Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 07-30-2015, 05:49 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Cool Annual Guys Camp & Ride Report

Several years ago, I talked my buddy from WI into flying out for a long weekend of riding & camping. We'd been going to Gifford Pinchot since the inaugural trip and had planned to do so again this year, but fire restrictions made us change the game plan late in the process and we ended up hitting Tillamook (my main stomping ground).

An assortment of the usual suspects opted to join in with guys trickling into camp as their schedules allowed. We arrived late Wednesday night, even later than expected thanks to the friendly skies delaying my buddy's flight. Always enjoy setting up a tent at midnight...lol.

Since it was just the three of us nutballs that first morning, we decided to hit some of the harder trails; which in hindsight wasn't the brightest idea as we still had 2 full days ahead of us once day 1 was down. To start things off, we hit a trail none of us had experienced previously - one-way downhill section of gnarly single track. Get to the bottom and discover open pockets in someone's pack...and a missing phone. Ride back to camp and do the 2 trails we'd just covered with no luck. More on the phone saga later.

Buddy was bummed, but we pressed on as the day wasn't waiting. We did a couple easy bits and then headed toward black diamonds and double black diamonds. Not sure what we were thinking when we hit the first double - what a mother of a trail...lol. You know it's tough when you get to a section and there's nowhere to go - bulldog the bikes downhill hoping the front doesn't wash out and send you tumbling as you try to figure out where the trail went...lol.

We eventually made it down and proceeded to another double black diamond downhill - the sign actually has it as a triple black, but I think it's old marking. Aptly named Beaverslide as you spend most of the time slipping and sliding down...lol.

Did that, then over to more downhill insanity with MC. Looped back and did more easy bits, then trekked to more trails that would take us back toward camp as we thought another maroon was going to be there (he wasn't). Had the opportunity to experience another new trail called Cut Off - more sliding and triceps burn keeping my arse back in the seat.

Quick bite to eat at camp, then back out for another trek in the woods. We hit a whole variety of stuff and had to take the opportunity to check out the view from Triangulation Point. Nothing like seeing the Pacific Ocean from atop this peak, not to mention the incredible 360 it offers.

More fun after this, with lots of technical single track planned to get us back to camp. Last trail we're on before heading to camp and Murphy strikes, my buddy had his front tire hit the soft edge of the outside of the trail and poof...20 feet straight down. Nothing like coming around the corner to see your bud hauling himself back up with the bike wedged against a tree. At least the tree stopped the bike from falling all the way to the creek bed...because hauling it straight up 20ish feet wasn't tough enough...lol. Ferns make for soft landing though - he was fine.

Took an hour or so to get going again, but we did it and blitzed to camp...time for beer and whisky.

Great grub around the fire and lots to drink - perfect end to 60ish miles of single track insanity.

Last edited by liv2day; 07-30-2015 at 05:50 PM. Reason: typo

Old 07-30-2015, 06:16 PM

Day two started off with typical camp breakfast and a couple more guys showing up. After BSing for a while and getting full on eggs and bacon, we geared up and headed out. While getting geared up, one of the guys who'd just arrived says to our buddy who lost his phone - "Hey, your wife is going to some dude's house to get your phone man...and then they're having a romantic dinner"...LOL. Couldn't believe someone found his phone in the first place, then had the decency to call and let his wife know he'd found it. How cool is that - guys that ride the tough trails are solid peeps

The goal for the morning ride was to hit some of the stuff at the western end of the area - lots of great single track with some tough trails thrown in here and there (didn't want to make the new guys whine too much...lol).

What we found was the trails I'd ridden earlier in March were so completely overgrown that it was almost impossible to ride. One was so bad that we couldn't find the trail after making it 1/2 mile into it - goofy trail just disappeared. So, we fumbled our way around and stumbled upon another black diamond I'd never been on. Probably won't do it again as it was hairball...lol. We made our way back to camp and decided 45ish miles was good for the day - time for more beer & whisky consumption.

Couple more guys rolled in Saturday morning for just the day, so we geared up and took off on an easy ride. Covered a number of trails we'd done a couple days before, but it was good fun. Pretty much destroyed one of the guys as he hasn't been back into it that long, so it was a relatively easy ride. After he smashed his foot into some rocks and couldn't walk, we decided to head back to camp.

Several of the other guys wussed out, so a few of us headed out for an afternoon ride.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:17 PM

Another 60ish miles covered and I was completely wiped, back to camp for an awesome dinner of fresh oysters and kokane that my buddy had just caught the weekend prior. Way too much whisky consumed, but what a kick-arse way to end another annual guy's trip.

Tons of video to post, get that done next.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

I envy your ride reports! Always full of good food and loads of booze! Would be enjoyable even without the bikes.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:00 PM

I would give nearly anything to ride the PNW. I love that area

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2015, 02:44 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Life is gooood!!
Awesome country.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:22 AM

That looks good !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-31-2015, 12:26 PM

Thanks guys

Jake & memphis (or anyone else for that matter) - you guys are welcome any time if you can arrange to get out this way. Don't come in the next few months as everything is closed for fire danger, but come late September or early October, trails should open again and I'll be out on 'em.

Great places to ride all around here - we're fortunate that way

Still need to get the video links posted - some fun stuff to watch if you have time to waste.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2day View Post
Thanks guys

Jake & memphis (or anyone else for that matter) - you guys are welcome any time if you can arrange to get out this way. Don't come in the next few months as everything is closed for fire danger, but come late September or early October, trails should open again and I'll be out on 'em.

Great places to ride all around here - we're fortunate that way

Still need to get the video links posted - some fun stuff to watch if you have time to waste.

Closest I ever get is San Fransisco. Usually get out there about 3 times a year but I doubt I could write off bike transport as a business expense. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2015, 05:04 PM

Default Guys camp n ride

Looks like an amazing place to ride, I need to get down there someday.
Off topic:
I'd like to know more about the black Sprinter. It looks like a self made camper. I have been thinking about changing over to one, from my Westfalia.