Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eralha View Post
Hi,

Yes it does the whining sound, it failed one ride, i didnt measure the battery voltage on load.

The starter never worked 100%, it was getting worse every ride to put the bike to start, i will order a new starter motor, prety sure that its the problem.

thanks.
Mh... I'd check the voltage before buying a new starter. I really doubt that it is a faulty starter. A stronger battery doesnt help. I tried a booster on mine, its so powerful that you can start a Tiger tank after 60 years easily but my Gasser didnt start with it. I added new, thicker cables, got an updated CDI, added an additional ground cable between battery and starter, full program. Also greased the gears, nothing helped.
Suddenly one day it worked, no clue why.

I run a weaker Shido battery in my 2019 and it starts fine. I tried the stronger 2019 battery in my 2018 it still hesitates before it starts when cold... its a bit of a mystery.

Hope you get it sorted, keep my fingers crossed!

Old 12-17-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
Mh... I'd check the voltage before buying a new starter. I really doubt that it is a faulty starter. A stronger battery doesnt help. I tried a booster on mine, its so powerful that you can start a Tiger tank after 60 years easily but my Gasser didnt start with it. I added new, thicker cables, got an updated CDI, added an additional ground cable between battery and starter, full program. Also greased the gears, nothing helped.
Suddenly one day it worked, no clue why.

I run a weaker Shido battery in my 2019 and it starts fine. I tried the stronger 2019 battery in my 2018 it still hesitates before it starts when cold... its a bit of a mystery.

Hope you get it sorted, keep my fingers crossed!
I didn't checked the voltage, but now with the new cables, it does the whining sound and it crack the motor for like a 1/4 turn.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I didn't checked the voltage, but now with the new cables, it does the whining sound and it crack the motor for like a 1/4 turn.
Yes, it was same with mine. Will it crank and start when the engine is warm?
Old 12-17-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Yes, it was same with mine. Will it crank and start when the engine is warm?
No, works the same when warm.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:55 PM

Have you taken the starter motor apart at any time?

I only ask as a lot of riders took KTM starters apart and then got the magnet polarity back to front and robbed the motor of most of its power. Very easy to do with that particular motor.

It could be the motor brushes that are either worn or sticking in their guides and not making good contact with the commutator. Worth a check but make sure that you mark up the casing for proper orientation on assembly.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:14 AM

Quote:
No, works the same when warm.
Damned! Do you have a riding mate whith whom you could interchange the starter motor for testing?
Old 12-18-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudolfHucker View Post
Have you taken the starter motor apart at any time?

I only ask as a lot of riders took KTM starters apart and then got the magnet polarity back to front and robbed the motor of most of its power. Very easy to do with that particular motor.

It could be the motor brushes that are either worn or sticking in their guides and not making good contact with the commutator. Worth a check but make sure that you mark up the casing for proper orientation on assembly.
Thanks for the tips, will try that and give feedback.

Cheers.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:25 AM

I haven't touched my starter yet as the bike is brand new so I don't know if there are referb kits available for brushes etc. They will be out there somewhere.

Jeff Slavens sells some kits for the KTM units and the parts may well be similar or the same. A lot of bikes have also used Yamaha oem starters and they have kits available.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:42 AM

Not only the starter motor. I used his carb, cdi, stator, starter relay, starter etc to find the problem my bike had.

Maybe riding mate is the wrong term, he is my best friend and we share a garage, so whenver spannering/riding we do it togehter.

The left is his, the right is mine...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180512_164205.jpg (140.2 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Doc Brown; 12-19-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Not only the starter motor. I used his carb, cdi, stator, starter relay, starter etc to find the problem my bike had.

Maybe riding mate is the wrong term, he is my best friend and we share a garage, so whenver spannering/riding we do it togehter.

The left is his, the right is mine...
What was the problem with yours Doc?