Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 11-18-2012, 06:26 AM

Default 2001 EC300 Ohlins Shock Help: Service and Setup

Hello,

While my engine is out I'm doing all swingarm and linkage bearings and want to do the shock at the same time. Suspension is one thing (of many) I don't know anything about. I'd like to have the shock serviced and setup for my weight 220lbs and beginner/intermediate level. I plan on doing much more riding this year so I'd like to get it set up correctly now. I'm in the UK, riding green lanes, some mx(no big jumps), enduros of varying terrain.

Here are the items I need help with:

Spring - The current spring says 596-09/50 460 - Can you interpret and recommend?

Service - I think I will send out to a shop for oil, gas, seals, and whatever else. I see ohlins dealers here in the UK that do on road and mx/offroad. Does it matter if it is not an enduro suspension shop doing a routine service? I assume a tech would be doing a GSXR shock and then doing an enduro shock with the same mindset...

Revalve - I take it this is more for changing an mx shock into an enduro type shock. Any relevance here?

Sag - I've heard on here that some years like to run with a lot of sag. Would that help a 2001 bike? And I presume raising forks through triple clamps to compensate?

Height - I'm not very tall. I don't really want to a lowering kit if it means less clearance and compromised handling, but any way to give me a 1/2" or something to help the tippy toes. Perhaps above sag would help.

Bleeding Air - is this forks only? I have never done this forks or shocks.

Two cogs at top of spring - I feel really dumb, but what are these called. They seem to be way towards the bottom of the threads. Top one is loose, bottom one isn't. I can only apologize...

Clickers - I don't know what they are at but I can look at the database and try to figure it out.

Many thanks for your help and patience.

--Krazy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shock_top.jpg (124.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg shock_lower.JPG (86.2 KB, 31 views)

Old 11-18-2012, 07:01 AM

That black knob at the bottom is the rebound adjustment. There should be a screw near the res, that is the compression. The two "cogs" at the top of the spring are for adjusting spring preload (sag).

Bleeding air - forks only.

Sag - you do not change the forks in the triples to compensate for rear sag. The preload in the forks is adjusted for sag
Old 11-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

A suspension shop that does road and mx/off road at the same time is the norm, rebuilding a road shock or off road shock means disassembly, replacement of worn parts, cleaning, changing oil and reassembly, checking to see if your spring is sacked out.

Revalving is where you need to be sure your suspension shop know what they are doing, if they seem road biased and you have no referral, you could be getting not the best job. I would scour forums to find an off road biased shop to go to near you that has a success based reputation.

Everyone will benefit from expert suspension setup, at any level, and you will learn a lot talking to the experts. The best you've ridden is the best you know.

Current. 2015 ec300r estart, 98 RM 125

2013 Ec300r 2011 Ec300e 2009 Husky TE310
1982 XR500 Honda 1981 KE100 Kawasaki
1978 GT80 Yamaha
Old 11-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Spring numbers; The 50 in that number says it's a 5.0kg spring.Wayway to soft for you as evidented by the wound the hell down preload adjuster.I'm the same wieght as you and have run a 5.8 spring in my last two bikes.Sweet as.
Get a suspension guru to service and revave the shock unit to suit the new spring.
He'll tell you how to adjust the unit com/reb and sag.
Happy days.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:32 AM

Ok thanks guys. That all makes sense.

I'm looking at this spring on ebay: http://goo.gl/qOVDu

The height of my shock is 270 and ID is 58mm so that matches, but the OD of mine is 80mm compared to 75mm. Perhaps if the OD is a bit smaller that is ok as it should still fit?

I assume this one is a 5.7kg spring rate...

Last edited by krazy; 11-19-2012 at 04:32 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

I wouldn't bother,to many vairables.

Talk to a spring retailer who knows his stuff.Or just ask your suspension guru to supply one.

Genuine ohlins are worth moonbeams.Aftermarket = 1/2 of those moonbeams.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:18 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Contact Ohlins http://www.ohlins.com/
and get a referral for a suspension tech in your area that is Offroad biased.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:07 PM

chris hockey here in the uk is the man,
www.drshox.co.uk
Give him a call and he will be able to help,

V-tec