Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 11-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Ditto Evan, thanks mate.
Now Clay if we can see some up to date pictures I am in
Cheers Mark

Old 11-19-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemoto View Post
Look I like dirt bikes as much as everyone, and Gas Gas is my favorite, but can I give a mention on the girl standing in front of the bike in the last photo?
I had a hard time looking at the bike with her in front of it. I like the new suspension on her. Those are some long forks, and how about the fun bags up front.
Forget the forks and the fun bags ....check out the INTAKE !!!
Old 11-21-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john01 View Post
So can you set up a 2012GG for a old slow guy like me?
Certainly, I'll post results from the next round of suspension testing when the notes are available. I hope to have some good baseline settings, relative adjustment procedures for the average guy, and with upper level internal settings that I'll offer to our customers who wish to send their stuff in for service. Cheers!
Downingtown, PA 19335
484.593.0095 shop
evan@solid-performance.com
www.solid-performance.com
Old 11-21-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinGas View Post
Evan, can you explain do pfp and compression interact together? If I tighten pfp does that affect compression?

Also: is there a service manual available?
Regarding the service manual, I was not aware of one. I'll email my Italian contact and inquire about one. I just took a bunch of notes and pics during my time with the techs and transcribed a "personal" users manual from that.

To answer your question on the relationship of PFP to low speed compression adjustment. Thought I am still working on establishing my own "working knowledge" of the two adjuster interactions, in my opinion they work with each other, but also independent. See, the PFP can increase or decrease cartridge pressure, while the low speed compression can only change the bleed past the base compression stack. I have a feeling that with more PFP preload, a rider can obtain a firmer feel without turning the low speed compression in and sacrifice feel on the small bumps. I don't want to call the PFP a high speed adjuster, but it will have some effect on that velocity range. As the tech discussed with me, most moto applications call for more PFP preload to help with "big hits", while enduro applications call for less PFP preload to provide a more plush overall feel.

Again, I'll post more later when I get some additional feedback.

In addition, I know I am new to the forum, so any other techs that want to add their two cents, I'm certainly here for an open source discussion, rather than just only putting down my own experiences in writing. I have previously refused to join any "orange" forums for the very lack of this basic understanding. The GG family had thus far not been lumped into that category. I would personally love to see the knowledge flow freely regarding suspension, chassis or other GG unique variables so that the brand as a whole can grow & prosper. If I don't learn something new each day, it wasn't a good day.

Cheers!
Downingtown, PA 19335
484.593.0095 shop
evan@solid-performance.com
www.solid-performance.com
Old 11-21-2011, 03:07 PM

Thumbs up

Evan,

Welcome to the forum and we look foward to your contributions.

The rule here for members is share anything except specific valving data provided by a proffesionall tuner such as yourself. Of course you may if you are willing to do so however. I feel its simply protection of intellectual property for the people like you making a living at it.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:58 PM

Very good Evan I'll be looking for your report. I want my next bikes suspension to be set up to absorb the bumps, rocks, roots etc. and not just crash into them. The stock stuff on my 2010 GG 300 has finally softened up but it's still not very smooth. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:08 AM

"the PFP can increase or decrease cartridge pressure, while the low speed compression can only change the bleed past the base compression stack. I have a feeling that with more PFP preload, a rider can obtain a firmer feel without turning the low speed compression in and sacrifice feel on the small bumps."

Evan

I have come to the same conclusion.. With PFP I can make the front ride higher in the stroke.. I have not noticed much difference in small bump sensitivity but clearly even one turn of PFP makes the mid stroke firmer. I now use mainly PFP when making compression adjustments during ride.

What started to interest me after your excellent post (only real information about the forks I have found so far) was the big oil adjustment range in the cartridge.
These are my first cartridge forks and I don't really understand fully what oil volume does to fork behaviour.

Do you also know if some other fork has the same springs as this one (not easy to get parts in Finland yet...)

-Mika
Old 11-22-2011, 04:51 AM

Evan,

Thank you for your contribution, it's really helpful.
May I suggest to the moderator move this content to a new topic in "Suspensions" ? We are moving away from what the present topic is all about.
It would also help members to find information related to the Marzocchi 48 CC forks.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinGas View Post

Do you also know if some other fork has the same springs as this one (not easy to get parts in Finland yet...)

-Mika
Same deal here
Old 11-22-2011, 11:37 PM

Default 2012 gasgas

Since I have a 250 coming in the spring of next year,I'm wondering if I will need to have the rear and front resprung for my riding weight of 160lbs?