Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:22 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default on trail, need tips!

At walker valley, 500(?) Elevation, 40 f., xc300.170 main, 38 pilot, cck needle leanest clip. AS 1.5 turns. Does not want to transition from closed to open, goes ga ga ga ga Braapp. Tried needle richer, got worse. Have a screwdriver for as, no jets or needles. What should I do? Have tried as from closed to three turns, no improvement, just moves Braapp around. Can't get rid of ga ga ga.

Pscook.217@gmail.com

I love technology!

Old 12-16-2011, 02:03 PM

Here is an old trick that might work. If you have a short piece of braided copper wire strip the insulation off a 1 inch piece then take one strand of the wire and stick the end of the wire into the bottom of the main jet and wrap the excess around the jet so that it doesn't fall out. This is the same as leaning out the main. If you want to go leaner than that use 2 strands. I did this on an old Honda TL125 when I rode it in from lowlands to the mountains so I didn't have to bring as many tools or jets.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Check your float level and clean the carb. When was the last time you repacked the silencer?

I have an '01 that was doing the same thing and fouling plugs regularly. I cleaned the carb, reset the float level, changed all of the overflow hoses and repacked the silencer.

IIRC I am now using a 172 main, 40 (or 42 pilot) LTR needle with the clip in the middle, and the air screw at 1.5 turns out.

It idles very well, rarely fouls a plug and is very crisp. I am pretty sure mine was the combo of the float level too high and the pipe needed to be re-packed.

I ride at Belfair, up at Cle Elum and alot down in southern Oregon. I don't make any changes from this for elevation changes. I occaisionally will adjust the air screw for temperature from Winter to Summer.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:49 PM

Ok, just got back. Lots of ideas, but I think that my ratio is wrong. I am running Amsoil Dominator at 50:1, and I think that I need 40:1 and go from there. I am choking the air to get it to run, and it doesn't like it. I ended up with the needle all of the way down, AS at 1.5. This exact same scenario happened with a KTM65 that I was tuning, once we changed the ratio it got lots and lots better. If I add more oil to the ratio, then it runs leaner. I can then increase the jet size and raise the needle to get more fuel mix through the carb, thus adding oil and gas to the engine. More quantity of pre-mix, but less quantity of oil.

Silencer has fresh packing, this was my first ride on the bike. Lots of little issues, but I'm ready to ride it lots more. GREAT chassis, very forgiving. Too much engine so I will get a G2 throttle tube posthaste.

Also, my PV does some odd things. I was checking it yesterday and it seems to hang up "over-center" every now and then. It did this on the trail, I could hear the engine tone change when it was open at low revs. Plus it would get very "pipey" when this happened. Common issue? Should I add a spring like in the PV thread to get it to return more readily?

Bryan- What oil and ratio are you using? What is your float height? It doesn't leak doing the tip test. Carb is spotless (internally). I just sent an email to Les asking about his needle. I am also going to see if Aurora Suzuki has the NEDJ needle in stock and play with that. I want to add more oil to reduce the gas in the mix and jet to that.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:19 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscook View Post
Ok, just got back. Lots of ideas, but I think that my ratio is wrong. I am running Amsoil Dominator at 50:1, and I think that I need 40:1 and go from there. I am choking the air to get it to run, and it doesn't like it. I ended up with the needle all of the way down, AS at 1.5. This exact same scenario happened with a KTM65 that I was tuning, once we changed the ratio it got lots and lots better. If I add more oil to the ratio, then it runs leaner. I can then increase the jet size and raise the needle to get more fuel mix through the carb, thus adding oil and gas to the engine. More quantity of pre-mix, but less quantity of oil.

Silencer has fresh packing, this was my first ride on the bike. Lots of little issues, but I'm ready to ride it lots more. GREAT chassis, very forgiving. Too much engine so I will get a G2 throttle tube posthaste.

Also, my PV does some odd things. I was checking it yesterday and it seems to hang up "over-center" every now and then. It did this on the trail, I could hear the engine tone change when it was open at low revs. Plus it would get very "pipey" when this happened. Common issue? Should I add a spring like in the PV thread to get it to return more readily?

Bryan- What oil and ratio are you using? What is your float height? It doesn't leak doing the tip test. Carb is spotless (internally). I just sent an email to Les asking about his needle. I am also going to see if Aurora Suzuki has the NEDJ needle in stock and play with that. I want to add more oil to reduce the gas in the mix and jet to that.
I have been running BelRay full synthetic at 48:1. If you put it on it's side and stnad up it should drip some. Otherwise it may not have enough in the float bowl. It is pretty sensitve to get the level right.

It wouldn't hurt to check the power valve to make sure it is operating smoothly and properly.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:09 PM

Was searching for jetting tips, found this-
Since I exhausted the Air Screw and needle, I am going to tear the carb apart (again) and inspect the reeds. Boy, if it was just worn reeds and plugged carb I will be happy. Otherwise I will be asking for other experts to ride my bike and offer suggestions. Quite frustrating, especially since I was told that "it's got a fresh Eric Gorr top end" (among other other blatant lies) by the seller. Nothing like buying a pig in a poke from a liar to ruin a riding impression.