Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Default My response time and my future...

Hi All,
I actually don't own a gasgas any more. I had open heart surgery ten months ago. I have other priorities in my life and my time is very valuable to me. And I have found that folks really don't give much value to stuff that I do for them for "free", banner ads - website development for dealers, free banner ads for dealers, etc. (this makes sense when you think about it - they don't understand the problem and how much time it takes me...)

That being said. I have alot of friends here built up over the years and I don't want this site to be passed to a commercial entity (dealer or importer) where the communication medium is "owned" by someone other than the entire community....

I spent alot of time over the last year enhancing the software and hardware for this site. But now it's time for me to step away and let it run on "auto pilot" for a bit. I have quit accepting donations - Frankly, I don't want to owe anyone if I decide to give it up and decide to pull the plug or pass it off to someone else (that may distort it in ways I wouldn't like..)

So, the new linux web server that everyone here very graciously pitched in for is running fine "in my garage" and I spend time every day filtering new members (to keep out spammers) and backing up the site etc. But, if you want anything else that is an "enhancement", it's on the back burner. And I will only check new registrations once per day or once per weekend. So new users might not see a response from me for a day or two, etc.

And if anyone wants to bitch about how something is done here or acts up and wastes any time for myself or any of the other moderators - my patience for it will be near zero...

So if you ask me a question and wonder why I don't respond quickly - I am out ridin'...

thanks,
jeff

Old 03-04-2011, 05:31 PM

Thanks for all you do for this community Jeff. I didn't realize you had health issues and hope that you are on the mend.

Is "out ridin'..." a figure of speech or do you have a new bike?
Old 03-04-2011, 06:18 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the update. Well said.

You've done a great service, and I think that most everyone who visits would agree. The problem with something that works well is that the accolades are usually late or non-existent.

With respect to free, "no" can sometimes be the hardest word to say in our language. I respect your decision to use it.

I know I've learned a great deal from this forum. Very rarely have I've ever seen any discourse which is not respectful of everyone else on this site. This seems to be a rarity on this world wide web. I am sure that those who respect this site will respect your decision as well.

Thanks again for all you've done. I know that your efforts have made my GG experience better than it would have been otherwise.

Enjoy your ridin'...

blitz

Last edited by blitz11; 03-04-2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-04-2011, 06:45 PM

This forum is one of the best ones I've ever been on. I get where you're coming from. I admin our local club forum and it can be a real black hole for time spent. It gets real tiring deleting spammer registrations day after day. Not to mention the spam emails and board cleanup work.

I've found it's best to keep things simple. The more MODs you do, the more you need to fix if there's ever a major problem. Sometimes I forget how I did a particular tweak and it can be a real head-scratcher figuring it out. It's too tedious to keep notes on everything.

You have my respect for a job well done.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

HI Jeff, and for anyone else who reads this.
First off I'd like to say I would be lost without this community. Over the past 5 years it really has taken up those empty gaps in my life and filled them with Gas Gas knowledge and fun.
I too have gained many, many friends over the years as a member of this forum. Some I've met face to face, some I have never seen, but still feel that connection.

What Jeff started here has grown into a great representation of the Gas Gas riders community. With the speed the member count is now rising, were approaching 3,000, I hope it will continue to be something I'm proud to be associated with and continues for a very long time.

I've gained so much from not only Jeff, who has helped me in so many different ways over the years, but also all of you! And to think this would have never been possible without all the hard work and time Jeff has dedicated to this forum, blows me away.

Thanks Jeff, let me know when your coming up and well go ride. In the mean time go ridin you deserve it!

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 03-04-2011, 07:13 PM

Jeff,

Thanks for everything that you do and have done. I am sure it is a thankless job just like putting on an enduro except more. I remember when we had talking smack and this one. Talking smack went away and this one carried on and grew. We are a close group of folks and you my friend will be missed.

Take Care & Happy Riding!
Robby
Old 03-04-2011, 07:22 PM

Many thanks. You've made an accomplishment, and that is something that some people will never do. I hope your health improves and I hope there is a new (or close to new) GasGas in your future. Best wishes, Jim.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:19 PM

Well I'm relatively new to the site and don't know you, but I have a bit of an understanding what it takes to host a forum. I agree it's often taken for granted or little understood what happens in the back end to maintain these services, so my hat goes off to you. I've been on several forums and I'm really impressed with this one so far, so hopefully that's worth something.

Here's hoping you good health and good riding!
Old 03-04-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Hi All,
I actually don't own a gasgas any more. I had open heart surgery ten months ago. I have other priorities in my life and my time is very valuable to me. And I have found that folks really don't give much value to stuff that I do for them for "free", banner ads - website development for dealers, free banner ads for dealers, etc. (this makes sense when you think about it - they don't understand the problem and how much time it takes me...)

That being said. I have alot of friends here built up over the years and I don't want this site to be passed to a commercial entity (dealer or importer) where the communication medium is "owned" by someone other than the entire community....

I spent alot of time over the last year enhancing the software and hardware for this site. But now it's time for me to step away and let it run on "auto pilot" for a bit. I have quit accepting donations - Frankly, I don't want to owe anyone if I decide to give it up and decide to pull the plug or pass it off to someone else (that may distort it in ways I wouldn't like..)

So, the new linux web server that everyone here very graciously pitched in for is running fine "in my garage" and I spend time every day filtering new members (to keep out spammers) and backing up the site etc. But, if you want anything else that is an "enhancement", it's on the back burner. And I will only check new registrations once per day or once per weekend. So new users might not see a response from me for a day or two, etc.

And if anyone wants to bitch about how something is done here or acts up and wastes any time for myself or any of the other moderators - my patience for it will be near zero...

So if you ask me a question and wonder why I don't respond quickly - I am out ridin'...

thanks,
jeff

Hi Jeff. First off, Thanks for you hard work keeping this site rolling smooth.

I am not 100% sure what you mean when you say that no one appreciates the banner ads or that other stuff? I know that I certainly do.

Best of luck with your future endeavours.

Scott Rocher
Old 03-04-2011, 11:09 PM

Jeff, I can't thank you enough for all the hard work U have done over the years. U will be sorely missed. U and the moderators have helped me so much over the past 5 years. I hope with the spare time U will have, that U can truly enjoy some great riding.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1