Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:07 PM

Default 11 nambotin vs 11 cervantes

hi all i was wondering this today because i spent the day on my buddies 250. has anyone tried both of them? or is there any owners of a cervantes on here that could give me there take on it over a stock or sixdays 250(ive ridden every gasser of the last 2 years except this one) id love to here some input

Old 03-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nambo-trev View Post
hi all i was wondering this today because i spent the day on my buddies 250. has anyone tried both of them? or is there any owners of a cervantes on here that could give me there take on it over a stock or sixdays 250(ive ridden every gasser of the last 2 years except this one) id love to here some input
Hey Trev,

Is your Nambo a 2011? For some reason I was thinking it was a 2010.

The 250 engine, flywheel etc etc etc is the same across the board. Differences are in plastics and bolt on parts.

Base - Ohlins 888 / Marzocchi 45mm shivers
Six Days - Ohlins 888 / Marzocchi 45mm shivers, some bolt on parts, bashy, rad frames, Renthal twinwalls
Race - Ohlins 888 / Marzocchi 48mm CC Shivers, Renthal twinwalls
Nambo - TTX Rear? (not sure for 2011) / Marzocchi 48mm CC Shivers, S3 Head silver insert.

Basically not a whole lot of difference apart from the suspension packages, stickers and some bling bits. The S3 head is the same volume as the stock so makes no difference really unless using a higher comp insert.

If you were happy with the engines power delivery of the 250 it will be the same across the board. Probably jetting and head mods will have a more profound difference than the models. As you'd be aware through owning a Nambo, the suspension package is where its at!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

PS. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the 250 vs 300 engine capacity as I'm about to make the downsize on my 2010 model.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:36 PM

your right i do have a 2010 nambo, i blew the engine up on it the second week i had it and got a stock ec300 as a backup from my dealer(our canadian distributor dave paid for a new motor for me! awesome dude). there is no way there is any comparison with the power delivery on the 2 and i guess the suspension goes without saying. i felt as though getting onto the base 300 that it felt very bigginner ish in the sense that it was super easy to ride(less the friggin stock fork) and really easy to climb with because there wasnt as much power to the wheel(definetly what i felt). Saying all that the reason i switched to gasgas was a 4 hour ride on my buddies 2010 250 sixdays. it was a super quick turner and the BIGGEST thing for me is it just feels so much smaller and lighter. i know its not but rotating mass must play some roll because it sure feels that way. move forward to 2011 and my riding crew added a 250 and 300 sixdays. Same thing again(except the 45 forks are really really bad in my opinion, i would take the stock sachs over the zokes anyday) the 250 just feels so small. the thing that got me on this dare i say it was riding my buddies ktm 250 today. i forgot how small they feel and how it just seems like less of a handful handling wise. i really miss the right there power of the 300 in second but love the scream out of the 250 when you get er going. i just wanted to know if the cervantes would dish out more jam than the stocker because i know my nambo walks on a base 300 from my year. why were you thinking of moving down to a 250?
Old 03-15-2012, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

I'm moving to a 250 top end for all the reasons you stated. I was going to buy a 2012 200R for a change from the 300 (or to compliment it) however GG Australia can't give me a date that they'll arrive and they're not on the next shipment so I decided to treat my 2010 EC300R to some new springs, TTX forks and an S3 250 R top end.

Interesting on your opinions between the 300's. I was under the impression they were all the same engine other than the head. I wonder if they have something else done with the cases? Are you sure both 300's were running the same gearing and jetting etc.

I can easily transform my 300 from a mild trail bike into a pounding mxer.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:52 PM

yup same jetting and gearing didnt look into anything else cause i only had the bike for a couple weeks(the base model). what are your thoughts of the new s3 250 top end?
Old 03-15-2012, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

Very strange indeed. You'd really have to measure up the squish tolerances to be sure aswell. I wonder if they pick the tighter toleranced parts for the nambos over the stockers?? I tried searching for more info on it but nothing much coming up. How many different 300's have you ridden? Ever tried anyone elses with an S3 head?

No comment on the 250 yet. Its still in the mail and I'm not going to do the top end, or fit the motosportz damper until the ttx arrives. Looking at about a month before I get to assembly stages.

I should have the S3 cylinder arriving next week so will be able to visibly inspect it.

Worst case is that I run 80hrs on the 250 top end before deciding I prefer the 300. In this time I plan on doing some handy work of my own on the 300 cylinder and sending the head out for some adjustments. I'll basically have 2 bikes on the ready. Maybe alternate them between top ends? We'll see what tickles my fancy the most.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:06 AM

man i think i should do the same thing and just have a 250 on hand so i can do the same. thats a really great idea and all ill be risking is maybe not being overly pumped about it and go back to the 300(im having some bike issues im working through right now anyway might be a good time!). were did you get your parts from?
Old 03-16-2012, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Gofasters mate. Theres a thread on here somewhere running with a discussion about it. Another bloke swapped out his stock 300 cyl and head for S3 replacement and is stoked with it. I made my decision somewhat impulsively as I'm coming up to top end time again anyway.

You're looking at $625 for the cylinder. You can re-use the S3 head if you buy a 250 insert. RRP $90ea or $210 for a whole second head. I opted for the later as it comes with 3 inserts. Do the maths *shrugs* So I
'll have 2 spare inserts available however they'll be in Australia.

What issues are you facing with the bike at the moment? How many hours you got on it? How do you rate the TTX?
Old 03-16-2012, 07:00 AM

Nothing to serious I hope, my kicks after seemed to be seizing so I'm going to have a peek this weekend. I had the water pump bearing that's pressed into the case let go on me and that's how my first engine went but this seems different so I'll check it out. I've got about 100 hours on it now and absolutely love the ttx. I'm actually really excited for your opinion because everyone that rides my bike(some gasgas and some ktm) absolutley love them and are noticeably faster once they get use to my setup. I'll search for that thread id like to know if he accomplished what we both want, a smaller lighter feeling bike.