that's now not already associated with a brand? Red's Honda. Green's Kawi, Blue's Yamy, Yellow's Suzuki. Folks seem to like the recent white of the ISDE bikes.

Dale