Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:25 PM

Default Red oil in case?? What is it?

I purchased a 2010 EC 300 with about 4 hrs on it. I dont think it even had a full tank of gas ran through it. Im planning on taking it out on the first real ride this coming weekend so I thought I would put fresh oil in it.
When I drained the oil I noticed it was red similar to transmission fluid. Has anyone heard of this? What could it be? I dont think the original owner mistakenly put tranny fluid in it. He had several street bikes and dual sports. But it sure makes me wonder what it could have been. I never had any problems or noticed anything funny when I had it out for a short ride right after I bought it.
I replaced it with 10W30 Lucas motorcycle racing oil. So, I should be good now.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:45 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Trans fluid has been recommended on this forum. It has good detergent properties and works well. I have read to change it after a long ride or every 4-8 hours, but I have no experience with ATF in a bike transmission myself. It isn't under pressure or being pumped anywhere, so it is only being used in a bath type environment.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith View Post
I purchased a 2010 EC 300 with about 4 hrs on it. I dont think it even had a full tank of gas ran through it. Im planning on taking it out on the first real ride this coming weekend so I thought I would put fresh oil in it.
When I drained the oil I noticed it was red similar to transmission fluid. Has anyone heard of this? What could it be? I dont think the original owner mistakenly put tranny fluid in it. He had several street bikes and dual sports. But it sure makes me wonder what it could have been. I never had any problems or noticed anything funny when I had it out for a short ride right after I bought it.
I replaced it with 10W30 Lucas motorcycle racing oil. So, I should be good now.
Its a 2T so the oil is only for the transmission Not uncommon for some people to run ATF so thats probably what it was. 4T engine oil works too (as its designed to work with wet clutches). Avoid anything with friction modifiers that may cause the clutch plates to slip. A thinner oil generally creates less drag and in particular with these bikes, less squawk/squeal when working the clutch hard.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:05 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

I use bellray gear saver oil and I think that is red also no clutch chirping either I know some guys that had serious clutch chirping who are running motorex ATF
Old 05-20-2012, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

FWW I have used GRO for the forst 12 months with little to no noise. I then tried a round of fuchs silkolene gear oil - some noise. Now I'm on the Amsoil 4T 10W40/50? and its horrible. The clutch makes noise as soon as its under stress. I think I'll go back to the GRO as its worked wonders. I didn't mind the GRO in the engine either. Burnt really clean with minimal smoke or spooge. I'm also finding the Amsoil Donimator nice on the engine too though so will stick with it. I like the red premix! Reminds me its been mixed.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:34 AM

Bellray gear saver, red as....
Old 05-20-2012, 06:18 AM

I use Castrol oil in my Gasser and my Husky, it is red. I think it's a good oil, I've done over 12000 km on the Husky without opening the motor, exept for valve check
Old 05-20-2012, 09:17 PM

Shell Rotella T diesel oil. Cheap and easily available everywhere, from truck stops to Walmart. Change it every race or hard ride, or a few hours. The non-syn 15-40 W is fine, and is what is recommended by Rekluse for their clutches. I used to use the 5-40W synthetic but haven't since it was reformulated. Not saying its bad now, just have not tried it lately because my '07 is fine with the 15-40W.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
FWW I have used GRO for the forst 12 months with little to no noise. I then tried a round of fuchs silkolene gear oil - some noise. Now I'm on the Amsoil 4T 10W40/50? and its horrible. The clutch makes noise as soon as its under stress. I think I'll go back to the GRO as its worked wonders. I didn't mind the GRO in the engine either. Burnt really clean with minimal smoke or spooge. I'm also finding the Amsoil Donimator nice on the engine too though so will stick with it. I like the red premix! Reminds me its been mixed.
What GRO did you use ? I'm running Motul 7100 10-40 (synthetic ester) but noise is quite about the same. I do prefer ester oils but I'd give it a try with GRO.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator

http://globalracingoil.com.au/motorc...bal-gear-trans

I have some motul 5100 at home too. Haven't tried it in the Gasser though.