Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:43 PM

Default Power valve not working

Hi guys searched the forums and read heaps on these things not working and adjusting slack and preload and such. My problem is that on throttle my valve is hardly moving. I have taken the actuator arm off and the triangle plate has fre movement and the actual valves move freely with this motion. I adjusted the preload slack previously when I did the top end about 20hrs ago. Complete new top end, jug, s3 head, piston/rings, and cleaned valves up also. Went well till I was chasing an electrical gremlin that ended up being the stator, but now I basically have no power band.
Opened up the right cover and as stated tookthe actuator arm off. Triangle plate has very easy full movement from stop to stop. But all hooked up and running t takes almost full throttle for it to move at all and when it does move it only moves sparodically and not very much, like at best 5 mm. Not sure on the governor side if the could be something wrong there. Could there be too much preload?
Bike is an 04 EC300 and b4 electrical gremlin was running wicked
Hopefully get somewhere. This forum is a whealth of info, thx

Old 09-01-2018, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

Did you pull on the arm at some stage or operate the PV without the engine running??? You can dislodge the ball bearings in the governor which will bind it up and stop it working correctly as described.

RHS engine cover will have to come off again and governor pulled down and put back together.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:12 PM

Had the side cover off yesterday to make sure of that. From what I can tell it?s like the governor is not working properly to move the wire looking arm. Unsure why it stopped working though as it was fine
Old 09-02-2018, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator

The governor is gear driven, centrifugal force throws the ball bearings out to engage the governor, and from there it's all linkage up to the PV plate.

As above, side cover needs to come off and you need to investigate the governor in more detail (including linkage up to PV chamber).

You've already established the flapper and drums operate as expected, so the problem is down in the case.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:14 AM

the govenor balls are fine and in normal position. is there a possibilaty of these balls being worn?(slim from my limited mechanical knowledge). i guess can only be the wire linkage binding somehow. will be a few days till ill be able to get back to investigation
thx Jakobi
Old 09-02-2018, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

If the problem arose after you tensioned up the linkage then it's possible you've accidently bound something up or over tensioned it.

Just work your way from the gearset back up. You'll find the offending item soon enough
Old 09-06-2018, 04:06 AM

So I've got the powervalve sorted it's free as a bird and working nice by the looks when giving throttle but the top end is shocking. Seems to be break8ng down once band hits. Spat a plug this arvo so thought it was that. I nearly burnt it at this stage. This b8ke has been nothing but problems. Basically everything in the top end is less than 10hrs old. Edit the only th8ng ive changed is the head. Ive put an S3 high compression head. Besides a new stator as the old 1 was cactus. Here is a vid of it stationary. https://youtu.be/XWsI2U8XMPk
Old 09-06-2018, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

Ohh man! I feel your pain.

Exhaust clear?

Coil and lead ok?
Old 09-07-2018, 02:27 AM

Difficult to be sure from video, but immediate reaction would be maybe something up with the ignition. Ignition timing misfire rather than mechanical? Age and wear and tear on wires, connectors and joints. Don't be downhearted, eventual victory over difficult and annoying problems is one of the joys of dirtbike ownership
Old 09-07-2018, 03:45 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravan Monster View Post
Difficult to be sure from video, but immediate reaction would be maybe something up with the ignition. Ignition timing misfire rather than mechanical? Age and wear and tear on wires, connectors and joints. Don't be downhearted, eventual victory over difficult and annoying problems is one of the joys of dirtbike ownership
I had a bad earth connection on my ignition coil once. It behaved quite similar. The problem was a rusted tab on the frame where the coil is mounted.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc