Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 03-15-2016, 11:51 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Great pics and write-up broken, so cool to see the scenery from that neck of the woods

Pretty sweet to roll up to the top of that climb and find those cabins, as well as make it past the terrain required to get there.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:27 PM

That area around Tellico was one of my favorite places to take my Jeep. So sad the OHV trails were closed. School Bus, Lower 2, Guardrail... ah memories.

This area looks great. Is there a map or anything to help someone from the NC Triangle area get here and navigate?
Old 03-16-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockefellerGG View Post
That area around Tellico was one of my favorite places to take my Jeep. So sad the OHV trails were closed. School Bus, Lower 2, Guardrail... ah memories.

This area looks great. Is there a map or anything to help someone from the NC Triangle area get here and navigate?
Unfortunately, theres no map of this area. I've been looking online for info, and all I find is fly fishing links for this watershed.

Last weekend, I went up in there again. But found a diff easier route. Called Huffman Creek rd(dirt rd at first. but degrads down to a 4x4 rd, then turns into a 4 wheeler trail) It deadends(at 4700') into a gravel access rd going to some cabins(rd is gated from the Skyway. but perfectly legal to ride. even talked to one of the cabin owners 2 yrs ago, when I stumbled up in there on my supermoto. very friendly guy thats a local here in town). Turn left, it goes down again somewhat while turning very steep, wet, and techy again, and comes into Squally about 3/4s of the way up it. Then turned left and went down Squally, for an approx 20 mile loop.

I also took time to scope out other turn offs. Talked to a group of locals that I came across up in there. They were a huge group(10-12) of 'Side by Side' AWD ATVs plus some bikes. Theres a wealth of other trail options up in there, that I didn't know about. That surprisingly go up and over the mtn, over to the back side of the old Tellico RV area.

These lands are intertwined with old family lands and indian res lands. So the forest service can't close it down. It IS very technical just about everywhere, once you get up in there. So its not for the novice rider.

Only pic from the last ride, after it was over. With a new friend on his 09 KTM 300. Hes from Maine(hes building a cabin next door to this area), and races B enduro and hare scrambles. He LOVED the area, being his first time up into it. We never touched pavement riding from his place.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:38 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBrider View Post
Great ride report BR. You gotta funny way of doing post injury PT

You'll be hell when you're well!!

I rode that, (we came out on the Skyway up near the Tn/NC line, so I assume it was the same trail), last fall on my Orange 450. It was a handful. I'm looking forward to trying it this year on my XC 200.

Thanks for the post. I'm looking forward to getting back to that area.

RB
Just rode this trail again two days ago on my orange EXC 450. It kicked my butt even worse than last year. Riding it the day after a heavy rain fall probably didn't help.

I haven't figured out how to get a legal tag on my XC 200 yet, but I definitely need it if I'm going to ride this trail again. Maybe I'll just borrow the tag off the orange bike.

RB