Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:55 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Braddenning,

To be fair, one cannot use my weights in direct comparison to other tests or claims using different equipment. I plan on taking my scale to a willing KTM dealer and ask if I can weigh a KTM 300 on the floor. The official KTM Factory website even lists weight without fuel as "approximate" so what one thinks they know is not necessarily true. I notice you are using the lightest weight KTM 300 for your camparison but a truer comparison would be to use the 300 XC that has linkage which weighs, according to the KTM website, an "approximate" 229.1 pounds (without fuel...but also without DOT tires, lights, hand guards, skid plate, euro street legal switches, steering lock, full coverage graphics including on the rim, and a spark arrestor). That's a claimed 22.5 pound difference from my actual measurement. If you want to compare to the PDS model, then that is a different solution to the "off road/enduro question" and is not really accurate for "keyboard comparisons". The PDS is a different solution and if that is what one wants one can only choose that or find an older ATK/Cannondale. BTW, if I'm not mistaken, the latest model of a KTM PDS 300 weighs more than my old ATK 406 (218 pounds with no gas) which came with a spark arrestor. That being the case, where is the outrage over that? I can hear it now, though, that the ATK is not watercooled, it does not have blah-blah-blah, etc. Just like my list above as to what the GG has and the KTM 300XC does not. That's why folks should make their own comparisons to like subjects. My point is that anyone can find justification for their ideas and beliefs. That's okay...it's human nature. I personally think KTMs are great bikes, so are the Betas, so are the Shercos...Heck, I really like Hondas when I ride them even though I "hate" Hondas. I never fault anyone for buying what they want because that is the best reason: It's what they want. Before my 2014 300 E-start ever gets a drop of gas in it, I plan on changing tires, exhaust, and removing the items that KTM does not provide in order to get a more "apples to apples" comparison when I get the chance to weigh the KTM 300 XC. Once it's complete and I start riding, I will take my scale with me riding this year and see how much ready to ride KTMs really are (the scale will be in the truck and not riding for all of the snarky internet folks!). That should be eye opening!

One last thing so everyone knows where I'm coming from before folks start saying "what does he know": I'm a former AMA District 6 Hare Scrambles number one, competed in 250A in AMA National Hare Scrambles, I've won my class at a National Enduro, I have a room with a lot of ECEA enduro trophies/plaques, and I have a BS in Engineering. Now, with all of that and $5.00 I can get a coffee at Starbucks!

Eric

2003 KX/KDX 220 hybrid
2021 Kawasaki KRX 1000 Trail Edition
1974-86 Vintage Can Ams, SWMs, Puchs, etc.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:16 AM

This whole weight topic is getting very old!!! If you own and ride a GG you all know these are one of the best handling bikes to ride with one of the best low torque motors. If you want to ride a orange pumpkin like everyone else then more power to you. But If want to be a bit different and ride without having to work hard and exhausted then ride a GasGas!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2014, 02:31 PM

It's really something this weight issue ... it's the only thing they can throw at GG... pathetic ...
Whenever I feel I'm being "looked down" by the kool-aid gang it simply puts a grin on my face to know they are riding an overpriced, unstable, difficult to turn and unbalanced "ready to race" piece of history
For all you that have a clear knowledge of what a great handling bike should be get a GG (at least) . For all the rest, there's a KTM.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:46 PM

Who cares if they weigh a few more pounds , I just want to ride , I've never had I bike that steers so well and I don't want to be the same as every other guy on the line , I'm out for a night ride with a guy that's just got a 2014 300 sherco , I may grab a go on that to see if I'm missing something ...... But I'll bet I'm still happy with my bike
Old 02-16-2014, 09:50 AM

I'm not offended at all about the weight conversation on the bikes, in fact I'm entertained by it. I'm more comfortable on my GGs than any KTM I've thrown a leg over so I keep riding them.

Interesting...
I have a 2011 300 6-days like the one weighed by Coopernicus earlier, so I started looking at the numbers a little more. The GG 6-days came in at 238 lbs (no fuel/oil) with a skid plate and headlight. When I bought mine, the first thing I did was remove the headlight and put on a nice light Honda number plate. That's ~3 lbs (guess), so maybe the 6-days is down to 235 lbs. The 2014 KTM300XC claims a weight of 229 with no headlight and no skid plate (bare bones) so add an aluminum EE skid plate to that at about 4 lbs and now your at 233 lbs. Hmmmmm. So in reality at roughly the same weight the GG has a more stable feel on the trail and turns better.

To the 2014 GG: Headlight + battery + electric start (bulky) with no oil or fuel it's 251 lbs. The only offered U.S. version which is a bummer. 5 lbs battery, 4-5 lbs bulky electric starter (you can remove), the headlight ~3 lbs. ~12 lbs of stuff to remove to make it similar to the 2014 KTM300XC (229 lbs claimed). 229 vs 239 lbs.....

Get one and you'll probably choose your favorite skid plate, bark busters, foot pegs, graphics, radiator guards.....bla bla bla.... adding a lot of weight to both bikes. ~10 lbs is nothing unless your curling the bike or carrying it out of the woods on your back. This has been a load of crap thrown out by pumpkin surfers because they love talking up the pumpkin pie. I'll bet this subject has scared some away from trying a GG. The flaws of the 2012s didn't help any....I bought one, and then sold it. It's a shame that the 2011s were becoming popular here in Va when they showed up and the 2012s knocked about half of those riders back to some other brand. GG dropped the ball big time as the opportunity to grab a huge chunk of the Eastern woods racing/Enduro market slipped through their fingers, leaving the door open for Beta and Sherco.

GG should ship a 2014 Race version stripped down like the orange XC model so it can dispel the myth of "excessively heavy."

Possible I missed something, feel free to correct me if my reading of the numbers is out to lunch.
2015 Beta 300
2016 Beta 300RE
2016 Beta 350RE
Old 02-16-2014, 10:18 AM

quote from Country Cycles in KTMtalk classifieds
Quote:
O K Here you go. On Our Super accurate Shipping Scale L O L (It is pretty accurate) The new 2014 300XC E weighs 229lbs 4 oz and that is with a Shorai battery and about 1/2 gallon of fuel so figure the Battery at 1.7 lbs lighter then the stocker. So a and a bit over 230lbs my guess is about 6-7lbs worth of E start but it do's sping it over better then a KTM 250 or 300. Tomorrow I will weigh the 2013 300XC E for Poops and Giggles also I will convert the the K G to lbs to see how accurate GAS GAS reports
Old 02-16-2014, 01:21 PM
Banned

Weight topic=Zzzzzzz!

As of yesterday my riding buddy has parked his new 13' kx450f in my garage. Its shiny, and I have zero desire to swing a leg over it. Just goes to show you ride what you like regardless of what the media tells you. That is unless you are media driven?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2014, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Hahah! My 2013R feels loads heavier to 'lift' in the shed than my 2010. On the trail it feels narrower between the knees and equally as nimble, with perhaps a bit more high speed stability.

We've been over it numerous times. The horse has stopped kicking long ago and is starting to resemble mince now.

While everyones hung up on numbers, the gassers extra weight generally equates to stability and durability. Both very attractive traits in a dirt bike. The only area where I think ktm/berg(sky) have the upper hand is in the overall fit and finish, and dedicated suspension suppliers. It feels like Gas Gas sources its bits from different places every year (and sometimes even during a year). How many combinations of Sachs (shocks and forks)/Marzocchi (various sized forks)/Ohlins (shocks and forks) have there been over the years?
Old 02-16-2014, 09:16 PM

And now we have Reiger shocks to deal with. From what I've heard, (which is very very little) The shocks will be good. But every day I look at this forum hoping for a decent review of the bike and the initial impressions of the shock. I'm tempted to buy a new bike this year, but I'd like a lot to have SOME feedback of the new shock first..

Is there any info out there?
Old 02-16-2014, 09:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_green View Post
And now we have Reiger shocks to deal with. From what I've heard, (which is very very little) The shocks will be good. But every day I look at this forum hoping for a decent review of the bike and the initial impressions of the shock. I'm tempted to buy a new bike this year, but I'd like a lot to have SOME feedback of the new shock first..

Is there any info out there?
Not any info, but thought it was a cool video of the factory and seeing some of the machining done to build the shocks. Do a search on Rieger. You will come up with quite a bit of info. They seem to be a well known secret if that makes sense? They are a company that will take your great suspension and make it outstanding.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA4Mzn21eN4

Last edited by desertgasser300; 02-17-2014 at 09:51 AM.