Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:56 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default Getting in shape

So at the start of this year, I decided it was time for a life change. Eat healthier and exercise regularly. I am at the point, where I don't want to think that I am over 50% thru life. I want to Still have over 50% left.

Been going to the gym, and decided to race mountain bike XC series. Well after the 1st race- I was hurting. At that point I had been going to the gym for about a month. So I just continued hitting the gym. Last week, I went riding the 300 for the first time this year.

I felt good, didn't get tired like I used to. It made a huge difference in how hard I could ride, and for how long. When we were done- I was fine, not tired. I could have kept riding. That was what I hoped for, and its working. I have a long way to go, and the hardest part is making it a permanent part of my day to day activities.

So today, I had my second mountain bike race. (Port gamble) Heavy rain, greasy thick mud. And it started with 2 miles of uphill doubletrack. Followed by muddy, tight singletrack. I finished, and I didn't feel beat. Right now 5 hrs later-still ok. More to come-looking forward to the D100,and some other offroad endurance races to try out on the 300.

Last edited by adv rider; 03-16-2014 at 09:20 PM. Reason: thoughts

Old 03-16-2014, 05:46 PM

Wait 'till your "in shape". Riding the "tough" stuff, won't be as tough anymore.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:34 AM

Default Getting in shape

Its been a year now that I've been exercising, eating better, etc. The rides don't tire me out near as much, and less sore after rides. Its nice to be able to "push" it for a longer ride.
So I feel making the change was something I should have done long ago.
I even raced a Downhill MTB event and placed 1st. Looking forward to the upcoming XC series to see how it goes.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:23 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Big ups for starting & conviction.I always said the hardest part of any training is turning up for training.
As soon as this Christmas cake is gone I'm starting.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:48 AM

Default Getting in shape...

i am still around, I sold my GG300 in Nov.18. Looking for a 2018-19 300 Demo, or very low hours.
I must admit though...Im not in very good shape. Shortly after I opened this thread in 2014, my wife had our first son , i tried to continue to do whatever I wanted, but that didn't last long.
Fast forward to today...I am back at the gym, trying to be healthier, eating right, etc. It sucks...I was in the best shape of my life-then family happenned., so now I feel i am starting over.
Going to race Desert 100 this weekend on a 15 y.o playbike, it should be interesting.
If any of you are there, stop by and say hi! Im driving a brown VW vanagon poptop, and riding a Honda crf230f in the race,
Old 04-04-2019, 05:21 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adv rider View Post
i am still around, I sold my GG300 in Nov.18. Looking for a 2018-19 300 Demo, or very low hours.
I must admit though...Im not in very good shape. Shortly after I opened this thread in 2014, my wife had our first son , i tried to continue to do whatever I wanted, but that didn't last long.
Fast forward to today...I am back at the gym, trying to be healthier, eating right, etc. It sucks...I was in the best shape of my life-then family happenned., so now I feel i am starting over.
Going to race Desert 100 this weekend on a 15 y.o playbike, it should be interesting.
If any of you are there, stop by and say hi! Im driving a brown VW vanagon poptop, and riding a Honda crf230f in the race,
Good luck in the race. And on your new physical fitness program.

Most of us have the best of intentions but life does seem to get in the way.

RB
Old 04-04-2019, 07:47 AM

Hi, John! Good luck at the D100, ride smart (I know that you do). I have been battling injuries myself, and my fitness consisted of "I'ma fitness entire donut in my mouth." But, I'm riding my bicycle to work three days a week and I'm almost ready to get back to running. I started with my simple home exercise routine and developed tennis elbow, so I'm a wreck. Next week will be better!

Stay with it, it's worth it. There are fewer things better than getting to the end of a tough trail, looking back at your riding buddy and saying "that was fun!" instead of "that... sucked... so... bad... (gasp, wheeze)..."